• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Actors Interested in Japanese Pop Culture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
diadumenian wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Alright folks lets watch the angst and flame bait comments/photos. I already removed a few. Thanks.

Seriously, what's with all the hate?

I think some less attentive fans are STILL under the impression that Lucas was involved with the final version of TFA (he wasn't, that's why it's good), and use that misapprehension to put it on the same punishment pile as the PT and the SE's.
Certainly, for all the pre-release talk of "Luke's going to be starring in it, is he going to turn evil? Is the movie going to out-open Jurassic World and out-all-time Avatar?", the fans only had themselves to blame for not taking the movie as it came.

That said, it would have been nice to have had an actual villain in the movie instead of Kylo Ren. Sad
There was also a lot of hype about Captain Phasma, who--like Boba Fett and Darth Maul--seemed like she had the makings of a good villain if she'd been in the actual movie for more than five minutes of screentime.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh goodness, Boyega and Ridley are so cute, I love them both so much! It's cool that they're interested, especially with Daisy and Studio Ghibli. I wonder if she gets excited at every new movie and watches them all. >u<

I also find some of these comments amusing. You guys are criticizing them for liking the very titles that are most popular in Japan and would also be most familiar to most people in Japan. Not everyone in Japan is into anime the way anime fans here are. There's a reason titles like One Piece (and Naruto, of course) sell so much and are so ubiquitous. If anything, we should be glad they're interested, that they said as much, and at least know what they're talking about when they mention it. Those weren't empty or vague comments, lol.

If I ever get to either of them (though I would love to meet both TTuTT), I would totally recommend stuff for them to try.
Jedi Master Kirito

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I have watched a lot more than just Naruto and Studio Ghibli films, but they are still my favourite anime. They are also some of the most recognisable anime in both Japan and the West; it is hardly surprising that the actors would mention them. There is no reason to doubt the actors' sincerity.

As for TFA, it is the worst of the seven (although it is still very good). Abrams should have done something more bold than just rehashing ANH.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
It's not about the movie, it's about selling the toys to a new generation. Wink
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It's not about the movie, it's about selling the toys to a new generation. Wink

Well, TECHNICALLY, it's about Disney trying to cement legal authorship rights on Lucasfilm's franchise by producing their own movie in-house (why do you think we got Terminator:Genisys, the Disney Muppets movie, and all those Pixar sequels?)--

But at least they had the good sense to hire geek-fans and do a "real" Star Wars movie this time (ie. pulling out all the stops to get Kasdan back, and shoot on real physical locations).
That was a good lesson Disney learned from buying Marvel: "Never underestimate the core old-generation geeks, they're Keepers of the Flame." Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was a website dedicated to discussing anime but okay.

Yeah, Episode 7 was a great movie. Liked it a lot. Really looking forward to the next one. A solid 5/7 from me. That's a perfect score.

Last edited by Jayhosh on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I hate this community. I really do. Thanks to these threads for continually decreasing the joy I get out of anything anime related due to their toxic cynicism and asinine comments.

Wanna know why they probably brought up a studio as popular as Studio Ghibli? Because their films are f*cking national treasures and timeless art. Sorry, I realize that the criteria for something to be considered good from Japan is that it has to be obscure and little known, even in the fandom itself. Unlike us sheep-minded Americans who instead latch on to popular and well-received stuff like Breaking Bad and Quentin Tarantino films. But you true fans know better than that, right? Because of course, liking popular shows and movies makes you nothing more than a filthy casual, or whatever lame title they're using these days (plebs?).

Yes, I'm a fan of Japanese cinema as well. And you can be damn sure I'll be mentioning the films of Studio Ghibli to back that appreciation up. But I also might bring up Satoshi Kon, so don't worry, the obscurity factor is still there for you cynics.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, its a fact that people who are in the film making business knows what is happening around the world. For example, in Japan it has been a long tradition in manga and anime of having female main characters even in stuff made for male audiences, such as Nausicaa or Ghost in the Shell.

Force Awakens also uses the same formula, its a movie for a predominantly male audience and has female main character. The reason is that female main characters appeal to both male and female demographics. In a way the new Star Wars movie reminded me of Nausicaa, with the girl in the desert and the cute pet (robot), although obviously the rest of the plot is heavily based on ANH.

Also super happy to know that they will be releasing Only Yesterday in the US. Its one of the finest animated films of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote
Depends on the kind of story and your audience. Something like The Wizard of Oz appeals to both male and female viewers because it never really had a demographic in mind, whereas American hero comic books have long struggled to have female protagonists, as it has an established audience that is largely uninterested in identifying with women, and attempts to sell to women have resulted in neither audience buying them (non-hero comics are not like this, as can be seen with Archie and some of IDW's output).

More so for action or adventure animated TV aimed at kids, as toys of female characters have long sold poorly with little boys, an audience for whom girls are still mysterious and icky. (For instance, you don't have to dig far to read about the struggles for Sym-Bionic Titan, a series whose protagonist is a princess, and the difficulties in finding a toy company that would make action figures for it. And there is a reason why when Cardcaptor Sakura was first localized, they marketed Li as the protagonist rather than Sakura.)

The tide has only started turning very recently. You have movies like Brave and the Hunger Games series (and to a lesser extent, Frozen, but in that case it's mostly Olaf) that have successfully appealed to girls and boys alike, not to mention Star vs. the Forces of Evil on TV, though there's still quite a ways to go for this cultural shift, as well as executives and producers still insistent on the idea that girls and boys have completely separate tastes (but they are still right a lot of the time). On the side of superheroes, notice that despite seemingly anything and everything from DC and Marvel getting live-action adaptations, there is still not one female protagonist. (Maybe Elektra.) There is a Wonder Woman movie stuck in development hell, however.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

On the side of superheroes, notice that despite seemingly anything and everything from DC and Marvel getting live-action adaptations, there is still not one female protagonist. (Maybe Elektra.) There is a Wonder Woman movie stuck in development hell, however.

If you're including TV series, there's Supergirl - which even got a plug via president candidate Jeb Bush calling her pretty hot during the campaign. Laughing

leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I forgot about that--I had the movies in mind. Nevertheless, just a decade ago, such a thing would've been unthinkable. There was even a Powerpuff Girls episode that discussed the unmarketability of female heroes during its time (and I'm sure the show's staff had firsthand experience). The Force Awakens having a female protagonist spoiler[and a female antagonist], though, wouldn't matter much, as it's Star Wars and thus droves of people will go to see it regardless of the protagonist's gender.

I'll look forward to hearing how Supergirl turns out, ratings-wise. I'm curious to see if female superheroes can catch on with the public without being mostly attached to a male superhero. (Though I would've liked DC to feature one who isn't a derivative of a male superhero, like Wonder Woman, Huntress, or Zatanna, this is a good first step. Maybe she'll become Power Girl later on.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3