• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto, Vol. 72

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Naruto should have ended with Sasuke and Naruto finally settling down and Sakura being a strong independent person who was above all that drama.

Just sayin'

Last edited by Gasero on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Part 1 of Naruto was really good, Part 2 had it's ups and downs but was mostly enjoyable, but these last 100 chapters of Naruto, starting with the Obito reveal, were such garbage. Asspull after asspull, Obito being such a terrible character (and wholly unnecessary), a complete betrayal of the themes and morals of the series, and above all, Sasuke gets off the hook with nothing more than a half-assed apology.

All the shipping in the last chapter was weird too, though not necessarily upsetting.

As a self-proclaimed Naruto fanboy throughout my late childhood and early teenage years, this ending was offensive. Mad
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Unfortunately this series does take the concepts of "there's no black and white/good and evil, only greys" to it's breaking point. It does seem to consistently espouse "if you do something bad, it's not 100%" or fault. It's because of the "cycle of hatred", or a "tragic background" or "you're manipulated by someone". Really just answering for your actions and owning your mistakes, and paying for your crimes seems to be a rarity.

I mean...so much seems to be blamed on behind-the-scenes string and passing on of blame that it all culminates on everything being the work of a Kaguya, a being who's concept of morality seems completely alien, or at least not really explored at all.

What's funny is that the series completely misses the point of "gray" moralities and just comes off as letting murderers and psychos gets off scot-free. There is nothing complex about the morality in Naruto, especially when Kaguya is around to give nearly every villain in the series an excuse because "THE DEVIL MADE THEM DO IT!"

If you want complex morality in a series go read Blade of the Immortal, Berserk, and Rurouni Kenshin which deal with the contradictions, complexities, and even hypocrisy of so-called "codes" and how soldiers are thought of as heroes one second and then cast aside when they're no longer useful. Giving wishy-washy sob stories is not making someone complex, it's just insulting.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Funny you should mention Rurouni Kenshin. I seem to recall in his between-chapter notes, the author said that after writing the Kyoto arc he was just tired of writing so many villains who had either engaging personalities or sympathetic motivations and backgrounds...

...so in the final story-arc he intentionally set out to make the villains as irredeemable as possible. Even if Enishi was doing it all to avenge his sister, his actions are treated by everyone as monstrous, petty and beyond redemption.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Funny you should mention Rurouni Kenshin. I seem to recall in his between-chapter notes, the author said that after writing the Kyoto arc he was just tired of writing so many villains who had either engaging personalities or sympathetic motivations and backgrounds...

...so in the final story-arc he intentionally set out to make the villains as irredeemable as possible. Even if Enishi was doing it all to avenge his sister, his actions are treated by everyone as monstrous, petty and beyond redemption.

And that's the funny thing; Enishi WAS completely monstrous and petty, but it didn't make him any less interesting or compelling as a villain. Furthermore, he was punished in the series for his actions by essentially being broken as a man.

There are ways to punish people without killing them and it's clear Kishimoto didn't understand that. Considering how many war crimes Sasuke committed (of his OWN FREE WILL), him getting a happy ending is a narrative cop-out and Kakashi giving meaningless lip service does not change that as we see no real consequences for him. And that's the main problem with Naruto and its characters: NONE of them take responsibility for their actions. And when you take that away, they cease to be proper characters.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
The ending of this manga gave me a headache to read. What the hell happened? Ino and freaking SAI of all people? How, why, what, who, when, where? Most pairing made no sense given how little those pairs actually communicated. Even Naruto and Hinata makes little to no sense which to me just feels like Kishimoto only did it because that's what the fans wanted. So little communication between the 2, and having Naruto not knowing how she feels about him the entire series and she never tells him anything about her feelings. Honestly, it would have made more sense if Naruto and Sasuke ended up together.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Overall, this is a satisfying ending. I will agree that Sakura's decision to stick with Sasuke left a bad taste in my mouth. I've never thought she should end up with Naruto, but like the reviewer said, after everything Sasuke has done to the village and the fact that he never showed interest in her, I would think she would have moved on.

yea. but knowing kishi it would have been one of those two. and believe me people would have been screaming harry potter ending if he had her with naruto. personally that pair up fits just fine. especially when it came to who naruto eventually end up with,though that development did left something to be desired,at least the last movie left some gaps out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Greed1914"]Overall, this is a satisfying ending. I will agree that Sakura's decision to stick with Sasuke left a bad taste in my mouth. I've never thought she should end up with Naruto, but like the reviewer said, after everything Sasuke has done to the village and the fact that he never showed interest in her, I would think she would have moved on.[/quote

True sakura should've moved on but she's stubborn as hell. I will also look at this way spoiler[we got sarada uchiha] by having sasuke and sakura hooking up.

I've gotta say Sakura's daughter is far more interesting female protagonist than hinata or sakura where through the entire course of the main series. However this is just my opinion after reading the extra chapters kishi made for the new Naturo movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
I lost interest in Naruto when it came over to the states (Before that I was really into it; but then everyone else was and the hype just ruined it for me),

This logic I don't get.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
(Even Kakashi mentioned that normally banished him from the village for all the stuff he did which begs the question: WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU BANISH HIM?!)

Presumably because such a practice would be impractical on someone who doesn't stay in the village that often.

Animelover12313 wrote:
Honestly, it would have made more sense if Naruto and Sasuke ended up together.

Only if you're in the bandwagon that stubbornly or comically thinks Naruto has Yaoi elements which thankfully most of us aren't.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Considering how many war crimes Sasuke committed

I don't think attacking Sakura,Naruto,Killer B,The Kages and Danzo at the summit would constitute as war crimes nor would issuing threats.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to mention Kishimoto's tribute to Oda and vice-versa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I think what would make for more flame/troll posts if they showed Naruto's kids but it was unclear who the mother was.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Part 1 of Naruto was really good, Part 2 had it's ups and downs but was mostly enjoyable, but these last 100 chapters of Naruto, starting with the Obito reveal, were such garbage. Asspull after asspull, Obito being such a terrible character (and wholly unnecessary), a complete betrayal of the themes and morals of the series, and above all, Sasuke gets off the hook with nothing more than a half-assed apology.

All the shipping in the last chapter was weird too, though not necessarily upsetting.

As a self-proclaimed Naruto fanboy throughout my late childhood and early teenage years, this ending was offensive. Mad

A lot of the comments in this forum are so on point, but this one is pretty much exactly how I feel.

Weirdly enough, I actually think the spoiler[Tobi is Obito] reveal chapter is one of the best chapters in the entire series... but then, MAN was everything complete garbage.

From Sasuke's realization that spoiler[destroying Konoha would ruin everything Itachi worked came from talking to the DEAD HOKAGES instead of freaking NARUTO, to Sasuke deciding that he would be Hokage, to Obito suddenly being a good guy after Naruto's "talk no jutsu" even though he's spent 16 years working toward his goal, to the most insulting final villain reveal I've ever seen in a manga, anime, or any piece of fiction in general], those last 100 chapters SUCKED.

The icing on the cake is just how easy Sasuke gets off. I can accept that it's in Naruto's character to easily forgive him, but for Sakura to STILL be in love with him and to so easily forgive even after he spoiler[tried to kill her countless times] is... ugh.

This post is already long enough as it is, but the last part of Naruto was just so horrible, I could go into even greater detail in why it sucked (Kaguya's reveal is a 10 page essay on its own). That's how bad it is.[/quote]
pikabot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
It's true that this fight was better than the Kaguya fight, but that's definitely damning with faint praise. It was still a really boring fight outside of the approximately two pages where they're just punching each other in the face, and the emotional beats either missed the mark completely or were laughably hokey.

Quote:
Nothing about Sakura was weak in this vppme. It takes a strong person to forgive after all the pain you've been put through.

Nonsense. Forgiveness can be a sign of strength, but in this case it was just a sign of Sakura being a complete doormat. You can forgive while still holding the person accountable for their actions, but that's not what happened here. Sakura just jettisoned the memory of the past three years and tossed accountability out of the window.

More to the point, Kishimoto wants to sell us on Team Seven being a big important thing, but then completely excludes her from the final confrontation? Garbage. Why does she even exist as a character? What function does she serve in the story? She hasn't done anything of consequence or meaning since Sasori more than ten years ago. All Kishimoto seems to care about with her is having her be present so Sasuke can take a victory lap around her vagina.

Quote:
Especially Sasuke promise to return by one special simple gesture share between his beloved brother Itachi, the fingertap to the forehead.

You mean the gesture that was an act of pure condescension both in its original context and in the current one? The gesture which, incidentally, means absolutely nothing to Sakura, but which she still gets mushy-kneed over anyway?

God, that pissed me off.

Quote:
What the hell happened? Ino and freaking SAI of all people? How, why, what, who, when, where?

Ino/Sai has a logic to it, but it's so bad that it'll make you reach for the bottle when you figure it out. Remember that in Kishimoto's world, the boy you have a crush on when you're twelve is the boy you're deeply in love with for the rest of your life, even if you've never had a conversation with them and then they fudge off for three years and turn into a complete murderous asshole. And remember, Sai is in every single way (appearance, narrative role, in-universe role) a replacement for and cut-rate version of Sasuke.

Told you you wouldn't like it.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
It's a shame that the final chapter is in black and white. Viz cheaped out again. I heard a SJ: Yearbook will be out this fall with a the full color of the final chapter and chapter 1 of Gaiden..buuuut it's for subscribers only and can't be purchased by regular readers.

Even though Naruto ended last year, I am still being hit by reality hard. Can't believe it's finally over.

of course viz went into cheap mode instead of going full color. if they had any decency for the series they would have given this one volume the full color treatment considering how die hard fans are.

Or, you know, they just localized and translated the Japanese edition of the book, which is also black and white.

The only way to get the full color chapter in Japan is to own that issue of WSJ or to buy the databook for the Boruto movie.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:

Ino/Sai has a logic to it, but it's so bad that it'll make you reach for the bottle when you figure it out. Remember that in Kishimoto's world, the boy you have a crush on when you're twelve is the boy you're deeply in love with for the rest of your life, even if you've never had a conversation with them and then they fudge off for three years and turn into a complete murderous asshole. And remember, Sai is in every single way (appearance, narrative role, in-universe role) a replacement for and cut-rate version of Sasuke.

I was under the assumption Choji and Ino would get together then Sai came out of nowhere like a Tony Romo interception.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4