• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Will The Trans-Pacific Partnership Do To Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle

You need to check your facts. Of all the things wrong Richard Nixon did (and they were many) he didn't outlaw drugs. Stuff like cocaine, heroin, opiates and marijuana were illegal for decades before Nixon came into office. That happened sometime in the 20s or 30s. I knew people arrested for marijuana use in early 1964 at Penn State. Hippies were not a thing yet and there were few or no war protesters at Penn State at that point, . Johnson was president.

Politicians looking to suppress or stifle the opposition usually pass the laws to do so as necessary or simply ignore the law altogether.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
While the copyright issues concerning doujinshi and cosplay are definitely a serious problem, they are just a few of many dangerous powers that the Trans-Pacific Partnership has in store, in which some of them are even life-threatening. For instance, should it come to fruition, the TPP will allow pharmaceutical companies to delay low-cost drugs from entering the marketplace.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@mangamuscle

You need to check your facts.

Nixon passed the Controlled Substances Act and launched the USA into the war on drugs, 40+ years, billions of dollars wasted (we are talking 2 billions this year alone) and making the number of people in jail for drug related arrests the biggest on the first world. That is what I mean by outlawed, you do drugs you are an outlaw. ATM you pirate something and you are far from an outlaw of society, but the TPP aims to change the situation.

Quote:
Politicians looking to suppress or stifle the opposition usually pass the laws to do so as necessary or simply ignore the law altogether.

Not on a democracy.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I actually hope the illegal streaming sites are safe, somehow. Because, and this might sound stupid, but... Despite living in Japan, I can't watch anime here. My TV only gets, like, four channels, and none of them are the ones that show popular anime. Even showings of reruns don't come to the 'Tochigi local access channel'. If there's a legal way to watch online, I simply don't know how, and getting anime in Japan subtitled in English is not going to happen. I can't access American sites like Crunchyroll, because I'm not in their area. As far as I know right now, the only way for me to access subtitled anime is via the illegal sites.

But because I can (currently) access the illegal sites, I have spent literally thousands of dollars on anime merchandise. That's money they would not get if I couldn't actually watch the anime. That's money that would not go into the economy if I didn't have that access to the shows.

And I think that applies to a lot of people across all the TPP inclusive countries. Even people who do have legal access but choose to go the illegal route still often buy a lot of merchandise. So I wonder if the anime-related economy would take a blow should the illegal sites be affected, and if so, to what extent?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
I actually hope the illegal streaming sites are safe, somehow. Because, and this might sound stupid, but... Despite living in Japan, I can't watch anime here. My TV only gets, like, four channels, and none of them are the ones that show popular anime. Even showings of reruns don't come to the 'Tochigi local access channel'. If there's a legal way to watch online, I simply don't know how, and getting anime in Japan subtitled in English is not going to happen. I can't access American sites like Crunchyroll, because I'm not in their area. As far as I know right now, the only way for me to access subtitled anime is via the illegal sites.

But because I can (currently) access the illegal sites, I have spent literally thousands of dollars on anime merchandise. That's money they would not get if I couldn't actually watch the anime. That's money that would not go into the economy if I didn't have that access to the shows.

And I think that applies to a lot of people across all the TPP inclusive countries. Even people who do have legal access but choose to go the illegal route still often buy a lot of merchandise. So I wonder if the anime-related economy would take a blow should the illegal sites be affected, and if so, to what extent?

I'm surprised you haven't tried NND yet.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
Harima wrote:
Read the article in the above link to understand why this is a dangerous thing with severe consequences on everyone's lives in the concerned countries.

not to mentioned how much of a pain in the ass its gonna be for the otaku community if it gets passed. its no wonder otaku authors like akamastu opposed this trainwreck with a passion.

Quote:
They have absolutely zero desire to shut down Comiket, which has become a very lucrative promotional event for their products.

I wouldn't be so sure about that answerman. considering that who is in charge of that gov't , don't be surprised at all if years later they do go after comiket as a whole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Quote:
They have absolutely zero desire to shut down Comiket, which has become a very lucrative promotional event for their products.

I wouldn't be so sure about that answerman. considering that who is in charge of that gov't , don't be surprised at all if years later they do go after comiket as a whole.

In that quote from the article "they" refers to the Japanese publishing industry, not the government. So I think that Answerman is right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
"And what about doujinshi, which are technically illegal"

Actually that is not quite true, there is a significant number dojinshi that are original works. There are even dojinshi markets that are exclusively so.

What is problematic is how this will effect works using trademarked characters. However Japanese trademark law is strict with virtually no fair use provisions so those works are already in violation. It may mean fewer dojinshi using characters from U.S. works, no more Ironman YAOI for example (and yes that does exist).
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I'm surprised you haven't tried NND yet.

I don't know what that is. Confused
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:

If you want to access legitimate US streaming sites, you can just get a VPN. You can find a free one if you want.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
@mangamuscle

With the possible exception of a few recently invented, all of those substances were illegal prior to that act. If you will read your link, what that did was consolidate existing law. Also, as with any law it was passed by congress, Nixon didn't do this by executive decree.

When it was instituted, the "war on drugs" was popular nation wide. It ended up having unfortunate side effects, but most simple solutions to complex problems do. Don't forget, this is the country that tried to outlaw alcohol consumption. That didn't work either.

With the sole exception of marijuana, anti-drug laws remain popular. Don't expect to see opiates, heroin or cocaine legalized here in any foreseeable future. Basically drug addicts don't vote. People who do vote dislike illegal drugs for a variety of reasons, some valid and some not.

We are getting off topic here. Let's move on.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
The main ingredient causing the most conundrum and controversy with this Trans Pacific fruit cake is exports and imports tariffs and quotas. the rest is just fillings. also I believe China is also in these talks as well to which they are muddying the waters, literally with them land reclaiming South China Sea reefs and atolls building what looks like naval and air force bases and claiming they are national boundaries and subject to the 12 mile exclusion of navigation agreed by the UN Freedom Of Shipping Act whilst ignoring the fact that that agreement doesn't include "man-made, or artificial islands". TPP will mean nothing if China starts pirating the South China Sea like they own it just because it has the name "China " in it. Wink
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The main ingredient causing the most conundrum and controversy with this Trans Pacific fruit cake is exports and imports tariffs and quotas. the rest is just fillings. also I believe China is also in these talks as well to which they are muddying the waters, literally with them land reclaiming South China Sea reefs and atolls building what looks like naval and air force bases and claiming they are national boundaries and subject to the 12 mile exclusion of navigation agreed by the UN Freedom Of Shipping Act whilst ignoring the fact that that agreement doesn't include "man-made, or artificial islands". TPP will mean nothing if China starts pirating the South China Sea like they own it just because it has the name "China " in it. Wink

1) Most of the debate, both among the parties and among the citizens of those countries, about the treaty has been about the non tariff and trade barrier portions. Those portions are the least controversial ones except I guess for those who are anti free trade.

2) China is not party to the treaty or the talks. Their building of islands is concerning and the US has challenged their exclusion of navigation. They claim the South China Sea more than just because it has China in it (natural resources mainly). If anything it's the opposite, its called the South China Sea because China claims it, among others, and I guess proximity.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
If you want to access legitimate US streaming sites, you can just get a VPN. You can find a free one if you want.

I don't know what that is, either.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

I don't know what that is, either.

Virtual private network. Just plug vpn into google. you'll find something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5