• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hamatora English Dub Cast Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Its not a bad looking cast fairly typical casting from Chris Ayres. It looks like Adam Gibbs is back in Texas for the long haul at the moment. I will say tho the constant casting of Sentai Filmworks production crew is sloppy and unnecessary. If you need to cast amateurs to fill out all the minor roles that should tell you that you need to find more stage talent who act professionally for a living. The difference in the acting between the production crew and actual stage actors is night and day. I hope this trend doesn't continue but it probably will which is unfortunate.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
This might be Heresy in these parts but I truly love Greg Aryes, he brings life to all his roles and makes them a joy to watch/listen to.

Excited to watch this for the first time and with the dub when the bluray set releases Anime smile
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Its not a bad looking cast fairly typical casting from Chris Ayres. It looks like Adam Gibbs is back in Texas for the long haul at the moment. I will say tho the constant casting of Sentai Filmworks production crew is sloppy and unnecessary. If you need to cast amateurs to fill out all the minor roles that should tell you that you need to find more stage talent who act professionally for a living. The difference in the acting between the production crew and actual stage actors is night and day. I hope this trend doesn't continue but it probably will which is unfortunate.

And what if those production crew members are better in the role than some "stage talent" who auditioned for it? The role should go to whoever the casting director thinks is best for the role. Assuming it's just for ease or due to lack of other talented actors is arrogance on your part.

How about people at least listen to the dub before jumping to conclusions? I guess that might be too much to ask for.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Its not a bad looking cast fairly typical casting from Chris Ayres. It looks like Adam Gibbs is back in Texas for the long haul at the moment. I will say tho the constant casting of Sentai Filmworks production crew is sloppy and unnecessary. If you need to casts to fill out all the minor roles that should tell you that you need to find more stage talent who act professionally for a living. The difference in the acting between the production crew and actual stage actors is night and day. I hope this trend doesn't continue but it probably will which is unfortunate.

And what if those production crew members are better in the role than some "stage talent" who auditioned for it? The role should go to whoever the casting director thinks is best for the role. Assuming it's just for ease or due to lack of other talented actors is arrogance on your part.

How about people at least listen to the dub before jumping to conclusions? I guess that might be too much to ask for.

I've heard all of the production crew in various roles since the fall of last year and none of them are even remotely on par with any of the veteran or rookie houston actors at all. This is a professional dub that quite frankly shouldn't have amateurs in it who've proven on several occasions that they can't really act and continuously tend to bring down the quality of each the dub they happen to be cast in. Its odd you say its arrogance on my part when in reality the same could be said about your opinion as well. I'm not jumping to much of an conclusion when I know from experience that the end result isn't going to be impressive. Obviously you have a different opinion and that's fine but I just don't feel its appropriate to cast regular joes in roles that have always been intended for professional actors.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Off topic, but has Sentai given any updates about the Parasyte dub??

Feel like I've been waiting forever for even a little info on it, meanwhile they have made a bunch of announcements of series after that.
EclecticDude23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so let me get this straight

If Sentai casts the same veterans in major roles, people here still complain about it saying statements akin to 'Why u no cast new people?
'
But if they go and cast new people, gee like they listen to fans or something but that couldn't be the case right, then yeah complain about that as well. Can't satisfy everyone, oh well.....

Maybe we should a committee of fans like you to determine who gets in what dubs eh?
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Bloodgod wrote:
Off topic, but has Sentai given any updates about the Parasyte dub??

Feel like I've been waiting forever for even a little info on it, meanwhile they have made a bunch of announcements of series after that.

maybe they're keeping most of the cast a secret until the show premiers on Toonami like Akame ga Kill
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to watching this.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote

I've heard all of the production crew in various roles since the fall of last year and none of them are even remotely on par with any of the veteran or rookie houston actors at all. This is a professional dub that quite frankly shouldn't have amateurs in it who've proven on several occasions that they can't really act and continuously tend to bring down the quality of each the dub they happen to be cast in. Obviously you have a different opinion and that's fine but I just don't feel its appropriate to cast regular joes in roles that have always been intended for professional actors.

I heard them all too, Brittany Deans(gold in LH), Cayla Coats (good actress as kids), Ellisa Moore (again gold in LH) and others that have no mention due to them fitting the roles given. Majority of them are not even close to below average when they group the staff actors all together for some background takes. You don't compare actors, you judge their performance from the role given. Directing 101

You think a veteran should waste his time and energy being cast by the figitey director for multiple characters such as the main and market clerk C and then be noticed by a critic, dropping points for reuse of actors? Or having to waste days upon days to find a oscar worthy actor for Nurse A when no viewer will pay decent amount of attention when the show itself doesn't give that card board character attention? Also lowering points for wasted potential?

If every character is going to be voiced by a veteran/professional, then the fanbase of said veteran/professional will be focusing on that specific character/performance instead of the show at hand. AOT cast David Matranga as Bertholt, the greatest of young/old voice actors voicing a side character with no development or clever interaction until future content. And fans like myself would already guess the importance of this character since such a pro actor is voicing him. So Mike Mcfarland thinking he made a clever idea just gave big foreshadowing on one of the manga's biggest A pulls.

Or the cast of a character would feel like a waste ala FMA/B with that religious nut job chick in the corrupt priest arc voiced by...........Jamie? Brina? Colly? They keep sounding the same. A professional for a 2 note character and we never see her again until SOOOOO FAR LATER! She isn't Jill or Luca from Berserk, she is a messed up bimbo. And that performance not only was a waste IMO, but it was handled poorly with making her squak and whine superficially. So for a character that would never be remembered or have any chance to let shine by professional actors, it would be best to get a newbie or staff to do it since that could get there foot in the business and get more time to work on the remaining project...........and for Mike to direct Aaron more.

Hamatora for what we know is a semi weak mystery show with the only characters to properly pay attention are the main cast with a overall average score. So spending so much time cleaning it would be a waste unless they can blindfold/handcuff Steven Foster back to make a Animaniacs/Scooby-Doo dub for it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
Fans are going to complain about dub casts whether they are newer or veterans. The freedom of speech can include freedom from being nice or having common sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1