• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DBZ: Kai, Akame ga KILL! Topped Saturday U.S. Cable Ratings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
First, these ratings are based on "metered" households, ones where Nielsen has obtained permission to install a box that monitors what is being watched. The modern boxes can measure delayed viewing on DVRs as well. Read the details in the articles Ushio posted for details. The "diaries" that rizuchan describes are only used in "sweep" periods (February, May, July, and November) so that smaller markets where meters are not cost-effective can be measured.

Nielsen works very hard to secure a representative sample of households, especially when it comes to meters. With millions of dollars turning on a single rating point, their methods are subject to review and criticism from the networks and the advertising agencies every day.

Also we are talking about a Saturday in August when overall viewership is low, and everything is in reruns.
rshackleford

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
fwiw, Neilson said to me 2 weeks ago that the 18-35(or 49) demographic isn't as in demand with marketers anymore, hence less meters for households in that demo. They said they're focusing on older, it "matters more", to advertisers. Not sure how that affects the overall ratings picture though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing how much of the episode you have to watch for it to "count." Obviously, AgK got a good lead-in from DBZ Kai (even if a hundred thousand or so dropped out), but how many actually stayed for the for whole episode, rather than didn't turn off the TV immediately after DBZ?
Just going from personal experience, AgK has the perfect slot for my husband and I to watch it, with it coming on between DBZ Kai and Michiko and Hatchin. But of course, we don't have a Neilson box so it's not like our viewing counts for anything. :p
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
looks like Adult swim's contract with Sentai is ironically here to stay(I say ironically because people speculated the reason for a lack of Sentai filmworks shows on toonami was because of how Eva and Milk chan didn't do well on AS back in the ADV films days)
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
RikudoAkatsuki wrote:
Naruto always has always pulled better ratings than one piece which can be proven with a Google search, stop being a tard and accept that America doesn't like shitty anime like one piece.

And yet, 850K at 2:30 in the morning is still quite high. So sure, it's not as popular as Naruto, and it tends to go back-and-forth with AOT, but clearly tons of people still watch it.

When Toonami first returned, the front half of the block was struggling to pull those kinds of ratings. The fact that the new baseline for people to complain about a show doing poorly is now the 700k-900k range is kind of amazing actually and just shows how far they've come over the past 3 years.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
lazydude500 wrote:

A while back I read that the Nielsen rating system is flawed and outdated and yeah it kind of is. There could be hundreds of thousands of fans watching a specific show but their viewership means nothing if they don't have a Nielsen box...

It is flawed and outdated, but it's the best that can be done right now. At one point, they tried to put it in every cable/satellite box and TV, but people cited privacy concerns so it's NIMBY.

lazydude500 wrote:

Factor in that more people are streaming their TV on their computers and phones; watching at times best suited for their daily life plus the slow declining death of broadcast television, ratings become more irrelevant with each passing year.

http://circanews.com/news/nielsen-measures-online-streaming

lazydude500 wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me if someday the success of all TV series depends on how many hits the video gets online on an official site (or youtube channel) within the first 24 hours.

Netflix already showed they can succeed with online-only "TV" shows.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
rshackleford wrote:
fwiw, Neilson said to me 2 weeks ago that the 18-35(or 49) demographic isn't as in demand with marketers anymore, hence less meters for households in that demo. They said they're focusing on older, it "matters more", to advertisers. Not sure how that affects the overall ratings picture though.

That actually makes a lot of sense considering the trend of how people are viewing shows now. Younger people are ditching cable in favor of just streaming what they want, so targeting your TV ads towards them is increasingly likely to miss the mark. Some of the appeal of the 18-35 demo also came from going after people who were making money but not necessarily weighed down by obligations like family or student loans. Nowadays though, that 18-35 group simply doesn't have that much disposable income and it is the older crowd that can actually afford to buy things on a whim.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I would've have figured that a late-night cable show would pull in even higher (talking 10+ million) considering you could get away with more objectionable content. But then again, it is dependent on how many are actually up watching it at that time.

With so many channels on TV, you'd only get 10+ million if you're a bona fide hit like Breaking Bad or Walking Dead.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing how much of the episode you have to watch for it to "count." Obviously, AgK got a good lead-in from DBZ Kai (even if a hundred thousand or so dropped out), but how many actually stayed for the for whole episode, rather than didn't turn off the TV immediately after DBZ?

Not sure how much you know about how the ratings work, but it's done by survey. If you are selected, you fill out a booklet and mark both when the TV is just 'on' but no one is watching (i.e. for background noise) and then mark when you are watching TV. You include what channel you're watching and the name of the show. Everyone in the household fills one out so they know what age group watched what.

I know that in some countries TV ratings are measured via a special, DVR-like device that notes which programme the TV was tuned to, for how long it was tuned, and for how long the TV was on. A quick explanation on Nielsen's Digital Meter (from 2003, so of course the methods mentioned are mostly obsolete, but the general idea still stands).
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Can't you just say congrats and move on, instead of questioning everything?
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
RikudoAkatsuki wrote:
All the shows pull great ratings except one piece. Naruto shippuden always pulls good ratings but then one piece comes and ruins it , people always leave the one piece block and come back to watch AoT.

One Piece's ratings are above average for a show that comes on at 2 AM. At that time of night, airing even half an hour earlier can result in higher ratings because people are going to bed; when both shows were on 90 minutes earlier than they are now, their ratings tended to be very close, with One Piece beating Naruto as often as not.

As further proof of this, in the current lineup One Piece almost always beats Attack on Titan (this week was a rare exception) making AoT the lowest-rated show on the block, even though AoT had the highest ratings on Toonami when it aired at 11:30. The difference is obvious: most viewers are in bed by 3.

One Piece almost never beats Naruto, lol what are you talking about? And AOt has run twice and is still getting respectable ratings.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Dessa wrote:

There's a huge difference in people watching the whole episode, or just a part of it. Watching the whole episode bodes well, it means that they at least liked what they saw enough to finish the episode, which in turn makes it more likely for them to watch the second. If they only watched a portion of it, it didn't interest them enough to even finish the episode, which means the ratings for the second episode will drop off significantly.

I want AgK (and Parasyte, and other Sentai shows) to do well, which is why I asked for more info.
emory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Dessa wrote:

There's a huge difference in people watching the whole episode, or just a part of it. Watching the whole episode bodes well, it means that they at least liked what they saw enough to finish the episode, which in turn makes it more likely for them to watch the second. If they only watched a portion of it, it didn't interest them enough to even finish the episode, which means the ratings for the second episode will drop off significantly.

I want AgK (and Parasyte, and other Sentai shows) to do well, which is why I asked for more info.

Technically everyone counts. Just not in the way you're expecting. A rating is an average minute statistic. Every minute, Nielsen's meters collect who is watching the program, adds them up afterwards, and divides by the length of the show in minutes.

In other words, an average of 1,822,000 people were watching Akame ga Kill! during any given minute it was on. Of course, that is not the total number of unique individuals that tuned in to the program at any time while it was on. Networks can receive that information privately, along with stats like minute-by-minute breakdowns, who's watching during the commercials, who sticks around the longest, and so on. Those stats aren't published publicly.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I would've have figured that a late-night cable show would pull in even higher (talking 10+ million) considering you could get away with more objectionable content. But then again, it is dependent on how many are actually up watching it at that time.

You still have most people in North America who think that anime is a kids' thing. On top of that, there isn't a lot of advertising done on other channels or outside of television for Toonami (such as billboards, bus ads, movie theater trailers, etc.), so I'd bet most people flipping through their provider's guides would see names like "Akame ga Kill!" and "Michiko and Hatchin" and have no interest because they're unfamiliar names. Obviously, this goes for streaming services too. Brand name familiarity can go a long way.

WashuTakahashi wrote:
I wish I could stay up later and enjoy these shows, but when you usually clock out by 10pm, staying up until midnight is difficult, let alone any later than that. And I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Stinks that anime isn't the 6-midnight run it used to be in the good ol' days.

I actually watched Akame ga Kill! at 9:30 PM on Saturday night. I live on the west coast but get the eastern Cartoon Network, so everything shows three hours early.

rshackleford wrote:

That's because of two major factors: The elderly are about equally likely to watch any available channel on television at any given time of the day regardless of how late or early it is (this is why you see commercials for AARP recruitment, Life Alert, arthritis medication, and life insurance on pretty much every program), and the elderly, many of whom are retired with money to burn, are more likely to buy things.

I remember studying demographics and psychographics in college and this being one of the things that surprised me enough for it to stand out, that the elderly will watch pretty much anything. They will pay attention to what's on too, even if they don't always understand it all.

Greed1914 wrote:
That actually makes a lot of sense considering the trend of how people are viewing shows now. Younger people are ditching cable in favor of just streaming what they want, so targeting your TV ads towards them is increasingly likely to miss the mark. Some of the appeal of the 18-35 demo also came from going after people who were making money but not necessarily weighed down by obligations like family or student loans. Nowadays though, that 18-35 group simply doesn't have that much disposable income and it is the older crowd that can actually afford to buy things on a whim.

Yeah, that makes me think of how home shopping channels and telemarketers are currently aimed at old people because many will actually buy these items on impulse, sometimes multiple ones, which they'll give to other people.

One time, I was given an ox figurine from one such old person, with the surface made of real ox leather and the horns made from real ox horns. It smelled terrible.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
I dont even start watching toonami until DBZ goes off but I did really enjoy Akame ga Kill and love Michiko & Hatchin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3