• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Finalists Announced in "Japan's Cutest High School Girl" Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
If shoujo manga have taught me anything, those girls are evil, backstabbing harpies with morals lower than Donald Trump.
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
TBH, none of these girls look that good.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
My fellow citizens of the United States of America have no right to disparage the Japanese concerning this. Our schools systems are the meat grinders that produce straight 'A' students and sociopaths in equal numbers. If you want to (or not want to), you will be ranked and rated by beauty, sexiness, and class quite gleefully. We all know what happens to those ranked at the bottom.

So it is funny to hear all the bemoaning about Japan, when we are the biggest offenders.

Also, some of you need to scan through your own yearbooks again, before talking about subjective beauty.
Billy Toplady

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Who can blame if they're ugly? Even some of 48's top ranks are equally ugly, except they're already much more polished.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
So it is funny to hear all the bemoaning about Japan, when we are the biggest offenders.

Agreed. You likely wouldn't be able to find an American equivalent to this contest. Those girls appear to still have to conform to their school's dress code which means little to no makeup, no piercings or jewelry, and nothing in the hair except for the tiara. And in their winter uniforms no less. Some seem to have gotten away with nail polish, but that's it. You'd be hard pressed to find a contest in America that relied on the contestants' natural beauty, or in this case cuteness, to win.

I think this contest sends a much better message to girls, though I'm sure they don't have the sense to promote it that way.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Isn't America all about high school bikini carwashes as fundraisers to raise money for the school band? Or have trashy teen movies lied to me?

I agree with Emerje that it's something natural. No make-up or other dolled up stuff like your typical beauty pageant.

Also, last I checked high school girls were of legal consenting age so it's not a big deal anyway. Even my high school did a beauty pageant when I was a wee one back in the 90s.

-Stuart Smith
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
People are quick to judge Japan being "sick" for having High School beauty contests when the Teen USA Pageant and other Teen Pageants have been around for decades. And this is tame compared to that.

Even if those girls didn't win, them being regarded the cutest in their region isn't something to be ashamed of.

As for my opinion, well lets just say Japan's taste in beauty isn't sharing my own. Razz
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Isn't America all about high school bikini carwashes as fundraisers to raise money for the school band? Or have trashy teen movies lied to me?

-Stuart Smith

For the most part, yes. That was more of a 80s or 90s thing. That's really not a prominent things anymore (as far as I know). Considering how strict schools are with how girls dress these days, they'd never be able to get away with bikini car washes.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:29 am Reply with quote
Personally I dislike Beauty contests regardless of what country there in but at least these girls don't try to hide the truth under layers of makeup and frilly dresses, on a side note do they have to answer questions like "If you could change the world in one way what would it be" (Answered back in an annoying teenage girl voice) "I would save the oceans because oceans are Important to all the fish and to all of us" Laughing
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
Whoa Reo-chan looks like Shibata Reo from the manga "Again!!"
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Um, so it's this supposed to promote inner beauty?
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
You're way too rude, sir... At least say that they're not a good fit for your radar...
Well, I am one to talk. I also don't think that most of them are cute, though there's one or two exemptions...

Ya, I guess I used the wrong word. They are average, but they are far from being cute in the sense that they their physical appearances are insufficient to win any men over.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
... they are far from being cute in the sense that they their physical appearances are insufficient to win any men over.

You do not speak for all men. I am sure that these girls could "win over" quite a few men.
Some of them look very cute to me and, considering looks only, could almost certainly win me over when they get a few years older.

Some of the comments in this thread make me feel ashamed to be a member of this forum.
And I am very glad that there is almost no chance that those girls will ever read what was written about them here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:
You're way too rude, sir...
Ya, I guess I used the wrong word. They are average, but they are far from being cute in the sense that they their physical appearances are insufficient to win any men over.
I wouldn't assume cute girls are trying to "get a man" (if so, comment is skeevy) but I hope your phraseology means to convey that a truly cute girl would touch a man's heart with a feeling of "moe" whereas these girls don't do that for you. I was more struck with the fact that for winning regional contests, these girls don't look too thrilled. Also, I agree wholeheartedly with TarsTarkas since my recently graduated daughter tells me that media, parents and classmates in our US high schools are constantly berating girls unless they look like super-models and act like Miley Cyrus. Thats why teen suicide continues to rise, so let's get people to stop the ridicule. For cute, I'll vote for Sakuten since she seems to be genuinely happy without a "put-on" face.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Alright people lets keep it civil and skip the trollish comments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3