• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Righteously Confident Protagonists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I'm also a little surprised (but not disappointed!) that Kirito didn't get mentioned, given how much people complain about him in this vein.

I don't think he would fit in quite right. He has his cocky moments (episode 4) but doesn't have the same "I am the strongest/exactly as planned" feel that the others have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
This is a doubly confusing sentence, because he is on the list and he is never the antagonist. You are misusing the word.

Why is Lelouch not listed with the surname Lamperouge?

While scrolling through the list, I overlooked that. By antagonist, I mean, as in the villain. While there is a slight difference between the 2, the words are almost the same. Light was both the hero and the villain of the series. Heck, even Brad Swaile has commented on VA panel I saw on YT like 5 years ago about Light being both.
BluExocet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Akagi Shigeru, gambling god.

Never once wavers or shows a smidgen of doubt. Games where death is the entry fee, he always wins.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Dio? Really? Not Joeseph, not Jotaro (both could've worked well in this top), but Dio? In the protagonist top? You could've as well put Fate's Gilgamesh.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Aww. I was hoping for at least one female protagonist Razz
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Praise be to the One True Onii-sama, defender of the imoto! It is a testament to the wisdom of ANN's writers that they acknowledge his rightful place atop the pyramid of ultimate badass protagonists! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I third that Kazuma should be on this list. He does what he wants, doesn't care what anyone thinks and then has the power to back it up. I still love the scene where he get attacked by his family in the beginning because they suspect him for the murders, and he basically tells them, if he wanted them dead, they would be dead.

Another one that shocks me that is not on this list is Akatuski from Rogue Heroes aesthic. I mean he is the complete polar opposite of the typical harem hero. Sure some will say he is a somewhat extreme, but the again so are half the people on this list.
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Eternal precious (Lulu) and newest precious (Adlet). Thank yooouuuu~

I don't feel like getting into it right now, but I would usually reply to this with more depth about Lulu's character, and how he's not just an arrogant jerk, he's actually quite compassionate a lot of times. His conflict tends to be that there are influences in his life - namely, his parents in the past, and C.C. in the present of the series - that want to tell him that compassion is weakness, and get him to be ruthless, but that's not who he is. That's not the kind of person, or the kind of leader, he truly wants to be, and that's why things go wrong when he tries to follow that instead of his heart. (see s1e12-13 (spoiler[Shirley's father dying]), vs R2e8 (spoiler[the million zeroes]))
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
About the Poll:

So the most attractive (read: rocking) facial hair, ha? There was this one Titan in Shingeki no Kyojin
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
This article was quite poorly written. Referring only to grammar and incorrect word use, its was used incorrectly multiple times, there's a lack of hyphenation in adjective phrases, Izayoi is described as doing things "is own way", disinterested is used to mean uninterested, the article uses (including quotation marks) "every-man", whereas the correct word is everyman, and so on. It seems to have simply slipped by editing.

The content itself is written with an off-putting lack of context, internal consistency and strange word choices. Dio "managed to break away thanks to the generous heart of George Joestar", we're told... how? His "access to more opportunities only leads to more confidence and abilities", apparently – this is so vague as to be meaningless. "Since Dio is a megalomaniac" – this is being mentioned for the first time – "his later found (sic) immortality only causes more problems for the Joestar family" – but no problems have been mentioned so far for there to be more of them. Sōma is apparently "touting superiority because he has a silver chef's spoon in his mouth" – what on earth does this mean? This feels like a catchy zinger of a line, but I can't make heads or tails of it. "How else would he have come up with an egg dish that won over Erina?" we're asked, and the only appropriate response is "Who is Erina and is winning her over supposed to be particularly difficult or a goal worth achieving in the first place?" This feels nitpicky, but it really is almost every sentence.

Izayoi's section states: "After arriving in Little Garden and hearing the rules of the world, he immediately challenges the Water God to a fight and wins by kicking him in the face." To a reader who doesn't already know what any of this means, none of this has any significance whatsoever. What is Little Garden? What are the rules of the world? Who is the Water God? My humble attempt, to illustrate what I'm taking about, would go:

"Finding himself whisked off to the fantasy world of Little Garden, Izayoi wastes no time in challenging a powerful water god to a fight, and winning with a kick to the face and little apparent effort."

Hopefully this post can be taken as feedback. I found myself unable to concentrate on the article itself because the writing kept bugging me.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Using a fanart for Dio's spot was enough for me to tell this was not serious (aside that he's obviously not a protagonist).
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Most of the charas I know on this week's poll are old guys and it made me uncomfortable Anime hyper So I picked Satsuki! (Though I was levitating towards King Bradley cause I like him a lot lol).
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Best facial hair easily goes to Vlad Tepes (Alucard) of Hellsing Ultimate. I mean... just look at him *A*

Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Another overly confident protagonist: Ozora Tsubasa from Captain Tsubasa. He knows he's good. But even more than him, Wakabayashi Genzo. God he's cocky as hell.
brace625

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
So the most attractive (read: rocking) facial hair, ha? There was this one Titan in Shingeki no Kyojin

You sure that isn't Freddy from Cromartie High.

For some reason I feel like Gilgamesh should have been on this weeks The List. He has every reason to be confident and his overconfidence is his downfall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6