• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Glitter Force Trailer Previews English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

It's written at a very elementary school level and I guess it works for its target audience, but without some of the juicier elements that Sailor Moon introduced, it's not really trying to expand its reach to anyone older than that.

Then I suppose you would be surprised then by the 20-30 YO MALE demographic that Precure also garners, call it creepy or call it whatever you want, Precure still hits a bit more aim than the child Demographic as parents aren't typically the ones buying high price tagged "accurately detailed" figures for there little kid that will forget about it in a couple years.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Fact is with kids shows, changes are always made in terms of names and plot. Shows targeted at an older audience are usually left unchanged because the older fans are often familiar with the original Japanese version and would never buy a highly edited DVD release (which is how these companies usually make money).

Kids are almost never familiar with the original Japanese version so the changes won't bother them at all. For example as a kid I liked Cardcaptors but I was completely unaware that it was a localized version of Cardcaptor Sakura with a lot of changes made to it. I still like it but it's more because of nostalgia like with Digimon.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Children's anime dubs have come a pretty long way, for the most part. Look at Yokai Watch - it has localized names, but keeps the original Japanese soundtrack/silences, and has very little in terms of script, plot or characterization changes. They even went as far as dubbing the opening and endings, the latter of which has never been done for a kid's anime before.

As for the male fans of Precure, from what I understand the fighting/action element of the show helps attract them. I personally know of a couple of guys who don't even like magical girls, but make an exception for Precure.

Come to think of it, perhaps Saban could've benefited from localizing it in a way like DiC did with Sailor Moon. DiC tried to go for a more "this show can appeal to both girls AND boys" approach, while Saban seems focused solely on the girls angle.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Yo-kai Watch is a very recent example though, and in the waters of Disney XD, which has been burned twice in anime (though for different reasons). I do want Yo-kai Watch's anime to succeed, but I am worried about it because of its channel and it being a faithful adaptation aimed at western kids being largely untested. It also faces HUGE competition, not just in the loads of domestic kids' entertainment already vying for their attention, but the move away from action and towards fast-paced slapstick comedy and Diary of a Wimpy Kid style slice-of-life.

I like what I've seen of Yo-kai Watch, but it feels dated, as if it was a product of the previous decade.

infamoustakai wrote:
Laura Bailey? You have my attention. The rest of the cast sounds very familiar too, so it's certainly a high quality group of actors.

After reading the premise, it's pretty much My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic but with magical girls. With that said, I'd give it a shot if I had Netflix.

Might ask a friend for his credentials.

Maybe the season openers and finales, but not the regular sitcom episodes. Unless Glitter Force just gets some episodes where the main characters resolve more mundane conflicts that don't involve evildoers or fighting in any way. (That being said, we did have Japanese fans who saw the "Twilight's Kingdom" two-parter and them immediately comparing the last part of it to Precure.)

I couldn't put my finger on who was narrating, but yeah, that is definitely Laura Bailey. She seems to be using her Omochao voice.

Panzer Vor wrote:
Laura Bailey hasn't been in anything Funimation-related (other than Soul Eater Not!) in a long time. Like Troy Baker, she's been too busy with teh vidya to bother with animu for the last few years.

Well, she DID start with voicing for video games as Chun-Li.

Guile wrote:
It's just a shame it's been ignored in America until now, and the first exposure Americans will get is this heavily altered dub.

That's the Girl Show Ghetto for you. I don't know how pronounced it is elsewhere, but in North America, at least, males tend to stay away from media aimed at females as there's a cultural stigma. It's not just Precure, but pretty much EVERYTHING aimed at girls and women.

1dbad wrote:
The uncensored show that aired in Japan was aimed at the exact target audience Saban is aiming for. While it would certainly need to be dubbed to appeal to kids here, very little (if any) changes are really necessary to appeal to kids here. (and a more faithful dub could've kept fans of the original alongside the new kids audience) That's why people are so shocked they're going to all this trouble to localize it, because it feels pointless.

I don't really know that much about the source material, but unless it was written with an international audience in mind, like Pokémon, I have a hard time believing it could remain unchanged due to differences in culture and media between Japan and North America. There are a lot of things seen as okay in Japan that is totally unacceptable in North America and vice versa, and there are narrative tropes common and well-liked in Japan that even little kids would find weird and off-putting in North America and vice versa.

But I'm curious: Is there really next to nothing in the anime as it was in Japan that would not anger parents somewhere?
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Well, the lead character being voiced in most Funi works, well, cool! And maybe the others from somewhere I dunno yet, but yeah, this seems to be going nicely good. Will wait on the weekend! X3

Laura Bailey hasn't been in anything Funimation-related (other than Soul Eater Not!) in a long time. Like Troy Baker, she's been too busy with teh vidya to bother with animu for the last few years.
I said most, not recent, lol. But yeah, she has been in other things too, like Leafy said, she voices Chun-Li in SFIV and V.

Also, we dunno how this show/series will pan out, and it did say "all episodes" will air on the 18th (or maybe a season split ala regular and super PR series...Anime dazed), so yeah, probable marathon-ing, just to see the difference between this and the original, we all can't pass judgment on it yet until its out.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Yo-kai Watch is a very recent example though, and in the waters of Disney Anime hyper, which has been burned twice in anime (though for different reasons). I do want Yo-kai Watch's anime to succeed, but I am worried about it because of its channel and it being a faithful adaptation aimed at western kids being largely untested. It also faces HUGE competition, not just in the loads of domestic kids' entertainment already vying for their attention, but the move away from action and towards fast-paced slapstick comedy and Diary of a Wimpy Kid style slice-of-life.

I'm not really worried about the faithful adaptation part. I've seen kids as young as 6-7 watch Naruto's extremely faithful dub, and LOVE it. The fact that even more localized series like Pokemon, Beyblade, Digimon, etc. are becoming more faithful nowadays seems to suggest the newer generations aren't that bothered by it. That's not to say I don't think the Yo-Kai Watch will fail, just that if it does I imagine it'll be due o other factors like Disney X D or competition. So far though it actually seems to be doing fairly well, from my understanding. Not a huge success, but well enough that it doesn't seem in any danger of going anywhere anytime soon.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't know how pronounced it is elsewhere, but in North America, at least, males tend to stay away from media aimed at females as there's a cultural stigma. It's not just Precure, but pretty much EVERYTHING aimed at girls and women.

True. We still have a way to go in that regard, but we do seem to be slowly but surely progressing. More and more guys are owning up to liking things aimed at females, and audiences seem to be becoming more accepting of females playing bigger roles in things aimed at guys too.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't really know that much about the source material, but unless it was written with an international audience in mind, like Pokémon, I have a hard time believing it could remain unchanged due to differences in culture and media between Japan and North America. There are a lot of things seen as okay in Japan that is totally unacceptable in North America and vice versa, and there are narrative tropes common and well-liked in Japan that even little kids would find weird and off-putting in North America and vice versa.

But I'm curious: Is there really next to nothing in the anime as it was in Japan that would not anger parents somewhere?

There's still a bit of cultural differences there, but not a lot. A lot of it is stuff that can be wrote around or adapted, like changing a manzai contest into a comedy contest. But there really isn't much in the way of objectionable content, compared to your usual shonens or even some shojos. I say all of this as someone who has actually watched the Japanese version too, though admittedly I have not seen as much as I'm sure others have.

Last edited by 1dbad on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Well too early to worry about changes I suppose, all we know for sure is that name's will be changed. Only reason people are worried is because of the odd episode count given.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
It makes me glad Sailor Moon was spared from censorship when it was dubbed. Wow, there's a sentence I never expected to write.
I'll be watching vanilla Moon or Crystal and find myself marveling at hearing it in English by some of my favorite actors.
More to the point, I feel for the dubbing team. They work under orders of their employers, not what they might have done themselves. If they haven't already, I'm sure they'll be getting hate mail and death threats by some hardcore fans.
They just can't win here, no matter what they do, aside from turning in the best performances they can.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I'm not really worried about the faithful adaptation part. I've seen kids as young as 6-7 watch Naruto's extremely faithful dub, and LOVE it. The fact that even more localized series like Pokemon, Beyblade, Digimon, etc. are becoming more faithful nowadays seems to suggest the newer generations aren't that bothered by it. That's not to say I don't think the Yo-Kai Watch will fail, just that if it does I imagine it'll be due o other factors like Disney X D or competition. So far though it actually seems to be doing fairly well, from my understanding. Not a huge success, but well enough that it doesn't seem in any danger of going anywhere anytime soon.

Okay, that's good. Where my concern lies is that Disney XD canceled Doraemon outright (I'm not sure about the reason behind that) and eventually gave Naruto Shippuden to Toonami (I'm sure because they put it on the air without knowing how messed up it gets later on), so I think it's risky putting Yo-kai Watch on a channel that has booted an anime series twice before. That being said, that Yo-kai Watch was greenlit at all indicates there is some level of faith from the Disney XD people.

1dbad wrote:
There's still a bit of cultural differences there, but not a lot. A lot of it is stuff that can be wrote around or adapted, like changing a manzai contest into a comedy contest. But there really isn't much in the way of objectionable content, compared to your usual shonens or even some shojos. I say all of this as someone who has actually watched the Japanese version too, though admittedly I have not seen as much as I'm sure others have.

All right. I remember a lot of the edits done to shows like 4Kids' One Piece and Nelvana's Sailor Moon were to avoid upsetting parents, whether it's to hide the fact that it's from Japan, removal of religious stuff, removal of tobacco and alcohol, less revealing clothing, death being a taboo, and such. Kids don't mind any of that, but I know some parents would've. When I was little, my father would try to find any excuse to not let me watch cartoons, for instance. (Though this was because he wanted me to act more maturely, and he felt anyone who watched TV animation was immature, regardless of age.) It's interesting to hear that an anime naturally does not have any of that content without it being made for international audiences.

There have been edits made for less defensive reasons though, like the aforementioned 4Kids' One Piece skipping Little Garden so they could introduce the highly-merchandisable Chopper sooner.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

All right. I remember a lot of the edits done to shows like 4Kids' One Piece and Nelvana's Sailor Moon.

Don't you mean DiC/Cloveryway? =/
Or you may have mixed it with Cardcaptors (since that was done with Nelvana.)
Hongqilim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
In that case, I'll watch Smile Precure instead of Glitter Force.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Where my concern lies is that Disney Anime hyper canceled Doraemon outright (I'm not sure about the reason behind that) and eventually gave Naruto Shippuden to Toonami (I'm sure because they put it on the air without knowing how messed up it gets later on), so I think it's risky putting Yo-kai Watch on a channel that has booted an anime series twice before. That being said, that Yo-kai Watch was greenlit at all indicates there is some level of faith from the Disney Anime hyper people.

I hadn't realized Doraemon had been cancelled! I think Yo-Kai Watch may be a bit safer because they're pushing it pretty hard, but you never know. Disney Anime hyper is definitely not the best home for anime most of the time. And them getting Naruto Shippuden to begin with was a huge shock to me. This was a show that had been dubbed uncut, and required massive editing pretty much from the get go to air there.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
All right. I remember a lot of the edits done to shows like 4Kids' One Piece and Nelvana's Sailor Moon were to avoid upsetting parents, whether it's to hide the fact that it's from Japan, removal of religious stuff, removal of tobacco and alcohol, less revealing clothing, death being a taboo, and such. Kids don't mind any of that, but I know some parents would've. When I was little, my father would try to find any excuse to not let me watch cartoons, for instance. (Though this was because he wanted me to act more maturely, and he felt anyone who watched TV animation was immature, regardless of age.) It's interesting to hear that an anime naturally does not have any of that content without it being made for international audiences.

Yup, that's usually why edits are done. But Smile Precure lacks a lot of that! The only things from that list in it are it taking place in Japan, and death. And as for the death? It's handled in a way pretty similar to how cartoons here handle it. Like one character's father is dead, but he died before the series, and the only flashbacks we get of him are when he was alive. Precure isn't the only anime that's this way either. When it comes to anime it usually just comes down to the title. Some are more risque by our standards or heavy in cultural differences, while others aren't that different from the cartoons that air here. In general kodomo anime (things like Pokemon, Yo-Kai Watch) tends to carry over well, while shonens like One Piece usually require more editing for kid slots.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
Hongqilim wrote:
In that case, I'll watch Smile Precure instead of Glitter Force.

Good luck with that. Since there is no legal way to watch it you really have to go out of your way to find subs. I know when I looked once I couldn't find anything. Newer shows you can usually find but the older ones require some digging.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
I really do enjoy these talks of adaptations (not "accurate" dubs, that's another matter entirely). Because it really makes you wonder if they can or should be considered the same show. With other adaptations that change a lot (Ghost Stories, Cardcaptors, etc...), they only serve to make for unfair comparisons between the two.

vanfanel wrote:
It's written at a very elementary school level and I guess it works for its target audience, but without some of the juicier elements that Sailor Moon introduced, it's not really trying to expand its reach to anyone older than that.

I can't disagree more. Firstly, not all Precure series are the same. Each season is written, designed, animated, etc... by different people and the quality can vary greatly between them. One of the first series I watched, HeartCatch Precure!, was written to be very adult. It dealt with very mature themes and was able to build compelling characters and narratives even within single, filler episodes that all play a big part in expanding the universe. Seriously, no episode of Sailor Moon got me as emotionally invested as HeartCatch.

...and yes, the fighting is absolutely phenomenal.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Good luck with that. Since there is no legal way to watch it you really have to go out of your way to find subs. I know when I looked once I couldn't find anything. Newer shows you can usually find but the older ones require some digging.

Must've been a few years ago when you looked... But I do hope that the release of Glitter Force will lead to some legal subs for the series. (if not the franchise)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6