• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shomin Sample (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
this is far more amusing than I thought it would be. kinda glad I gave it a chance.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Wow, I think Reiko should calm down...
Seriously though, that escalated a bit hmm? Anyways, the amount of insecurity she showed this episode didn't surprise me that much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
In a way, I find it an interesting development that we get a pair of characters that are given a proper context to why they are jealous of each other even if it comes from an internalized scenario.
Aika is the more straightforward jealously in that she believes that Reiko is an overly spoiled rich girl that has been graced with popularity and she gets everything that she would want (which is not too far from the truth), there is no question that Reiko is jealous of the straightforward relationship Aika and Kimito are having hinting that Reiko is somewhat of a "lonely rich girl" though the student body often flocks around her it may be more of due to her "position" than a substance relationship (at least from her point of view).

To the point, this is festering jealously on both sides on characters that the audience has been presented as "pretty nice people", usually there is one side or the other painted slightly more ambiguous (or more often one is blatantly made to be "the bitch") so the audience would have implied character to root for, but in this case they simply don't like the others way of dealing with things.

I don't really expect the series to actually make something of it, but if it does that would be an intriguing twist for what so far has been a decently executed piece of comedy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

His current position is kind of exactly why he was needed there. Aika has trouble fitting in, and it looks like if she was left alone she might become isolated in games and such. Reiko has some serious boy issues, the first guy that comes around she gets desperately attached to that she can end up in violent scuffles. Karen maybe needs to learn that there are people she might not agree with at first but she still has to deal with them in a productive way. And Hakua's explains itself.

Meanwhile it generally looks Kimito is generally also getting a different point of view, he is making friends, it is not like he has to be alone. He is also getting some other things out of it, but generally it does not seem so bad. Everything is mostly working as comedy at the moment, but it is putting a bit more in there than some shows.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
episode four

A lot of this episode seemed like it was played as straight drama, complete with some very serious scoring. Which was really weird and I'm not quite sure whether it was a good idea or not. I'm not honestly sure if it was trying to go for comedic juxtaposition between how seriously it was taking itself and how inherently silly the situation was or if it played it straight because we were meant to take it that way.

All-in-all less laughs this episode. I'm curious what things will be like now that the gang is all together.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Lol, Yuru Yuri reference confirmed:

And also, there were a bunch of other LN/manga references in that room. I think someone like Kimito walking into that room during that moment ....and then got that reaction was pretty obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I think someone like Kimito walking into that room during that moment ....and then got that reaction was pretty obvious.

Actually I think this is kind of amazing. You, me, Reiko, Aika and Kimito and probably everyone else who reads this all instantly made the connection with what was going on and what went on in that specific scene within Yuru Yuri.

So how long does anyone want to say that it will be before Reiko and Aika finally admit that they like each other? I bet Episode 11.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Actually I think this is kind of amazing. You, me, Reiko, Aika and Kimito and probably everyone else who reads this all instantly made the connection with what was going on and what went on in that specific scene within Yuru Yuri.

It kind of made me think of the infamous scene of Chinatsu and Akari being seen, or the general fighting between Sakurako and Himawari. Felt a like a bit of fun along the lines of the light fun yuri series. Also the "did not leave an impression" with Akari.

And the Hakua scenes. Well he did not do the cliché freak out of waking up next to her, instead tell her to dress herself, and really it was mostly pleasant. The riddle bits were cute and was fun when paired with the supposed genius, it gave a nice little sister vibe. And despite it all she did consider the girls her friends. Also, Karen's freakouts
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote
I've never read/watched Yuru Yuri (for obvious reasons) so I was unaware a specific scene was being referenced. I figured Kimito thought they were getting into yuri in a general sense rather than directly mimicking something.

And yeah, it's nice to see Kimito reacts to Hakua as a normal person would a child rather than getting all flustered by her. He flips out when she strips but that's more in a common decency sense rather than a "stop, you're turning me on!" sense.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I've never read/watched Yuru Yuri (for obvious reasons) so I was unaware a specific scene was being referenced. I figured Kimito thought they were getting into yuri in a general sense rather than directly mimicking something.

What, you don't like a light comedy with an all female cast that occasionally does a little bit of Yuri jokes? I think some people get turned off from the idea of yuri characters, but it is a perfectly harmless series, in general I will say that it is not all that different from this.

There is just one particular scene like I said where two of the characters get seen with one lying on top of the other (there is more to it) by a character one "crazy" likes, the girl then apologises and briskly walks away, not too unlike Kimito. It was not necesery a reference to the particular scene but it is a similarity.

For reference the character Reiko liked is a chronic tsundere who is torn between seriously wanting to get close to another character, and having a lot of trouble expressing that she does. While the one Aika liked was the heroine who is perfectly nice, but the series likes to make a joke that has no presence, thus what was so funny about Reiko saying she left no impression. And the series includes two girls where one feels annoyed by the other's large breast size that she insults her and them, rather like here, and they are probably the closest to an actual pair in the show as a double tsundere pair.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
What, you don't like a light comedy with an all female cast that occasionally does a little bit of Yuri jokes?

Sure, I watch shows like that all the time. However I was under the impression that Yuru Yuri is a full fledged yuri series (what with it being in the title and running in a yuri magazine and all), which I'm not a fan of.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
However I was under the impression that Yuru Yuri is a full fledged yuri series (what with it being in the title and running in a yuri magazine and all), which I'm not a fan of.

I think it actually has less yuri in it than its reputation would have it. It is more of a cute-girls-doing-cute-things type of anime with an all girl cast you have a number of characters with girl crushes on others and plenty of pervy thoughts. Instead of fan service it focuses more on the cerebral side of things.

One exception is the scene I thought was referenced here in SS.

Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
When I say yuri I mean "girls being in love with other girls" independent of the physical/fanservice aspect of it.

At any rate, even if it was just yuri baiting I'd rather avoid getting involved with another show whose fandom will likely try to shame me away from it when I view the relationships as platonic rather than romantic.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Ouch even in other anime, Akari leaves no impressions. It looks like both girls drank Dr. Pepper. I used to hate it at first, I thought it tasted like medicine. But now it is my favorite soft drink.

So how do censorship work in the anime industry? Is it okay to show other anime but not mention their names?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
They'd either put a mosaic over it and bleep the name, or they'd make it a bland name product (like WcDonald's). The fact that they showed it whole sale means they were given permission to use it (maybe the publishers are owned by the same people).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5