• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fashion in Manga does not exist.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
Is it true that the clothing and gear in the various Manga don't really exist? Realistic stuff now, not the sci-fi stuff.

For example: Someone told me alot of the gear in Bleach and Air Gear technically don't exist, despite looking like they could've been designed by a fashion designer and could be sold in department stores. Hmrf, and I really wanted a BAPE sweatshirt from the latest Air Gear.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
A lot of artists use fashion magazines for reference, so a lot of clothes maybe based on real clothing items but have been altered to look slightly different.

I know cospa makes a lot of the clothing from anime and manga into real items though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote
If it's realistic it shouldn't be hard to make. I'm sure there are similar clothes in stores but in manga the clothes are usually made up. It would be copyright infrigement if the clothes were designed by someone.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it true that the clothing and gear in the various Manga don't really exist? Realistic stuff now, not the sci-fi stuff.

Not necessarily true. Like previously mentioned, some fashion within a manga series may be inspired by fashion magazines, but there are also times when a series may do well enough that some fashion may be drawn from the series.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Quote:

Not necessarily true. Like previously mentioned, some fashion within a manga series may be inspired by fashion magazines, but there are also times when a series may do well enough that some fashion may be drawn from the series.

They can't mirror fashion too closely. Shojo manga-ka Rin Yoshii directly copied an image from fashion magazine Sweet for use in her series Switch. All three of her manga titles were taken off shelves and are being looked into for more plagiarism.

I don't have a link with a more detailed article on this, but it was in Anime Insider's July issue.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
They can't mirror fashion too closely. Shojo manga-ka Rin Yoshii directly copied an image from fashion magazine Sweet for use in her series Switch. All three of her manga titles were taken off shelves and are being looked into for more plagiarism.

I don't have a link with a more detailed article on this, but it was in Anime Insider's July issue.

They also posted it up here at ANN some time back.
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
They want to make their clothing look refreshing and different.
smoochy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Some of the clothes I've seen in manga would have to be sewn onto your body every morning if you were really going to wear something like that...
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
If you want to see fashion sense -- go read Ah My Goddess. The Goddesses practically dress differently with each chapter.
Ruri-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Most authors who write manga that take place in the present would probably do research on styles that are in and incorporate those styles for the characters. I don't mean stealing the style of a particular brand, but taking a certain style shirt and adding their own flair. Like in Bleach. Those designs can be made into real clothes but it's not a specific real life designer.

Fighterholic also has a good point. A good example is Yazawa Ai with NANA. She created a trend in pop culture with girls dressing like Nana.
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A good example is Yazawa Ai with NANA. She created a trend in pop culture with girls dressing like Nana.

Girls were dressing like that before NANA. Although the show did bring out Rockinghorse shoes again (the shoes with the cut out in the back that NANA, Shin and Nobu wear.. I even own a pair myself)

I think its refreshing to see characters change clothes. I like series where characters actually have a closet full of different clothes
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
I think its refreshing to see characters change clothes. I like series where characters actually have a closet full of different clothes

Agreed! Theres very few anime and cartoons like that. I love NANA's styles so much I just want to steal all of Ozaki and Komatsu clothes off them.

Peach girl is another example of cool style in manga.
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I want a "SPEAKING IS NOT COMMUNICATION" shirt. Crying or Very sad
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I admire the styles in Nana but they're a bit too trendy for my tastes Anime smile + sweatdrop

My favorite manga-ka fashionwise would be Wataru Yoshizumi (Marmalade Boy, Ultra Maniac) -- she dresses up her characters in natural, down-to-earth outfits.
Ruri-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:

Girls were dressing like that before NANA. Although the show did bring out Rockinghorse shoes again (the shoes with the cut out in the back that NANA, Shin and Nobu wear.. I even own a pair myself)

I feel the same way as you and Viga. I know it's silly but I always think if they washed their clothes since they wear it everyday. Embarassed

I knew that the style was around but it seemed to me that it just exploded. Maybe it's just me and I'm just realizing it. Quite possible. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2