• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Streaming The Future of Anime Kids' Programming?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Some people enjoy the feel of sitting around and being along for the ride. i have a friend that comes over and will insist to not play games, but get plenty of time in watching me play whatever game. It frankly puts me out because i think he'd get bored. But he doesn't. Its just his thing.

Some people donate because they are trying to give back to someone who is fun enough to watch, for a world where physical friends are harder than ever to keep, this means the world to some.

Also some people make donations so they can be e-famous for 5 seconds.

As to the main topic issue, I was streaming a lot in the past year moreso than anything, to the point where I forgot about some shows that weren't on the platforms I used. Streaming is real nice, but it does risk fracturing the audience for anime. Maybe we'll get a big merger in a few years, and won't have to hop between several sites/services.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I guess it makes me an old fart that all of these big streaming service hold no real appeal to me at all, though I do admittedly follow several YouTubers pretty closely.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
But there's a lot of people who donate money to these YouTubers. Actual money. To watch them play video games they've could've bought with those donations.

I don't get people.

Youtubers are entertainers. People don't watch them just for the game, they watch them for the personality playing it. Do you snub your nose at people donating to buskers on the street? After all, they could've bought an instrument with that money amirite

Kids love youtubers because they have larger-than-life and wacky personalities on screen. Us older folk find them annoying as shit, but clearly kids like it. Have you ever looked at kids entertainment when you're older? Often times it's screechy and annoying as hell, but kids like that kind of thing.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
GVman wrote:
But there's a lot of people who donate money to these YouTubers. Actual money. To watch them play video games they've could've bought with those donations.

I don't get people.

Youtubers are entertainers. People don't watch them just for the game, they watch them for the personality playing it. Do you snub your nose at people donating to buskers on the street? After all, they could've bought an instrument with that money amirite

May I ask WHY we're suddenly talking about YouTubers when the article meant "Streaming" = "Subscription, ie. Netflix/Amazon/Hulu"? Or do we not watch those services from where we post?
I seem to recall the poster mentioning Netflix's Glitter Force as the reason for asking his question.

(And as noted, NAH tends to be the only place to find children's shows anymore, or at least the wandering journeyman syndicates of DiC, Saban and the Jim Henson Company, and other folk who wanted to put on a show in their backyard and sell it.)
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
speaking of Glitter Force,Saban didn't have the restrictions of a syndication or a broadcast network,and yet,dubbed it as if it was one with all those typical bullshits that edited dubs from the 90's and early 00's had...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
There's something inherently American (in a good way) about watching on demand. I'm not going to wait till 1am Saturday to watch a show. I'm gonna watch when I feel like it. It's gonna be unedited and it's gonna be on my time, not theirs.

This is where TV is going. And it's why people are getting shows like Daredevil and Orange is the new Black, shows that aren't going to air on networks.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping Miraculous is the shot in the arm everyone is hoping for. By coincidence, it's on Nickelodeon.

johnnysasaki wrote:
speaking of Glitter Force,Saban didn't have the restrictions of a syndication or a broadcast network,and yet,dubbed it as if it was one with all those typical bullshits that edited dubs from the 90's and early 00's had...

For one thing, you are not the target audience.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
"both kids and adults alike are all practically drowning in shows fighting for their attention. And as the choices become more and more vast, it will become harder and harder for a new show to stand out from the crowd."

Good. More competition means more effort into production and less garbage.
SpikesGrrl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I was browsing Netflix and I saw the first season of Rurouni Kenshin listed so I just clicked on it and it was the sub version, and I said wow Netflix is streaming it, they also have the Saint Seiya Hades Chapter all 3 OVA's

Mary
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Have you ever looked at kids entertainment when you're older? Often times it's screechy and annoying as hell, but kids like that kind of thing.

I have but I generally don't single those shows out for those reasons it's generally because the wonky and redundant writing which too many people think is something exclusive to a lot of modern kids shows.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
My family got rid of cable a few years ago because it was a waste of money and what's the point when there's Hulu (although there are some shows that aren't on there)? I very rarely watch anything on Netflix.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I think that streaming kids anime on services, such as Netflix, Hulu, and Viewster is a great idea! Because not that many anime are airing on American TV nowadays and many people are watching them online and/or on DVD, this would definitely be a great opportunity for long-running kids anime series very obscure here in the US, such as Ojarumaru, Soreike! Anpanman, Chibi Maruko-chan, and Nintama Rantarou to finally get dubbed and released here via streaming.

The advantage of streaming them instead of trying to air them on TV is that not as many edits would be need to be done and the overall quality of the older episodes wouldn't matter since streaming services do tend to pick up old shows that were produced in 480p and in 4:3 aspect ratio. Meanwhile, most American TV networks nowadays don't like airing old shows that are produced in 480p and in 4:3 aspect ratio if they haven't been released here a long time ago. And yes, I'm aware that the Glitter Force is edited and half of the episodes are skipped, but that's probably because Saban considered getting it on TV at first, but after they couldn't find a network that would take it, they decided to get their dub streamed on Netflix instead.

Last edited by epicwizard on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The other shows that followed that theme, like Tokyo Mewmew/Mew Mew Power, didn't have as strong of a story as did Sailor Moon.

From what I remember, 4Kids dropped it because they couldn't really get good merchandise going for it, which is a shame. Once again, another potential show dubbed because its more about selling the toys or making merch. The ratings I think were okay at the time, so that really grinds me.

As for streaming, are we just talking about paying like Netflix or the "free" ones like watching on Youtube? I feel like this can be a big difference at times. Parents can control one thing or let their kid explore in the other.

For Let's Plays, I'm of the older demographic and I love them! Although I watch more for the games I can't play(mostly on systems I don't have), I'll gladly watch a Let's Play of a game I already played if the personality is entertaining enough. I totally get why Let's Plays are so popular. If I was a kid with less money to buy games, I would be all over it. Heck, I still enjoy watching other people play games that are local or online. Except for the young ones near me sometimes, as I feel to need to guide them or else we'll be stuck forever. Razz
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
I don't use streaming services with the exception of Funimation for my Anime needs I have Directv so I'm like the Average American from the 90s just lay back on the couch and watch whatever seems interesting or tune to shows I am currently keeping up on such as Archer or MLP but sadly a lot of my shows are ending like Mythbusters and Gravity Falls which really sucks because now I have less options well I guess there's always reruns. Confused
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
I rarely watch the TV except for maybe one or two regular television shows or sports. Everything else I watch is on Youtube, Netflix, Nico Douga, or Gyao. And personally it feels good because I have my choice of what I want to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3