• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gatchaman Crowds insight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Great episode (#11) this week, and a great review, which also served as an effective summary of this season. There's a lot of information to absorb in every episode of GC:I, and Nick's analysis really helps me unpack it.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
What a great show. It's been a while since a piece of media made me think so much about the society we live in. True, it won't save the world, but it should have made a change in some people. At the very least, I now feel compelled to inform myself much better about the possible candidates when the next presidential elections arrive, and to meditate more about my choices in society before "answering".
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Really a great show and I truly enjoyed most of it. But just like in the first season, I have to say I couldn't find myself agreeing with the final message. Gatchaman's idealism and deep rooted belief in human goodness always feels to me like it contrasts with the undeniable truths the show presents.

This time what ticked me off was Hajime's sacrifice being so potent. Hajime has always been a "little" too perfect as a character, especially for such a complex show, but this time I think it went overboard. I felt the entire season eloquently demonstrated how the crowd mentality and the "atmosphere" are really an integral part of society. We all know what it can cause (IE Nazis), but we still all get swallowed up by it, all the time (IE The Wave).
Could seeing the results of those actions one more time really change such a fundamental part of human nature? I at least can't accept that.

Another thing that bothered me was the eradication of crowds. The first season went to great lengths to prove that the crowds are a positive change and a catalyst for better society, this season eradicated them and hasn't even bothered to address the point since. A very odd choice.

Nevertheless, I found the show to be fantastic and thought-provoking. I don't know how many shows I watched that had this level of introspection and insight for human society. Some of the ideas were presented so brilliantly I really felt the show should be taught in schools around the world.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
RosaBatata wrote:
Another thing that bothered me was the eradication of crowds. The first season went to great lengths to prove that the crowds are a positive change and a catalyst for better society, this season eradicated them and hasn't even bothered to address the point since. A very odd choice.

CROWDS was around at the last episode again, so I'm guessing we're supposed to assume people were okay with them again after the Kuu-sama fiasco
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
RosaBatata wrote:

CROWDS was around at the last episode again, so I'm guessing we're supposed to assume people were okay with them again after the Kuu-sama fiasco

That is true, and X did say that they're going to need to think about that carefully, so I guess that sits well with the message.
I am still surprised their return didn't play a bigger part. Personally I was convinced the direction of the show was the Crowds beating the Kuu-sama, and human choice prevailing over the atmosphere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7