• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Does Japan Have Otaku For American Animation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Superjail actually has a huge cult following in Japan (and South Korea) despite never being released there. I've actually seen fansubs on Nico Nico Douga, and there was a doujinshi anthology sent to Titmouse.

Almost all Adult Swim shows don't have any sort of release there so there's fansubs of them. I've also seen Futurama fansubs.

And yes, I can confirm that South Park and Happy Tree Friends are huge in the doujinshi community. And yes, Japanese fans absolutely ADORED Good Times with Weapons and Princess Kenny.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I want to believe that, in some far corner of the internet, there's a few Japanese folks arguing over where to find good raws for Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and The Great Grape Ape Show.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I've heard that My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has gotten quite a cult following that a Japanese version of it was made. Sadly, it didn't fare well, but a Japanese café of MLP did appear resulting from its dedicated fanbase. Smile

Edit: Yes! 3000 posts!
jtron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Only tangentially related, but the Japanese dubs of Steven Universe and Gravity Falls are quite good.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
I want to believe that, in some far corner of the internet, there's a few Japanese folks arguing over where to find good raws for Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and The Great Grape Ape Show.

You do know of--what at least was, at one time--the Japanese fascination with Wacky Races?

(And no, I'm not just referring to Muttley clones showing up in "Ruin Explorers" and "Howl's Moving Castle".)
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Last I heard Japan has 52 new official dubbed episodes of my little pony friendship is magic coming to tv soon. Which makes sense since they aready dubbed equestria girls. Wink
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Last I heard Japan has 52 new official dubbed episodes of my little pony friendship is magic coming to tv soon. Which makes sense since they aready dubbed equestria girls. Wink

That is awesome news for the fans there! Smile

Surely now there aren't any changes made to the show...is there?
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
I had to laugh at the line about South Park doujinshi.... wtf??? O.o I mean I've seen Interview with the Vampire, Lord of the Rings & Harry Potter doujinshi but South Park!?

You should see the Happy Tree Friends fandom in Japan. It seems to be exclusively for gay gijinka of the characters who dont seem to have anything in common with the ultra violent cartoon its based on...but its actually pretty adorable.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Do you have a source for this? I didn't see anything of the sort on the Japanese official websites or the Japanese Wikipedia. Besides, 52 would be a weird number, since season 3 only had 13 episodes, so that would be like announcing all of seasons 3 and 4 plus half of season 5.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Surely now there aren't any changes made to the show...is there?
They changed the openings and the endings to anime style 90 second clips and also added 25-second long semi-live action segments that are apparently common in Japanese children's programming. Because of this, in order to fit into the standard Japanese half hour slot they had to cut about two minutes from the actual episode. Most of the time they would just cut out one or two brief scenes, but in at least one episode they cut a scene short literally mid-sentence. Dunno if the streaming versions on Niconico have those cuts or not.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
There is (and has been for decades now) a fansubbing community in Japan.
They tend to do things like sci-fi shows which haven't been officially brought over to Japan yet (e.g. stargate was heavily fansubbed because it came out in Japan officially 1-2 years after it aired in the US), and also western cartoons that are a bit off from the mainstream.

South park is basically speed-subbed. The latest tweek/craig episode was available with Japanese subtitles in <48 hours since it was aired in the US.

Unlike western fansubbing, Japanese fansubs are far less organized and much more underground. There's no credits or group names or anything, just random anon's doing the work and then letting their stuff get uploaded by others.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

Almost all Adult Swim shows don't have any sort of release there so there's fansubs of them. I've also seen Futurama fansubs.

Totally useless information #1:
Back in the day I produced a Japanese fansub of the first episode of 12 oz Mouse.
I'm pretty sure I never released it publicly however as I was never satisfied with my translation and despite working with some native speakers they could not really comprehend the style of dialog in the show.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Do you have a source for this? I didn't see anything of the sort on the Japanese official websites or the Japanese Wikipedia. Besides, 52 would be a weird number, since season 3 only had 13 episodes, so that would be like announcing all of seasons 3 and 4 plus half of season.
Go to Equestria Daily and search for Japan opens pony cafe in Tokyo it's in there they supposedly got it from Japanese MLP Twitter. Cool
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
I had to laugh at the line about South Park doujinshi.... wtf??? O.o I mean I've seen Interview with the Vampire, Lord of the Rings & Harry Potter doujinshi but South Park!?

If you haven't seen last week's South Park episode Tweak X Craig, it's worth watching the first half of the episode just for its definition of "yaoi" alone!
But, yeah, there's definitely South Park doujinshi.

If they're virtually no Japanese American cartoon geeks (at least equivalent to otaku in the West), why does Japan get a My Little Pony cafe, and America doesn't get any anime themed cafes? Or a MLP cafe, for that matter? We need more geeky cafes, is what I'm saying.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Go to Equestria Daily and search for Japan opens pony cafe in Tokyo it's in there they supposedly got it from Japanese MLP Twitter. Cool
Apparently a mistranslation. The only recent mentions of the number 52 in that account are these two tweets about the DVD box set containing all the episodes dubbed so far, i.e. the 52 episodes of the first two seasons.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
It's interesting to see what does get a following in Japan. South Park has had a big following over there for years, and in some ways the fandom is more passionate over there than it is here (I wonder if it helps that the political satire is very American and thus a lot less controversial to Japanese fans, so they can just enjoy the character interactions without the attendant political drama.)

And as mentioned, MLP has a pretty vocal Japanese fanbase, with lots of fanart, doujinshi, and even conventions (for all that, the show was never popular with its intended audience of young girls over there, whereas in the states it is very popular with little girls as well as grown fans.) There's also a quite a Japanese following for Phineas and Ferb.

But on the other hand, shows with a strong Japanese influence like Steven Universe and Star VS the Forces of Evil seem to have next to no fan hype in Japan. I would argue that the anime similarities might put Japanese fans off (since that's something they can easily find from domestic shows) but MLP takes a huge influence from magical girl anime, so who knows?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3