• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Adds 2011 Hunter x Hunter Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:

>Funimation actors in a Viz dub

Try again.

Kyle Hebert, Adult Gohan in DBZ (FUNimation) and Kiba Inuzuka in Naruto (Viz Medua)
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:

Try again.

Kyle Hebert, Adult Gohan in DBZ (FUNimation) and Kiba Inuzuka in Naruto (Viz Medua)

Panzer Vor isn't talking about actors who moved to LA. Does anyone really expect Sonny Strait or Eric Vale to be in a Viz dub? Unless they move to LA its very unlikely. These fan casting choices make no sense sometimes Razz
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
While Sonny Strait and Eric Vale would have been good choices for Leorio if Funimation got it, I wouldn't hold my breath. I can see either Quinton Flynn or Wally Wingert doing his voice though.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I'm just glad to see Viz licensing stuff again. It seems like after Sailor Moon, they kind of stopped picking up any other new shows and it seemed like they were only doing Naruto and Sailor Moon for awhile there and I was worried about them for a bit.

Uh, One Punch Man?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
While I don't watch/read this series, that'd be interesting if that Maile Flanagan to play the lead. I say this because Junko Takeuchi also played Gon in the other versions.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Keep Canada away from this show. Canadian dubs are hit and miss. Blue Water dubs on the other hand are comparable to fouls. All of them are beyond terrible. Zeta Gundam's dub has to be a joke. I mean, really, what kind of dub was that? I mean, Vancouver were never that good, but they were better. I don't buy the union fiasco at the time, either. They dubbed the SEED OVAs and SEED Destiny during that time. The English dubbed aired in the Philippines way back in the beginning of 2006.

The Zeta dub sounds like a joke. I kinda don't blame dub haters for existing. If there ever was a legit reason to hate on dubs, then Zeta Gundam is your punching bag. [expletive] horrible dub. Worse than DBZ, worse than Yu-Gi-Oh. Damn you Bandai. Damn you.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While I don't watch/read this series, that'd be interesting if that Maile Flanagan to play the lead. I say this because Junko Takeuchi also played Gon in the other versions.

He voice doesn't really fit Gon though.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

If anything, Vic Mignogna (Obito) would be more likely since Gon was voiced by Megumi Han in this version.

Disclaimer: I don't actually think Vic Mignogna should voice Gon. Gon is the kind of character that justifies being played by either a woman. I was just pointing out the connection that both Naruto and Obito's voice actors had played Gon in the past.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Now that I’ve had a night to allow my gleeful fanboy joy to settle, I’ll jot down a few thoughts on Viz acquiring Hunter x Hunter.

First of all, I have to give Viz Media major credit for being the company that finally stepped forward and picked the series up. At times, I legitimately feared Hunter x Hunter would forever languish on Crunchyroll, without a dub or disc release. Call me crazy, but I actually thought at one point that Discotek or Sentai were more likely to pick up the show than Viz. After all, the first Hunter x Hunter anime burned it pretty badly. But it would have been shortsighted of Viz to let this opportunity pass based on that prior experience, for a number of reasons.

Looking back, it’s hard to imagine how Viz could have made the 1999 Hunter x Hunter anime a success. The publisher released a decade-old show in the aftermath of the Great Recession, gave it a questionable Blue Water dub full of unconvincing performances and then dumped it on DVD with little ceremony. As an added bonus, the show itself wasn’t even that good. While I fully admit its animation occasionally outperforms the 2011 series during a selection of key scenes, the 1999 anime simply didn’t capture the best aspects of its source material. Director Kazuhiro Furuhashi painted the series with a layer of his signature gloomy, ostentatiously artsy style, and it dragged the show down. Add to that unappealing character designs, drab colors, wonky filler during the first arc, inconsistent censorship and a rather poor transfer of the cel elements, and it’s easy to see why Viz didn’t have an instant hit on its hands.

Though not a perfect show by any means, the 2011 anime version of Hunter x Hunter is different. Sure, it made a fair share of mistakes when animating Togashi’s manga, abridging occasional plot points and altering Gon’s meeting with a key character in a way that baffles me to this day. For the most part, however, the show is an example of exceptional workmanship from Madhouse. The character art is colorful, charming and full of energy. The animation is consistent and peaks regularly. And most important of all, Togashi’s style comes through wholly intact. It also already has a sizable fanbase in the West, thanks to its high ratings on Crunchyroll. Viz has a show with all the makings of a hit on its hands. With the Naruto anime heading towards an inevitable conclusion and the Bleach anime run finished on DVD, Hunter x Hunter could be Viz’s next hot successful Shonen property. All it has to do is handle the release and marketing competently.

I do have my share of concerns. While I doubt Viz could mess up the show’s visuals, like what happened with Sailor Moon, I’m anxious about what decisions the company will make with the dub. Its quality will largely depend on how Viz casts Gon and Killua. The endearing friendship these two share is essentially the heart of the story. Their English voices could make or break the dub singlehandedly. Unfortunately, casting voices for young boys is not an easy task. Megumi Han and Mariya Ise absolutely nailed their personalities in the original Japanese version. They’re tough acts to follow, no doubt about it. But I’ll try to be optimistic. As long as they steer clear of casting adult men to voice Gon and Killua (Nicolas Roye as Shingo in the new Sailor Moon dub was a disastrous miscast) they should turn out alright.

Given its length and the need to justify dubbing costs, we can probably expect Hunter x Hunter to air on Toonami. That should give this underrated property much-needed exposure in the States.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Now that I’ve had a night to allow my gleeful fanboy joy to settle, I’ll jot down a few thoughts on Viz acquiring Hunter x Hunter.

First of all, I have to give Viz Media major credit for being the company that finally stepped forward and picked the series up. At times, I legitimately feared Hunter x Hunter would forever languish on Crunchyroll, without a dub or disc release. Call me crazy, but I actually thought at one point that Discotek or Sentai were more likely to pick up the show than Viz. After all, the first Hunter x Hunter anime burned it pretty badly. But it would have been shortsighted of Viz to let this opportunity pass based on that prior experience, for a number of reasons.

Looking back, it’s hard to imagine how Viz could have made the 1999 Hunter x Hunter anime a success. The publisher released a decade-old show in the aftermath of the Great Recession, gave it a questionable Blue Water dub full of unconvincing performances and then dumped it on DVD with little ceremony. As an added bonus, the show itself wasn’t even that good. While I fully admit its animation occasionally outperforms the 2011 series during a selection of key scenes, the 1999 anime simply didn’t capture the best aspects of its source material. Director Kazuhiro Furuhashi painted the series with a layer of his signature gloomy, ostentatiously artsy style, and it dragged the show down. Add to that unappealing character designs, drab colors, wonky filler during the first arc, inconsistent censorship and a rather poor transfer of the cel elements, and it’s easy to see why Viz didn’t have an instant hit on its hands.

Though not a perfect show by any means, the 2011 anime version of Hunter x Hunter is different. Sure, it made a fair share of mistakes when animating Togashi’s manga, abridging occasional plot points and altering Gon’s meeting with a key character in a way that baffles me to this day. For the most part, however, the show is an example of exceptional workmanship from Madhouse. The character art is colorful, charming and full of energy. The animation is consistent and peaks regularly. And most important of all, Togashi’s style comes through wholly intact. It also already has a sizable fanbase in the West, thanks to its high ratings on Crunchyroll. Viz has a show with all the makings of a hit on its hands. With the Naruto anime heading towards an inevitable conclusion and the Bleach anime run finished on DVD, Hunter x Hunter could be Viz’s next hot successful Shonen property. All it has to do is handle the release and marketing competently.

I do have my share of concerns. While I doubt Viz could mess up the show’s visuals, like what happened with Sailor Moon, I’m anxious about what decisions the company will make with the dub. Its quality will largely depend on how Viz casts Gon and Killua. The endearing friendship these two share is essentially the heart of the story. Their English voices could make or break the dub singlehandedly. Unfortunately, casting voices for young boys is not an easy task. Megumi Han and Mariya Ise absolutely nailed their personalities in the original Japanese version. They’re tough acts to follow, no doubt about it. But I’ll try to be optimistic. As long as they steer clear of casting adult men to voice Gon and Killua (Nicolas Roye as Shingo in the new Sailor Moon dub was a disastrous miscast) they should turn out alright.

Given its length and the need to justify dubbing costs, we can probably expect Hunter x Hunter to air on Toonami. That should give this underrated property much-needed exposure in the States.

The chances of Gon and Killua being played by men are slim. While I think a male VA might work for Killua, Gon is a bit harder to imagine with a man's voice. I think Erica Mendez (Aladdin) could do Gon and Mona Marshall (Ken Amada) as Killua.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Looking back, it’s hard to imagine how Viz could have made the 1999 Hunter x Hunter anime a success. The publisher released a decade-old show in the aftermath of the Great Recession, gave it a questionable Blue Water dub full of unconvincing performances and then dumped it on DVD with little ceremony.

Also, another thing that hurt the 99 releases was that Viz weren't able to get the second Opening & second & third Endings due to music rights issues and they had replaced them with the first OP & ED for all of the episodes (including the finale which didn't even have an OP & ED). Now this may be considered a minor thing depending on who you ask but keep in mind that they were also releasing NANA & Monster at around the same time which had similar issues (including a rearranged music score for the latter which was thanks to them getting a different set of masters which were used in other countries) and people had already lost faith in Viz at that point (as also seen with Monster getting cancelled), especially because they didn't warn anyone about these issues before these shows were released which was bad because companies have seen how fans reacted to that kind of thing in the past (see Bandai's release of Zeta Gundam, BVUSA's re-release of Gunbuster & FUNi's release of Kodocha for examples) so it wouldn't surprise me if that's another reason why the sets didn't sell.

As for the dub, I did blind buy the sets years ago and as one of the few who likes Blue Water, I have to agree that they did drop the ball here because it was awful.

Quote:
As an added bonus, the show itself wasn’t even that good. While I fully admit its animation occasionally outperforms the 2011 series during a selection of key scenes, the 1999 anime simply didn’t capture the best aspects of its source material. Director Kazuhiro Furuhashi painted the series with a layer of his signature gloomy, ostentatiously artsy style, and it dragged the show down. Add to that unappealing character designs, drab colors, wonky filler during the first arc, inconsistent censorship and a rather poor transfer of the cel elements, and it’s easy to see why Viz didn’t have an instant hit on its hands.

Ah Furuhashi, another thing to note is I believe this was after he finished Rurouni Kenshin which had mixed results at the time (2 decent-bad filler arcs which led to the show's cancellation, & 1 good OVA with the trash known as Reflection being made sometime after Hunter x Hunter was finished).

As for the Hunter x Hunter OVAs, I have not watched them (since Viz never picked them up) but I've heard that those were handled by different people and that the Greed Island episodes in particular were worse than the TV series.

Quote:
As long as they steer clear of casting adult men to voice Gon and Killua (Nicolas Roye as Shingo in the new Sailor Moon dub was a disastrous miscast) they should turn out alright.

As much as I like the Sailor Moon redub, I do agree there though I can let it slide because Shingo's a bit of a minor character, even more so in later seasons & especially in Crystal.

I agree about the casting though, especially since we don't want anyone worse than the Blue Water VAs.

Quote:

Though I'll still buy 2011 either way, a Toonami run would be nice though there's the possibility of the dub premiering on Hulu which would kill it's chances on the block.
levonr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

As for the Hunter x Hunter OVAs, I have not watched them (since Viz never picked them up) but I've heard that those were handled by different people and that the Greed Island episodes in particular were worse than the TV series.

I can't imagine watching the 1999 TV series without watching the first OVA which finishes the arc. Japanese viewers were pissed when the show ended so that is why they made the OVA. The TV series ends on such a cliffhanger right near the end of the York New arc. The first OVA resumes right where the TV series left off and its very consistent with the TV, they even list them as episodes(63-70 for OVA 1).
Viz not at least releasing the first OVA is a big shame.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
The announcement of a dub is promising - it means Viz can at least try to get the show on Toonami.

I would love to see it on Toonami. It's a good fit. Also gets dark later on, which makes it an even better fit. Gon and Killua being kids might be a turn-off for some though.

Animeking1108 wrote:
If Viz is dubbing it, then they better cast Steve Blum as Hisoka (or Troy Baker).

Troy Baker would cost WAY too much. I doubt he'll be in much anime from now on. Some of Baker's roles continue to exist in anime now though, and Viz will be in a bind should any of those five Pain bodies reappear in Naruto.

Shadow9x20 wrote:
I'm so happy about this since I live the HxH series but this makes me wonder whether or not this will inspire Togashi to finally start writing more chapters

Of course not. This time, he is actually in need of medical help and may not be in much condition to draw anymore, and he's married to a manga author who's probably bringing in enough money that he can retire.

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Yeah I noticed that I think Inuyasha was the most recent Ocean production in a while, wonder if they will get any work again at some point.

Ocean's voice actors are getting plenty of work performing for domestically-produced animation.

Animeking1108 wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:

>Cathy Weseluck in the same cast as Crispin Freeman, Kirk Thornton, and Doug Erholtz

Try again.

Well, getting somebody from Funimation wouldn't be impossible. After all, Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, and Travis Willingham used be primarily Funimation, and Funimation was able to get most of the LA born cast members back for the "BlazBlue" anime.

And regarding Cathy Weseluck, FUNimation was able to bring in Scott McNeil to voice Shiki in One Piece, and Capcom brought in Paul Dobson to voice Dr. Doom in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (if I recall correctly), so it's not beyond possibility. But it is rare for them to just suddenly have one person be from Vancouver while the rest are United States.

NJ_ wrote:
Also, another thing that hurt the 99 releases was that Viz weren't able to get the second Opening & second & third Endings due to music rights issues and they had replaced them with the first OP & ED for all of the episodes (including the finale which didn't even have an OP & ED). Now this may be considered a minor thing depending on who you ask but keep in mind that they were also releasing NANA & Monster at around the same time which had similar issues (including a rearranged music score for the latter which was thanks to them getting a different set of masters which were used in other countries) and people had already lost faith in Viz at that point (as also seen with Monster getting cancelled), especially because they didn't warn anyone about these issues before these shows were released which was bad because companies have seen how fans reacted to that kind of thing in the past (see Bandai's release of Zeta Gundam, BVUSA's re-release of Gunbuster & FUNi's release of Kodocha for examples) so it wouldn't surprise me if that's another reason why the sets didn't sell.

If Viz has problems getting music rights, 2011 Hunter x Hunter should be a much lower hurdle, as the opening theme remains the same from beginning to end. It just gets updated and completely rebuilt from the ground up with new characters and new arcs. I forget if the credits theme is like that too, however.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Some of Baker's roles continue to exist in anime now though, and Viz will be in a bind should any of those five Pain bodies reappear in Naruto.

Matt Mercer has replaced Troy in all his ongoing anime roles for a long while now. They have a very similar voice so his absence is barely noticeable.
Sporkaganza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

I can't imagine watching the 1999 TV series without watching the first OVA which finishes the arc. Japanese viewers were pissed when the show ended so that is why they made the OVA. The TV series ends on such a cliffhanger right near the end of the York New arc. The first OVA resumes right where the TV series left off and its very consistent with the TV, they even list them as episodes(63-70 for OVA 1).
Viz not at least releasing the first OVA is a big shame.

See, the thing is: The 2011 anime already covers that stuff and it's by far the version that fans care more about - practically the entire Western HxH fanbase was created by it. I'd almost say that Viz would be better off relinquishing the license for HxH 1999.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6