• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Actors Interested in Japanese Pop Culture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lusbox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
She's saying that the dub for that particular character will be better in Japanese, as she did the English dub herself.

As for the film, i absolutely loved it and it definitely felt like Star Wars.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
How dare people from outside Japan only be familiar with the most popular of Japanese pop culture. If they were real anime fans they would know about every new anime release and praise directors of niche anime that most people would not be aware of even in Japan.

I'm sure some of their wording is marketing and catering to a Japanese audience, but I'm not going to complain if people are only familiar with franchises that have international recognition. John Boyega and Daisy Ridley are both 23 years old, I doubt they were exposed to a lot of anime before the market crashed, and I doubt they sought out much of it.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Personally I can understand Daisy Ridley's sentiment of thinking that Only Yesterday would naturally be better in Japanese, simply because the movie itself is a very Japanese story about a Japanese woman and her life in 60's and 80's Japan. I think a lot of immersion and nuance gets lost when trying to present a specifically Japanese setting with an English audio track.

I liked the new Star Wars movie (I personally try to forget the prequels existed), though I think its retreading of the original trilogy held it back from excelling in the areas that it was the most entertaining (specifically the new characters, who were all compelling and fun to watch). Rey's character in particular was more awesome than I was expecting, and I very much look forward to the next film.
ChaosTheory

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
ChaosTheory wrote:
Such an awful movie, it's certainly not Star Wars.

I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will, but I did see Abram's take on Star Trek and found it to be definitely not Star Trek. Would you say he did the same thing with Star Wars? Personally having both Disney and Abrams attached to the movie, in addition to just being a casual fan of Star Wars to begin with, didn't spark a huge anticipation like other people were for the movie. I wonder if Disney will ever do a Star Wars/MCU crossover of some kind.

Absolutely. Many Star Trek fans can be found to be saying 'yep saw that coming sorry Star Wars brethern' (paraphrasing of course). The movie has no heart, just like Star Trek. I really know how justified the anger of Star Trek fans is now (although personally it turns out my opinion was always roughly the same as angry/sad trekkers, I thought dialogue was solid, characters were great and visuals were in Star Trek but the story sucked big time).

Personally I find TFA to be even worst then the Treks. The cast sucks and the dialogue is cheap. The only reason TFA won't be forgotten is because there are 2 more episodes coming. Otherwise it'd be just as forgotten as the Star Trek movies already are.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Alright folks lets watch the angst and flame bait comments/photos. I already removed a few. Thanks.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who's seen Attack the Block will appreciate the irony of Boyega bringing up Naruto. Cool
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
If people said they're interested in American pop culture and mentioned a couple of high profile shows, would people doubt them?

Also, Mark Hamill in his teens attended Yokohama high school:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/12/mark-hamill-to-host-star-wars-special-connecting-sports-and-lightsaber-duels/

• Hamill, who reprises his role of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, lived in Japan for his last two years of high school and is very familiar with kendo.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't know everyone is so cynical. I didn't have a problem with Daisy Ridley's comments. These people were kids once. They might have actually seen some anime and read manga. It doesn't all have to be total PR. Some people do have an interest in other cultures. There have been some people in the entertainment industry that were geeks growing up or closet geeks too. Ok the Naruto comment did have me rolling my eyes a bit (sorry Naruto fans), but it doesn't mean he's not familiar with it and is just mouthing a PR statement.

Stuart Smith wrote:
ChaosTheory wrote:

I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will, but I did see Abram's take on Star Trek and found it to be definitely not Star Trek. Would you say he did the same thing with Star Wars?

I saw the Force Awakens. Its miles better than the prequels. Better acting, better pacing, more fun. But! I found it to be only ok and yes he's doing what he did in Star Trek however not to the same extremes. Seriously, it makes me wonder if Abrams has any original ideas of his own. The first Abrams Star Trek I could accept some pandering for nostalgia's sake, but the franchise definitely has a problem boldly going anywhere else. Star Wars is vast and they don't need to reboot it with new younger versions of old favorites (which they didn't thank god), but they are recycling some stuff which they didn't need to. Hopefully the next Star Wars will build on this one and wont be Star Trek: Into Darkness.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
ChaosTheory wrote:

I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will, but I did see Abram's take on Star Trek and found it to be definitely not Star Trek. Would you say he did the same thing with Star Wars?

-Stuart Smith

As an old time fan who greatly adores both series (watched the originals when they came out), JJ should never have been allowed near Star Trek. But he was born to direct Star Wars. This film is an homage and love letter to the first, and captures the spirit of it unlike any of the others. It's not as good, imo, as IV and V, but it's far superior to 1-3. It's the movie I wanted to see when The Phantom Menace came out. I'd give it a B+.

Ridley was just being modest about the dub. Is the art of reading subtext dead?
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
Don't really ever read the comments on here that often, but was curious what people would say about this. Glad to see people are still classy
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
I also heard Daisy Ridley enjoyed the manga of Death Note which made her character's code name (used to disguise her character's real name much like the whole Blue Harvest thing) Kira rather ironic.

Also, oh man my mind can't even fathom some of the complaints about TFA. The cast was likable and fun to watch, it had a sense of adventure and good pacing, and there were plenty of hilarious and cool moments. I don't even get the "it's quite similar to ANH" complains, because (and I'm sure people will get super-sore that I said that) ANH ages the most poorly of the OT. The fact that it was only one of the OT to be directed by Lucas certainly didn't help hence some occasionally awkward dialogue, a few of the actors merely being adequate (who got better in 5 and 6 likely due to better directors*), and some odd decisions like how spoiler[one old man Luke knew for less than a day gets more of an emotional moment over it than his own aunt and uncle!]

(*note: I'm not saying Lucas doesn't have some strong elements as a director, but he has some serious flaws as well)

I mean, 4 is still a great movie, but I'd rank them 5 > 6 > 7 > 4 > prequels. ANH really isn't that hard to top in film quality so TFA having some similar plot elements doesn't really bother me as honestly I think it handled those plot elements better.

I also can't take a good deal of the complainers about the new Star Treks seriously either. Sorry guys but when I hear a massive amount of ST fans actually voted Into Darkness as the worst ST movie (over the infamous 5 or the moronic "let's not inconvenience this small community even if billions of lives could be saved from it" plot of 9) it makes me think people were never going to give these new movies a chance simply because there's more action and it's a different cast playing the original characters.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I also heard Daisy Ridley enjoyed the manga of Death Note which made her character's code name (used to disguise her character's real name much like the whole Blue Harvest thing) Kira rather ironic.

Also, oh man my mind can't even fathom some of the complaints about TFA. The cast was likable and fun to watch, it had a sense of adventure and good pacing, and there were plenty of hilarious and cool moments. I don't even get the "it's quite similar to ANH" complains, because (and I'm sure people will get super-sore that I said that) ANH ages the most poorly of the OT. The fact that it was only one of the OT to be directed by Lucas certainly didn't help hence some occasionally awkward dialogue, a few of the actors merely being adequate (who got better in 5 and 6 likely due to better directors*), and some odd decisions like how spoiler[one old man Luke knew for less than a day gets more of an emotional moment over it than his own aunt and uncle!]

(*note: I'm not saying Lucas doesn't have some strong elements as a director, but he has some serious flaws as well)

I mean, 4 is still a great movie, but I'd rank them 5 > 6 > 7 > 4 > prequels. ANH really isn't that hard to top in film quality so TFA having some similar plot elements doesn't really bother me as honestly I think it handled those plot elements better.

I also can't take a good deal of the complainers about the new Star Treks seriously either. Sorry guys but when I hear a massive amount of ST fans actually voted Into Darkness as the worst ST movie (over the infamous 5 or the moronic "let's not inconvenience this small community even if billions of lives could be saved from it" plot of 9) it makes me think people were never going to give these new movies a chance simply because there's more action and it's a different cast playing the original characters.

RE Star Wars IV, which version was the one you've seen? Have you ever seen the original theatrical release? We re-watched ANH and the others a few weeks ago and it was a mess and not like i remembered at all. Then I got my hands on the original version and watched, and despite some terrible special effects it was sharply paced, tense, exciting, all I'd remembered. All the things Lucas inserted or removed completely threw the pacing off. For example, the last battle was completely boring in the 90s version on because of rearranged and changed shots, robbing it off all tension and excitement. Lucas has specialized it into something not so special anymore. Sad

RE Star Trek, I think you're wrong about most fans. We wanted to love it. And heck, there was a lot about the first movie I liked. But the second movie was terrible. You want to talk plot holes? There were at least 30 or 40 in Into Darkness, some glaringly huge. But the main complaint we have is that Abrams doesn't get the spirit of Star Trek, which isn't about being just another fast-paced action movie. It's about the relationships on a star ship in a universe that's bigger and better than ours, and if the movie doesn't start with that basic understanding then it's not Star Trek. (I think this was a problem with most of the Next Gen movies as well, some of which were just as bad. 5 at least understood the relationship part.) But I'm really looking forward to the new one. I like Justin Lin and I know he's a huge ST fan, and so is Simon Pegg who helped write it. The trailer looks fun.
diadumenian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Alright folks lets watch the angst and flame bait comments/photos. I already removed a few. Thanks.

Seriously, what's with all the hate? It's awesome for the actors and director to give shout-outs to anime/manga and J-pop icons, and it's clearly more than pandering to the local audience. Sounds like Daisy is in the "prefer subs but you gotta dub" category, and it's cool for a world-famous actress to even take a position. Lighten up people.

As for TFA, it's obviously a setup movie but it lays a great foundation for what's to come. My ranks would be 5 > 4 > 6 > 7 > prequels, but I'm looking forward to 8 for sure. More Phasma please!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
ChaosTheory wrote:

No. Most definitely and gratefully not. And take that coming from a raised encyclopedic Trek fan who hated Abrams' Khan-geek-stunt of "Trek:Into Darkness" with a burning murderous passion. Evil or Very Mad (Age of Ultron, Transformers 2, Temple of Doom, how many times do we have to tell you, people, don't get the same director to do his own hit sequel, he'll think it's "his" movie and throw it down the toilet!)
There is a little brief misleading flash of Abrams/Trek-ism in the opening Stormtrooper attack (and in Abrams constantly wanting to use Edgar Wright actors in the Millennium Falcon scene), and in the idea of Finn and Rey being the new "young kids" of the old franchise, but old-generation Lawrence Kasdan keeps the script in disciplined check.
Simply put, this is the movie we WANTED Phantom Menace to be, sixteen years ago, and fell to the floor when it wasn't.

Coincidentally enough, I'd happened upon HuluPlus' arthouse Criterion collection, and watched Hidden Fortress just for fun without realizing I was doing it before the ritual watching of Ep. IV...
And if you're Original-Trilogy Generation and haven't seen C-3Tahei, R2-Matakichi and Princess LeiYuki yet, you're missing out. Smile

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will, but I did see Abram's take on Star Trek and found it to be definitely not Star Trek. Would you say he did the same thing with Star Wars? Personally having both Disney and Abrams attached to the movie, in addition to just being a casual fan of Star Wars to begin with, didn't spark a huge anticipation like other people were for the movie. I wonder if Disney will ever do a Star Wars/MCU crossover of some kind.

-Stuart Smith

It already happened in Disney Infinity.

sunflower wrote:
RE Star Trek, I think you're wrong about most fans. We wanted to love it. And heck, there was a lot about the first movie I liked. But the second movie was terrible. You want to talk plot holes? There were at least 30 or 40 in Into Darkness, some glaringly huge. But the main complaint we have is that Abrams doesn't get the spirit of Star Trek, which isn't about being just another fast-paced action movie. It's about the relationships on a star ship in a universe that's bigger and better than ours, and if the movie doesn't start with that basic understanding then it's not Star Trek. (I think this was a problem with most of the Next Gen movies as well, some of which were just as bad. 5 at least understood the relationship part.) But I'm really looking forward to the new one. I like Justin Lin and I know he's a huge ST fan, and so is Simon Pegg who helped write it. The trailer looks fun.

I read a bunch of comments from Star Trek fans about the Abrams reboot movies here, and comparing it with what people were saying on IMDb and the like when it was new and from Star Trek fans I've chatted with, I get the impression that the Abrams Star Trek movies were never meant to appeal to existing Star Trek fans, but rather, people who were previously unfamiliar with Star Trek.

That is, Abrams's Star Trek is the franchise's counterpart to Nintendo's Wii.

Also, I should mention that I hang around movie fans (particularly Hollywood fans) more so than I do Star Trek fans, and to this day, I am still hearing from non-fans about how awesome the Abrams movies were, even more so on the weeks leading up to the release of The Force Awakens.

I should eventually get around to seeing them--my father was a Star Trek fan, so I grew up watching a lot of it (though he saw them out of order and constantly jumped between series so I didn't really understand much of it), so maybe I'll get a better understanding of this schism in that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3