• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Did American Manga Releases Become Right-To-Left?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:
The only thing I don't understand is why they don't just go to a library

Too much trouble. The book store is in or near the mall, they can hang out when not reading. Most of them would have to find the library, assuming they know what one is. Also the library probably would not let them sit on the floor.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
You got a point there. Libraries aren't social hangouts, and they're too lazy to even walk 25 feet to a chair.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Too much trouble. The book store is in or near the mall, they can hang out when not reading. Most of them would have to find the library, assuming they know what one is. Also the library probably would not let them sit on the floor.

In addition to that, many libraries might not even have any manga available for manga readers to enjoy.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Here in Italy, it took much less to read manga in their original form. All started from Star Comics, which published Dragon Ball for the first time in 1995, in its original right-to-left format.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Yeah, I had a classmate in middle school who's Japanese and would read Japanese magazines. I noticed that the front cover was on the other side and asked her if that was a left-handed book, and she told me that it isn't and that traditional Japanese is read right-to-left.

Worth mentioning that that only applied to vertical text, which is read first top-to-bottom and then right-to-left. Horizontal text is read left-to-right as in English. Japanese Novels are all written using vertical text.
This lead to the bizarre situation with Newtype USA which used the same right-to-left format as Newtype Japan, however the original used vertical text. So, in the USA version you read left-to-right across the right page then left-to-right across the left page and so on... which made no sense at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, you're right. Maybe she did say top-to-bottom (but the columns would still be read right-to-left--maybe she meant that because I had asked about the reversed page order). I certainly remember it stood out to me because I really had no familiarity with Japanese books at that point but I had recently looked at the Klutz left-handed book, which also had an inverted page order, so I assumed she was reading a left-handed book.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
vertical text
Random, not quite related thing your comment brought to mind: I've read a few of the older unflopped releases and their use of vertical text is atrocious. It took me far too long on those speech bubbles in Please Teacher since I I kept trying to read the columns right-to-left instead of the left-to-right they used(and just figuring that out took too long, like a car that refuses to start). Hideous as it is, I'm glad about the bludgeoning of horizontal text into those bubbles now.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Horizontal text in vertical bubbles isn't an issue so long as the bubble is a nice round oval, and not super elongated. Sure you have to work a bit more to break up longer words, but typesetting really isn't difficult.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5