• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Love Live! The School Idol Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Foxaika wrote:
So uh...what did you think about the film?

I thought it was clear that I didn't watch it. I mean, why would I watch something whose very existence ruins the franchise on both narrative and artistic levels?

I was making a joke about how your post said very little about the actual film, and how I could almost see you climbing on your soapbox decrying its existence(without having seen it of course). Sorry, suppose it wasn't completely clear. Wink

Though if you do want a reason to watch the film, it's simple: If you enjoyed the series before, the characters, the music, the humor, etc, then you will likely enjoy the film.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
^
I enjoyed the first season, and found it to be surprisingly good. I thought the second season was weaker but I still liked it too . . . until I saw that cliffhanger of course.

If I could forget about the second season then I probably would watch the movie and I probably would enjoy it as well. But I just can't ignore an entire season, as much as I might want to.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I enjoyed the first season, and found it to be surprisingly good. I thought the second season was weaker but I still liked it too . . . until I saw that cliffhanger of course.

If I could forget about the second season then I probably would watch the movie and I probably would enjoy it as well. But I just can't ignore an entire season, as much as I might want to.

Yeah, I suppose it's all about what makes you enjoy something. Even if I acknowledged everything you said and agreed with it, I'd still watch and love the film without complaint for example.
wohdin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
Yay for anime films that premiere in a number of places in the US that you can count on one hand! The rest of us get to enjoy waiting 6~12 months for it to get a horribly-overpriced Blu-ray release.

Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty sure this movie doesn't even *need* a review; the people who care already have seen it or committed to seeing it, and the rest of the world will drift past it, not even noticing it exists. Nothing will change this.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
Yay for anime films that premiere in a number of places in the US that you can count on one hand! The rest of us get to enjoy waiting 6~12 months for it to get a horribly-overpriced Blu-ray release.

It's actually got a pretty wide run for an anime movie; about thirty cities.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:

How expensive are NISA's movie releases? Their series releases are reasonable, but I've never purchased a film from them.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
Unless they do some sort of Aniplex style Japanese import (Sure they've never done it before, but Love Live is kind of a big deal so it's a possibility) I'm guessing that the release won't come until they pump out an English dub which in turn won't come out until they dub Season 1 and 2.

Whatever the case, I'll be importing the Japanese Blu-ray as soon as I can and I don't plan on double dipping unless there's some sort of added incentive like an English dub or some cool western exclusive extras.

Speaking of which, has there been literally any news about the dub since it was announced in April? I've got a vague idea as to what I can expect (Even though the Japanese is far better, I found the Bang Zoom dub of K-ON to be one of the better 'moe girl show' dubs) but I still can't help but feel a little impatient after 5 months with no news whatsoever other than a comment from a guy at NIS suggesting the songs will likely be left in Japanese.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:56 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
How expensive are NISA's movie releases? Their series releases are reasonable, but I've never purchased a film from them.

They haven't released a stand alone movie since they redesigned the boxes for their premium box sets but all the movies they have released so far have been $39.99 for the premium editions.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Unless they do some sort of Aniplex style Japanese import (Sure they've never done it before, but Love Live is kind of a big deal so it's a possibility) I'm guessing that the release won't come until they pump out an English dub which in turn won't come out until they dub Season 1 and 2.

Whatever the case, I'll be importing the Japanese Blu-ray as soon as I can and I don't plan on double dipping unless there's some sort of added incentive like an English dub or some cool western exclusive extras.

Speaking of which, has there been literally any news about the dub since it was announced in April? I've got a vague idea as to what I can expect (Even though the Japanese is far better, I found the Bang Zoom dub of K-ON to be one of the better 'moe girl show' dubs) but I still can't help but feel a little impatient after 5 months with no news whatsoever other than a comment from a guy at NIS suggesting the songs will likely be left in Japanese.

Hopefully that's not the case as to have both seasons dubbed but not the movie would make me sad but I doubt they wont bring it over and dub it too but like you said it will be after they dub seasons 1 and 2 because the movie just premiered in Japan so as is usual with R1 anime releases we'll have to wait quite awhile due to reverse importation fears.

On your last point I've asked NISA on their facebook a few times about the dubbed sets and the movie and just recently as well and they told me that they couldn't give me any updates but were happy about my enthusiasm but I have to believe that they'll announce something soon as they have nothing at all announced for games or anime for Q1 but I definitely feel you on being impatient haha
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quote
Somehow I forgot about the only cinema screening day in Australia (last Saturday), after having seen μ's from Love Live! live 3 times in Japan. Shocked
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:55 am Reply with quote
@dtm42: The ending to season 2 was fantastic. I bet you disliked the Panty and Stocking ending as well.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
Just came back from the SG screening and I can't believe that I'm not the only one who thought that spoiler[she was the future Honoka. (Anime exclamation) ...man, the time paradox regarding the Mic.]

Excellent show, but do have some complaints that have already been echoed by the previous posts. Firstly, the whole New York arc did feel really unnecessary. It lead to unnecessary comparison with the K-On! movie which handled it so much better.

A personal nitpick was the stylistic (?) integration of the songs into the movie. For some reason, each time they burst into song, they seem to summon a reality marble and instantly warp away. Really didn't enjoy that as it was rather jarring, took us away from the moment and left a lot to the imagination. Not sure if the songs were created for the movie or vice versa, but many of the situations did feel like they were written specifically to feature the songs.

I really do hate drawing the comparison, but the K-On! movie felt more organic with the song integration, with a clear in-universe reason for the conception, writing and performing of the songs.

Did a bit more research and I can't believe they're only offering the Shikishi with the Gold Class tickets... that cost 110 SGD.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
@dtm42: The ending to season 2 was fantastic. I bet you disliked the Panty and Stocking ending as well.

Cliffhangers in a series that's already proven to be extremely popular and was written in for the purpose of actually leading to something are in an entirely different category to cliffhangers at the end of a more niche show's first season where the chances of the show not getting a second season are actually higher than the other way around.

omiya wrote:
Somehow I forgot about the only cinema screening day in Australia (last Saturday), after having seen μ's from Love Live! live 3 times in Japan.

Well they announced a Sunday screening for the venues that sold out and just now they've announced an encore screening for next Saturday. So it's actually more like a three day limited screening where the first day is slightly bigger than the others.

DuchessBianca wrote:
On your last point I've asked NISA on their facebook a few times about the dubbed sets and the movie and just recently as well and they told me that they couldn't give me any updates but were happy about my enthusiasm but I have to believe that they'll announce something soon as they have nothing at all announced for games or anime for Q1 but I definitely feel you on being impatient haha

Good point. I'm hoping we get something before the end of the year.

I don't expect anything crazy like all 26 dubbed episodes being uploaded on Crunchyroll and Animelab before the end of the year but at the very least I just want a trailer, a cast list, a director, a release window, something before Christmas rolls on by.

Like the worldwide screening, the announcement (Which ironically came within hours of the dub being announced) was something that felt too good to be true. But unlike the movie which I know for sure was totally real from actually seeing the movie, it's been talked about so little ever since that it's almost the news might as well have just been part of some elaborate belated April Fools joke.

[Edit]: fixed your quotes: Errinundra.
AP24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Did a bit more research and I can't believe they're only offering the Shikishi with the Gold Class tickets... that cost 110 SGD.

LOL, in Australia I got it along with School Idol Festival SR promo code just by buying normal ticket that cost about $20 AUD.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

You can't believe that? Aren't the central tenets of Love Live 1) cute girls singing catchy songs and 2) fleecing the franchise's many diehard fans with loads of expendable income?
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Actar wrote:

You can't believe that? Aren't the central tenets of Love Live 1) cute girls singing catchy songs and 2) fleecing the franchise's many diehard fans with loads of expendable income?

Number 2 is so true haha My LL collection is massive but I don't regret any of it Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4