• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Will The Trans-Pacific Partnership Do To Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@mangamuscle

You seem to have a problem with the fact that certain drugs are illegal.

You seem to be ignoring (or forgetting) the fact that that mangamuscle lives in Mexico; and Mexican society has been convulsed by the "war on drugs" that has been conducted at the behest of the U.S. Need I remind you of all of the Mexican civilian casualties that can be (and have been) attributed to this misbegotten war?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
The fact that works for hire can be as much as 120 years is pathetic to me.

OK, so the TPP proposes the life+70 years. That means that Anne Franks' diary would be public domain by now. However, her foundation recently added her dad as being an author. Since he died in '80. we have until 2050 for it to hit public domain, over a century after her death and thus going around the life+70 years.

I really don't care who the copyright owner is, I think it should be (this applies to trademarks as well) should be 50 years max with no possible loopholes. If the author died, say 15 years in after their last work was published, the remaining years apply until 35 years after their death.

The techdirt 2/15/12 article, "How Much Is Enough? We've Passed 15 'Anti-Piracy' Laws In The Last 30 Years", gives a brief description of the 15 laws.

We have enough copyright reform problems as it is. How about the issue of orphan works, copyrighted works whose rights holder is unknown/unavailable? The Happy Birthday song is arguably the most famous example of this.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
@nobahn

I'm well aware of what has gone on in Mexico, to the extent it has been reported. However, I think Manga Muscle is a bit conspiracy oriented as to what goes on here.

The "war on drugs" was not an attempt by Richard Nixon to control political dissidents. It was maintained through multiple administrations because it was popular. Unfortunately, in hind site, it appears it was not very effective. It is, however, easy to see why people wanted to do something. Hard drugs do destroy lives and ruin families.

My personal belief is that drug addicts should be provided with all the drugs they want. We could turn the prison space into something like hospice care. Give them three hots and a cot and free drugs. At least they wouldn't be robbing drug stores for their latest fix and government supplied free drugs would remove the profit motive from the cartels. However, I know enough to realize that this will never come about. Unfortunately the cartels would simply move to activities unrelated to drugs if that happened.

The next best solution would be to address the causes of drug addiction. Unfortunately, this would cost government money and simply will not happen under the current political climate.

TLDR: Legalization of hard drugs is simply not going to happen.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I am kind of confused, someone please educate me.

Here is a comics that expalins TPP.
http://economixcomix.com/home/tpp/

I am a PHD candidate in economics and OMG, this is the worst economics ever.

Trade blocks are just a way for countries to actually get to reduce trade barriers multilaterally instead of just cutting down import tariffs unilaterally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan45 wrote:

My personal belief is that drug addicts should be provided with all the drugs they want. We could turn the prison space into something like hospice care. Give them three hots and a cot and free drugs. At least they wouldn't be robbing drug stores for their latest fix and government supplied free drugs would remove the profit motive from the cartels. However, I know enough to realize that this will never come about. Unfortunately the cartels would simply move to activities unrelated to drugs if that happened.

The criminalization of weak drugs like alcohol and marijuana means that firms producing those drugs will have to work in the informal sector and so violence tends to happen. Such as is happening in Mexico or happened in the US during the prohibition period for alcohol. Decriminalize drugs and the problem is solved. IMO people should be free to kill themselves with drugs if they want to do so like they have the right of suicide. Problem are hard drugs that can make individuals dangerous to the rest of society. Then I agree that they shouldn't be easily available.

{Merged serial posts. ~nobahn}
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@mangamuscle

You seem to have a problem with the fact that certain drugs are illegal. [snip] Hard drugs are simply not a form of benign entertainment

You have a hard time assimilating the there are no good drugs (legal) and bad drugs (illegal). I do not have the link at hand, but making any drug illegal will make users go for consumption of the hard variety (as seen in the liquor consumption during the alcohol prohibition) and making it legal will make users go for consumption of the lighter variety (as seen in all those light beers that are so popular nowadays). So I would not blink an eye if coca cola had again some trace amounts of cocaine or if Marlboro started to sell marijuana cigarettes, they would pay taxes and keep the hygiene in the final product.

Alan45 wrote:
The "war on drugs" was not an attempt by Richard Nixon to control political dissidents. It was maintained through multiple administrations because it was popular.

If you had read the link I originally provided you would know that is not true, when Nixon started the war on drugs it was not popular, the consensus was on decriminalization and rehab. later on (after his departure) people became aware of the problems of drug abuse. In 1970 Nixon put marijuana "temporarily" into schedule I to go after the hippies, there is no other reason since we was advised to remove it but "Nixon disregarded the compelling results of his own appointed commission".

Alan45 wrote:
Unfortunately the cartels would simply move to activities unrelated to drugs if that happened.

I hear this a lot, but the mafia gravitates toward money and there are no other activities as profitable as selling small packs of consumables to a captive audience, it is low lying fruit.

Quote:
Trying to make a similarity between drug laws and copyright laws simply doesn't work.

... is what you want people to believe, but both are intrusions of the state in what we as citizens do in private. There are real criminals out there for law enforcement to fight.

I am aware most of the post if oot, but I am not going to make it seem as if I am ok with the replies I got.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I would personally love to see some of these pirate streaming websites get shut down, but is that worth taking down innocent fan works?

I agree that pirate streaming and torrent websites should be turned down. Sadly I've to use thise methodes myself because im a European anime fan, which means I can not get a subscription on any of the legal streaming websites. IF it was possible for me to pay for Funimation, crunchyroll, aniplex channel, Hulu, the anime network I would have done it without hesitation. Because my motto is: You have to pay for what you love.

Like i said I do use this illegal methodes because I'm forced to by this bloody license rubbish. Some anime like Attack on titan for example gets released pretty quickly. But there are also stuff like Index/Railgun S1 that FINALY got a Europe/UK release. And to be frankly honest with you, I refuse to wait forever to be able to see the newest anime. Also importing new stuff from the USA is way to expensive as well. I can only import for free below the 22 euro, new anime cost around 50 dollar, which means if i import it i would pay 13 euro border fee, and 21% tax over 50 dollar ( the value in Euro, depending on the exchange rate at that moment).

So I believe I'm in my rights to use this because once it gets available here i straight buy it. Even though its against everything i stand for. I got between 200-300 titles on DVD/blu ray.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I am a PHD candidate in economics and OMG, this is the worst economics ever.

Trade blocks are just a way for countries to actually get to reduce trade barriers multilaterally instead of just cutting down import tariffs unilaterally.

Yes, it is also about tariffs, but tariffs are only a part of this agreement. It is also, for example, about investment. There is the disputable ISDS. Besides, this agreement wouldn’t need to be so long if it were just about tariffs.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
hehe652

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would personally love to see some of these pirate streaming websites get shut down
I'm pretty sure without those pirate streaming website, 90% of the people outside Japan/US wouldn't have know Anime and become an Anime fan. And conventions like AFA outside Japan would have been empty.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Correction:
I erroniously said China was involved with the TPP earlier. They are [not], which could be why they are being tw@s by land reclaiming reefs and atolls in the South China Sea, threatening free trade navigation through those waters. My Apologies for any offence this error has caused.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5