• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saban Listed as Promoting Smile Precure to Licensees as Glitter Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Have no problem with this, as this can help kids or others get into anime. People might even like this version, as there are fans of other anime like this like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Sailor Moon for example, that like the "hack up versions" more than the original. Just depends on how Saban plans to handle the franchise.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I have never actually appreciated the expression of "threw up in my mouth" until now. Like seriously. I can't wrap my head around that name... It' doesn't relate to anything. Not the theme, the weapons, nothing.

daichi383 wrote:
If this is actually happening, boy am i glad they didn't decided to start by ruining Heartcatch Precure.

MY. THOUGHTS. EXACTLY. Anyone who messes with Tsubomi is gonna get one angry forum post from me. What? It's not like I can do anything else. (^.^;)

Set1229 wrote:
As an adult who considers himself a child at the core, I honestly don't mind edits for children's audiences. I got into anime through edited episodes of Voltron/Golion, thousands of other people got started with edited shows, as well.

To be frank, I do not always think "true to the original" is a synonym for better. One of the most amazing non-anime movies I ever saw changed a few things from the novel it was based on and those changes honestly made me like most of the characters more.

No. Just no. I won't begrudge you for liking the edited versions more, but you have to understand - just because it might be better, doesn't make it a good adaptation. That's not the point. That's not what many of us are arguing for. Just like translations, you can rewrite the dialogue to make the characters funnier, make the stories sadder or even give it more meaning. But that doesn't take away from the fact that you're messing with the original and the original has value in and of itself. Also, your mileage may vary. We've had a long track record of horrible edits, changes and censorship. Not to mention, many of us are reacting instinctively to the god-awful sounding name and pressing the panic button.

Of course, that's coming from a jaded and cynical grown-up's perspective like mine where all I feel is indignation when I think back to the dubbed shows that I watched when I grew up like Cardcaptors and Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. But did I enjoy them? You bet I did.

Last edited by Actar on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I just wonder how they're going to handle the ending dance sequence. I mean, it's such a fun gimmick for kids but it also goes in hand with the "Yay! Yay! Yay!" song that probably wont be dubbed or will be taken out by the broadcaster's ads during the credits

I hope they find a way to fit it in, seems like a waste otherwise.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I just wonder how they're going to handle the ending dance sequence. I mean, it's such a fun gimmick for kids but it also goes in hand with the "Yay! Yay! Yay!" song that probably wont be dubbed or will be taken out by the broadcaster's ads during the credits

I hope they find a way to fit it in, seems like a waste otherwise.

Cut for commercial time.
The opening and closing credits will be edited down to ~30 second segments for a total of 1 minute, for reference the combined run time of the op ed of the original Smile Precure segments counts out to 3 minutes, that is 2 minutes cut out for there to be "for one possibly 2 more commercial promos"
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
sakuramusicstar wrote:
As for you people whining about how American has butchered another anime, do you ever stop to think that how Saban and other companies only care about their target audience than you?

Yes, we're aware that anime fans aren't what Saban and others had in mind. That doesn't mean that they can't express their [respectful] viewpoints of how their handling the show.

With most of the posts being "respectful" that it's already butchered, I don't see many of them being talked in an respectful manner. It's one of those series that has been given the opportunity to be showed here since it could be popular to the same audience that it is an Japan, with that adaptation there is going to be changes that appeal to the American audiences. Most of the posts here are judging it before it even comes out but it's one of those things that people have to come in with an open mind since you know it's going to be different. You might not like it but it's being exposed to Western audiences in hopes that the same target audience will like it too.
Aster Selene

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I understand that it's not a good idea to judge something prematurely before it comes out. I understand that there might be reasons to snip something from 48 episodes down to 40 and that given that the series does have existing filler, it might be possible to retain a coherent narrative. I understand that it's possible to retain everything else even if the names are changed.

However.

As a Digimon fan, and as someone who has friends who's watched what Saban Brands has been doing with Power Rangers, and as a Korean person who was absolutely aghast back when it was going to be called Gangnam Girls, I do not have reason to have much faith in this adaptation. On the positive side, this may allow PreCure to become big in the West, but Saban Brands also has no clue how to market; they barely made anything that could resemble an attempt to market Digimon Fusion.

The track record is poor and I know many others in this thread are feeling the same way. Perhaps the company can pleasantly surprise me, but I have a hard time believing that it'll be that way.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
BTW, if you guys are gonna complain, blame Toei. They can do a better job with their stuff here, but choose to be a-holes about it. In some ways, unlike the other anime companies, they even encourage piracy, too, with their endorsements of half-assed releases of their properties.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Yes, but then they'll be the next group of people that will eventually voice discontent that they were watching a butchered English version of the show the entire time after finding out.

Of course they will. They wouldn't be able to call themselves an anime fan if they didn't complain. However, if they make it this far, they'll likely have watched other anime, and may stick around as an anime fan for several years to come.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Toei should have some integrity and not allow butchering to happen to the properties they sell. I know they want to make a profit, but there's probably a way of doing that without the product being run through the mill.

And of course, if Saban can't sell it as it's meant to be, they shouldn't purchase the rights to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I've wanted Pretty Cure in the US for a long time but not like this. I hope Glitter Force bombs. Hard.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
I've wanted Pretty Cure in the US for a long time but not like this. I hope Glitter Force bombs. Hard.

Your assumption is that Glitter Force is "only" for the US market, the point of the Saban/Toei deal is to hit as many western market nations as possible, so even if it doesn't appeal to US kids, it still has several other marketable demographics to sell out to.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

Your assumption is that Glitter Force is "only" for the US market, the point of the Saban/Toei deal is to hit as many western market nations as possible, so even if it doesn't appeal to US kids, it still has several other marketable demographics to sell out to.

I don't really care who it's for. If it's heavily edited like we all know it's going to be, then I want it to fail. I want an uncut release which I'm obviously not going to get from Saban. Admittedly, there was never a good chance of that happening anyway.
Blue21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, Italy airs Precure without compromising its content, and it has worked fine for them. Why is it that the US feels the need to localize things to the point of eliminating any element that might identify the show as Japanese?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
or Akane's family's okonomiyaki restaurant.

Laughing turn it into an IHOP
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Kitsunelaine wrote:
Precure's a cute show for young girls. I see nothing wrong with it being licensed over here with a name that actually makes sense to english speaking kids.

That, I can absolutely agree with.

My only concern is, as others have pointed out, the possibility of editing the show. If for whatever reason there is a justifiable reason for this, or it's a case of early-news misinformation, then I'll be nothing but happy for this license.

Honestly the titles for the Precure series have always baffled me. This says nothing against the content of the shows themselves, just the odd word salad of their titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10