• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust Dub.Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
If it was intended for theatrical release, then it should have been mastered at a very high resolution.
If not, and it was made for DVD, then yes, nothing can be done about it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
It WAS made at a high resolution, but because of the way it was created, you can't get a very good remastering from it. The quality exists, there just isn't any good way to transfer it to bluray.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
After watching the Blu-ray, I'm convinced the movie was produced in traditional cel animation, but they edited it on digital video before printing it on film. That would explain the artificial-looking grain and the weird flickering.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm embarrassed to say I have never seen Vampire Hunter (or Bloodlust) despite knowing its existence for the past 5 years. I'll make sure to fix that within the next 24 hours.
AholePony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
After watching the Blu-ray, I'm convinced the movie was produced in traditional cel animation, but they edited it on digital video before printing it on film. That would explain the artificial-looking grain and the weird flickering.

It defiantly was made with painted cels. I own one and have seen many. I was also told at one point that the backgrounds were done by people that did backgrounds for princess mononoke, but I've never verified that.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote
Anddo wrote:
I'm embarrassed to say I have never seen Vampire Hunter (or Bloodlust) despite knowing its existence for the past 5 years. I'll make sure to fix that within the next 24 hours.

Let us know what you think!

I actually saw this movie for the first time in a small arthouse theater on Halloween. That was a great evening. One thing I still remember was when Carmilla attacked, they made clever use of the sound system, making her voice come at you from different directions, as if her ghost were flying around in the theater with you.
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Anddo wrote:

Let us know what you think!

I actually saw this movie for the first time in a small arthouse theater on Halloween. That was a great evening. One thing I still remember was when Carmilla attacked, they made clever use of the sound system, making her voice come at you from different directions, as if her ghost were flying around in the theater with you.

Finally saw the first one!! (1985)

Loved every moment. The film gives off this heavy Castlevania vibe which I really liked and D was a very cool and stoic main character. From how you describe Bloodlust, I'm excited to watch it next (though certainly jealous that you saw it in theaters!!).
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
Anddo wrote:

Finally saw the first one!! (1985)

Loved every moment. The film gives off this heavy Castlevania vibe which I really liked and D was a very cool and stoic main character.

Awesome! (Hoists a goblet in memory of its director, the late, great Toyo'o Ashida).
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Awesome! (Hoists a goblet in memory of its director, the late, great Toyo'o Ashida).

Rest in peace, I see he also directed Hokuto. Truly a legend!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
In making the "Bloodlust" movie, Kawajiri changed quite a lot from the 3rd novel, and every single change was IMO for the better. Before he retires, I really hope he has one more VHD film in him.

That would be amazing if he could, this was a great movie and it'd be great to see him do it again with the even better tech available.

I think I remember that as well vanfanel, that was neat with her echoing voice. I too initially saw it at one of those just-about-done screenings they did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2