• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Comet Lucifer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
Just how in the world was he able to easily hack into the entire city? This guy could give Aiden Pearce a run for his money.
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Someone remind me which Disney movie the dancing veggie scene was ripped off from, because for some reason I keep thinking Beauty and the Beast but I don't think that's right.

I feel like 100% the reason for the random "school's closed" message was to explain the reason for the thing on Sogo's head. There are about fifty more interesting ways to get the kids out of the house without making them, the school system, and their non-existent parental figures look like complete incompetent idiots. If the girl had been alone, would she just not have been informed that school was closed? Did it not occur to any adult figure that a weather event worse than any seen in the past 40 years might be a good reason to not go walking around the freaking town, and that school would probably be closed? Did it not occur to school to close? Did channel-changingly-awful hacker villain just hack the easily hackable centrally controlled city system to divert the school closing robocalls? The hell?

I'm struggling to find anything good about episode four. Three was bad as well, but at least had some beautifully drawn action scenes. This was hot garbage. I'm not invested in the plot or any kind of non-existent subplots, there haven't been any character arcs presented and none of the characters are likable or intriguing, and I don't see any major themes presenting themselves. This show is all flash and no substance, and now that the flash is wearing off, I can't see any real reason to continue.

It does look like next week will give us action, so I'm going to watch. I'll decide from there whether to continue. This season is so bad that I'm willing to put up with more crap that I might normally be, but there has to be something interesting or different to keep my attention span.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
While I appreciate the plot heaviness at the end, I can't help but think how much I'd prefer it if the majority of the episode wasn't spent on bottom of the barrel SoL antics. Also, Felia needs to shut up forever. God, she's annoying.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It feels like the wheels that drive the story are starting to turn

And they're already starting to fall off.

I can actually abide a stupid school system that waits until it starts to rain before calling off school. What I can't wrap my head around is that they went, knowing a typhoon is coming, without umbrellas or any sort of rain gear, and Do Mon let them. Do they think the rain is just going to let up if they "wait here for a bit"?

On top of that is the stupidity of leaving Felia alone in the cafe. This is a girl who wreaks destruction wherever she goes even when she's supervised (dancing veggies might be fun, but I hope they're ready to do some serious canning, since she pulled up the entire garden). If Do Mon had returned first, there's really no way for him to guess she'd been kidnapped, since destruction is her MO, and I don't think he's caught on to her relationship to the stoneworm thing.

And while I'm glad they apparently didn't slaughter the cow on the spot for the party, it seems they've just left it tied up ever since. Doesn't look like they've fed it, or even thought about getting some shelter for it.

@ chex mix: You might be thinking of the "Higitus Figitus" song when Merlin's packing up everything in The Sword in the Stone, but that's mostly books, furniture, and dishes, not veggies. But I agree, it's got one more episode to turn things around for me too. I'm not hopeful at this point.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On the comedic side of things, even I will grudgingly admit that the dancing vegetable scene is amusing.

That was the moment I realized I was dropping Comet Lucifer. It crossed the line from bits of the show being cute and delightful, into the show being obnoxiously wrapped up in how adorable it thinks it is. I suppose the committee being called "Project Felia" should have been a clue.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Doesn't look like they've fed it, or even thought about getting some shelter for it.

After the dancing vegetables incident, I got the idea that the cow was being left there as a set up for a flying cow bit once the typhoon hit and that still may the case, though we're getting a little distracted by actual dramatic developments at this point.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Who exactly is this show trying to appeal to? I spent most of today's episode trying to figure that out, because whoever today was directed at is definitely not the same audience that they were trying to hook with the flying vegetable cat-pigeon crap. Also, please stop getting so implied-rapey with the little girl, it's really uncomfortable.

The villains on this show are so cookie-cutter that I find it really difficult to believe they're real people and I can't figure out their motivations other than "WE'RE SUPER BAD, YUP YUP." Also, this was the worst episode yet in terms of ridiculously bad dialogue.

Someone please tell me it's okay to drop this, before I get myself into another Gunslinger Stratos situation. Shocked I keep telling myself "But at least this one is pretty!" as I shout at the TV how much I hate all these people.

Also, thanks, Gina... that's exactly what I was thinking of. Love that movie. In fact, rewatching it would be a far better use of my time than watching this pile of shit, wouldn't it? Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

chex mix wrote:
Someone please tell me it's okay to drop this, before I get myself into another Gunslinger Stratos situation.

Well, we're definitely of like minds on this one. When Gus said to make him climax, all I could think of was, "but think of the children!" since the last review had mentioned the target audience probably being youngsters. Laughing

So why is it now snowing in the middle of a typhoon? I know late season Pacific typhoons can cause it to snow in Chicago, but I don't think that's the situation here. For that matter, what happened to the typhoon? Now it's sunny. I kind of figured Felia was somehow the cause of the typhoon in the first place, but, c'mon. She was happy as a clam when it started forming. If her being upset made it start snowing, then being happy again should bring back the typhoon, right?

And now the cow's left out in the snow. Sad

Gunslinger Stratos really is the perfect corollary. I keep saying, "one more episode," then it's, "only 5 more to go, it can't get worse, right?" and I'm always wrong. It's ok to drop it. But I'll give it one more episode...
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
if it doesn't go anywhere next week, I'm dropping it. it's been long enough. It doesn't exactly have the potential like Classroom Crisis to be really good at the end either.
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Who's job was it to choose the music for Ep.5? It really didn't fit what was happening on screen at all in my opinion, dramatic music playing while nothing much of interest was actually happening. Threw the whole episode for me and I can't see it getting any better so I'm dropping it.
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 5

chex mix wrote:
Someone please tell me it's okay to drop this, before I get myself into another Gunslinger Stratos situation.

Well, we're definitely of like minds on this one. When Gus said to make him climax, all I could think of was, "but think of the children!" since the last review had mentioned the target audience probably being youngsters. Laughing

When Gus shouted to make him climax I shouted back "Just shut up, ugh!" followed shortly with "and isn't she like eight???" and then "oh, sorry for waking you up honey, I'll stop shouting at the TV so loudly again." Gus is so generic I don't even know what to feel about him other than he hangs out with the annoying speech tic guy and really violent possibly underage kid so is likely also muahaha-ish level bad? But whatever, he's a basic ass bitch and I can't care about him, he's welcome to go find someone to help him climax off-screen tho.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
So, Roman, hands down, is the best, and also only tolerable, character in this show.

Did he take his cow home, finally? I didn't notice.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure it's dead by now, since no one fed or watered it and it was left out in the snow.
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
TBH Roman just looks like the dude who tries to be cool but in actuality looks like an idiot.

First half of the ep Kaon is okay but the 2nd half is SOOOO CRINGY. I've seen that kind stereotypical personality SOOO many times now. WHY ARE PEOPLE SO DENSE!
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm sure it's dead by now, since no one fed or watered it and it was left out in the snow.

It is shown floating on a cloud in the ED animation; maybe it's in cow heaven now?

SpeckTech wrote:
TBH Roman just looks like the dude who tries to be cool but in actuality looks like an idiot.

Exactly, that's why he's tolerable. They're all idiots. He's just the only one who has any actual self-awareness about it. Also, he's a good sport. Seriously, they've stolen his cars and mechas and tied him up and left him in various places but he just keeps putting up with it and coming to save them again, even though he clearly knows he's never going to score. Roman FTW.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4