• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Schoolgirls v. Pirates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honeyrider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote
Aw, I as a high school girl myself I actually liked Girl's High. Which I found strage myself, as I like to declare any fanservice coated series as vapid and inane. But, I sat through the first episode of this, and I just couldn't help but watch more. I think it is because those girls are truly realistic. Even in design sense. They're not these overly buxom, balloom breasted girls. Aside from little-miss-loli (forget her name. she is cute though.) They have a figure average of a highschool girl. (even in the ending animation, their uniform blazer hides whatever figure they have, and they still look attractive nonetheless)

The conversations are rather realistic, as well. All High School Girls talk about sex. They talk aobut thier periods, they talk about boys in a sexual manner and ina romantic one. Girl's in High School do get mocked on occascion for being virgins, getting laid is important. I think that this series takes full note of this is what really makes it charming. I think Girls can watch this just because they can relate so well.

Thier friendhship though, I think is the real winner though. These girls are very fun, and a little silly and their friendship really shines in every episode. It's not often you find girls so close, and it's really nice just to watch them interact.

While some of the jokes do fall flat and some of the fanservice is uneeded, Girl's High is a fun watch for those who are girls, and even more so for those who like girls Wink
TheBigN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
So basically what you're saying is that that much "fanservice" happens in real life then? I know girls can be as vulgar as boys, I work with women that sometimes make my ears bleed and I'm an old salty dog. But I went to school when the mini skirt was new and I don't remember that much panty shots ever happening. Indeed whenever a pencil was dropped on the floor in the front of class one heard the resounding slap of legs closing like clams in daylight. Sometimes you'd catch one daydreaming.

I didn't mean that. Razz
I meant that we all have silly friends who do silly things and say silly stuff, but when push comes to shove, they're there for you, and you're there for them. The fanservice in Girls' High is pretty excessive, but I wasn't paying attention to that when I was talking about silly stuff. The main groups does a lot of wacky hijinks during the series, and that was what I was talking about. :3
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
So basically what you're saying is that that much "fanservice" happens in real life then? I know girls can be as vulgar as boys, I work with women that sometimes make my ears bleed and I'm an old salty dog. But I went to school when the mini skirt was new and I don't remember that much panty shots ever happening.

Dang, dude. When's the last time you were on a college campus, or a high school? There's flesh everywhere you turn. Maybe I just went to some pretty hoe-y schools, but the girls on my campuses bared their breasts and panties like nobody's business.
Dorian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I loved Igudesman and Joo. Reminds me of Victor Borge on steroids
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
So basically what you're saying is that that much "fanservice" happens in real life then? I know girls can be as vulgar as boys, I work with women that sometimes make my ears bleed and I'm an old salty dog. But I went to school when the mini skirt was new and I don't remember that much panty shots ever happening.

Dang, dude. When's the last time you were on a college campus, or a high school? There's flesh everywhere you turn. Maybe I just went to some pretty hoe-y schools, but the girls on my campuses bared their breasts and panties like nobody's business.

Pretty much the same at the college I went to. There weren't running around topless but they might as well have been. Tons on upper thigh length skirts with girls who bend at the waist and not squat down. Shirt 2 sizes too tight with darker colored bras under neath, if a bra at all. Not to mention shirts so low cut they might as well be nothing more then nipple covers. Obviously not every girl dressed like this. But enough did that during late spring and early fall you could easily get 2-3 flashes of skin just walking to class. That's if you didn't even try to look for them. My high school wasn't that bad but it was a redneck town/school so it was mostly jeans and tank tops and t-shirt. Though the tanks did get tighter by my senior year.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Pretty much the same at the college I went to. There weren't running around topless but they might as well have been. Tons on upper thigh length skirts with girls who bend at the waist and not squat down. Shirt 2 sizes too tight with darker colored bras under neath, if a bra at all. Not to mention shirts so low cut they might as well be nothing more then nipple covers. Obviously not every girl dressed like this. But enough did that during late spring and early fall you could easily get 2-3 flashes of skin just walking to class. That's if you didn't even try to look for them. My high school wasn't that bad but it was a redneck town/school so it was mostly jeans and tank tops and t-shirt. Though the tanks did get tighter by my senior year.
I started what you would call a high school in 1967. We called it "secondary modern", or "grammar", another name for it was "comprehensive". It depended on how brainy, or posh you were. If the kind of school you both are discribing existed back then it would have been closed. The mini skirts were eventually banned at my school, but by the time I had graduated they were allowed again. We all had to wear the school uniform and each gender had it's own. It's where the Japanese got the concept for their school system back in the 19th. Century.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Watching/reading this series and reading the review on Shelf Life, and subsequent posts here, has brought back such wonderful memories from high school. Rolling Eyes I was Yamato and I had my Suzuka. granted she actually led me on in private then pulled the Suzuka in public. And I was just the dumb guy with no self esteem who lavished the attention. She had been helping me deal with a big loss in my life the second half of senior year and I followed her like the dog I was treated like. She's scratch my head in private and say good boy and then slap my noise with the newspaper in public. She was a manipulative bitch. But unfortunately Cloe some of us guys are just dumb and fall for it. Embarassed

Yikes, that sounds like an awful relationship. Luckily, I never experienced a manipulative relationship like that (on the giving or receiving end), but Suzuka does remind me of the most selfish, angsty girls I knew in high school. Geh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Yeah that sounds like my high school. it seems now, a lot of schools (high schools) are trying to get rid of this though with strict dress codes- but for the most part you're spot on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I got around to watching Suzuka volume 2 a few days ago and agree with most of you in regards to personality. Although I like the second volume better than the first he show still feels like Maison Ikkoku for a younger audience. The audio commentary on the DVD is fun, and the fact that the VAs didn't meet each other in person until the recording session really emphasizes the difference in the recording processes in the two countries. I often think of the camaraderie you see on the Escaflowne and Basilisk extras as opposed to the US VAs who are strangers. It's nice that the creditless OP/ED have the music in both languages.

I just rewatched the first Black Lagoon DVD, this time in English. I will agree with those who like the dub. I'm hooked on this series and am showing it (along with Ergo Proxy) to my roommates.

I'm planning on watching Tsubasa 2 tonight, but have gotten really backlogged on new DVD releases.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
From all the comments, it seems Girl's High trends (if not sticks) close enough to the manga that it should be worth getting ... once they thinpak or dub it and stick it on sale.

And then there is Suzuka .... really getting worried there might be a second strike (first being Evil's Return *shudder*) on the blind purchase list, but at least this week brings most if not all of the rest of the DVDs to half-off. So we shall see once its lot is drawn in the backlog lottery.

As for the shelves, they should be kept that neat (not counting the pile of stuff-to-be-shelved.) Although, as one other poster mentions, there is so much open space left that the dusting required must be brutal.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote
[quote="Mohawk52"I started what you would call a high school in 1967. We called it "secondary modern", or "grammar", another name for it was "comprehensive". It depended on how brainy, or posh you were. If the kind of school you both are discribing existed back then it would have been closed. The mini skirts were eventually banned at my school, but by the time I had graduated they were allowed again. We all had to wear the school uniform and each gender had it's own. It's where the Japanese got the concept for their school system back in the 19th. Century.[/quote]

Well times have sure changed since you were in school. I'm not saying that's even a good thing either. Personally the more the ladies dress like the more they show they're just silly girls and not women. Certainly doesn't seem many have any dignity at least. There's a difference between sexy and sultry and skanky. Most of the college girls I mentioned need to take a "How to Not Dress Skanky 101" course. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3