• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tracking Board: Lionsgate is Working on Naruto Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Hey, if Kishi was being serious about that interview, a statement from the creator can pretty trump any naysayers' views.
meeedoooz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's not like Naruto has been beloved lately; people couldn't even wait for it to end.

that's just bullshit Smile according to what had naruto " not been beloved " ?! sales were constant with the last volume selling the most if memory serves me, the TOC position had been also constant throughout its whole serialization time.

don't make your own opinion out to be some sort of a "fact". have a good day
ebv2406

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Dear anime god, why?! just WHYYY?!!!

We don't need more "This movie gave me cancer" posts
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
ebv2406 wrote:
Dear anime god, why?! just WHYYY?!!!

We don't need more "This movie gave me cancer" posts

Exactly: Fans read the headline and say, "Lionsgate is working on it, so that means HOLLYWOOD is making it...WHAT'S WRONG WITH HOLLYWOOD THESE DAYS????"
(On one of our movie boards, every time "Hollywood" is angry-fanboy referred to as a monolithic entity, as if there was one big corporate studio making all those movies to bother us, the running joke is "Darn that Arthur J. Hollywood, he's the one to blame, it's all his fault for doing it to us!")

Strictly speaking, Lionsgate isn't making it, and neither is Arthur J. Hollywood--Avi Arad is making it.
Lionsgate can't make it; they're an independent distributor trying to build themselves into a major "A" studio by using their Hunger Games money to branch into greenlighting their own bigger-budget, more marketable mass-audience properties all by themselves, like Bob Shaye at New Line did when he made Golden Compass, or like Golan/Globus did when they made Superman IV and Masters of the Universe.
(Okay, more like the Weinsteins when they made Ella Enchanted, because they wanted a crossover commercial-family demographic audience to compete with Disney and Dreamworks, and pick up the slack from all those danged limited arthouse films.)

Avi needs the job, as we can see from the Scarlett Johanson Ghost/Shell movie, and Lionsgate needs to get away from the fact that Hunger Games is over and there probably won't be too many more Expendables movies after the last one.
WILL they, with this project, only time will tell. But I ain't waiting up nights. Razz
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
For crying out loud, literally the only things we know about this movie is its existence and the potential director. Wait until they leak photos of Naruto in high school or the director to mention that they will be aliens to hate it without even seeing it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood tend to highlight the love story big time (even the stellar Edge of Tomorrow does it) so how would an American version of Hinata who is a Yamato Nadeshiko look like. No seriously.
I don´t care either way until i see a trailer but Titan and One Piece and so on will get movies too. Blame it on money and stuff...
The Naruto manga should have ended with Pain and even the ending to that arc needs to be reworking with a proper villain motivation and no nakaba bullshit at the end. All the random novels and the inevitable Baruto GT Kai anime that will run as long as SJ exist are way worse to the artistic integrity of the once great source material. One or more movies that may or may not suck can´t hurt it any more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Hey, if Kishi was being serious about that interview, a statement from the creator can pretty trump any naysayers' views.

Just like with the good crew of the S.S. NaruSaku who refuse to let the ship rest at the bottom of the sea where it belongs Wink
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
You mean as opposed to that trainwreck that was The Last?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
You mean as opposed to that trainwreck that was The Last?

Haven't seen it just like most of the Naruto movies after the Stone Of Gelel so I can't offer any insight either way Confused
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Lazy retcons, lazy writing, lazy well...everything.

You're better off not watching it.

I thinks this just speaks to how desperate Lionsgate is for another hit franchise.
Snackster1001

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Shia labeouf as naruto pls. JUST DO IT = BELIEVE IT
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Note that closing the rights does not mean a movie will be made. It could be put into development hell, either because the licensor does not approve of what they'll do for any number of reasons, because the studio gets caught in its own red tape and they miss the boat, or the studio gets these rights specifically to prevent their competitors from getting them.

FenixFiesta wrote:
That aside, if people want to push money to create what at best will be "ok" adaptations, but in reality will more than likely show off that there simply are not enough craps to give in such a work.

Oh, there are people in Hollywood who do give these craps. Problem is that their bosses don't, and whatever their bosses say is what goes.

Agent355 wrote:
This is wild. Did they run out of American (male) comic book superheroes to adapt? Well, I suppose Avi Arad did, since he's not with Marvel anymore, but he could still option characters from, uh, Image Comics or something. Naruto is popular and all, but can you think of a property less suited to an American live action film?

One Piece. If I was in the position to do so though, I'd treat it as a challenge.

Maybe Jewelpets too. Or Kill la Kill.

Fireball. It'd be an easy one, legally speaking, as it's already owned by Disney, but absolute hell to adapt properly to live-action, regardless of which country is doing it.

I thought of One Punch Man, but I realized that could actually be very good if executed well, as it's a parody.

Ouran High School Host Club. Or any other series set in a Japanese high school with Japanese culture, and definitely host clubs or maid cafés.

Kodomo no Jikan. It'd be the ending to Little Miss Sunshine spread out to the whole movie.

That zoo manga Kouhei Horikoshi wrote before making Barrage and My Hero Academia.

My Balls! No wait, it'd be a dump month sex comedy.

Monster Musume. It'll become a target for every feminist in the country.

Emerje wrote:
They can't screw it up as badly as the new Fantastic Four movie with black Johnny Storm and white Sue Storm...

Emerje

I was going to look up reviews, but there are none. This movie won't be screened for critics. That's a bad sign.

diefty wrote:
Before it came out nobody knew of Guardians of the Galaxy and now they print money.

The thing is, by then, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has become a household name and trusted by mainstream Americans. If Marvel released Guardians of the Galaxy as the first MCU movie, I don't think it woul'dve done nearly as well.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:32 am Reply with quote
The one Naruto movie i can recommend is the very first. The last 2 kind of line up with anime (not manga) continuity and looked alright but skip them all.

Marvel planed their movies till 2028 btw. and the line keeps expanding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
diefty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

diefty wrote:
Before it came out nobody knew of Guardians of the Galaxy and now they print money.

The thing is, by then, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has become a household name and trusted by mainstream Americans. If Marvel released Guardians of the Galaxy as the first MCU movie, I don't think it woul'dve done nearly as well.

Oh, I absolutely agree, Guardians worked because Marvel already knew what they were doing and because they have a trusted track record. When your previous examples of live action movies include jewels such as DB evolution the fans cant have much hope unlike with Guardians were fans came from stuff like Avengers.
But just because American Superhero movies are on a roll right now there is no better time to keep trying lesser known names and leave the Japanese titles alone unless or untill they can do them justice (which they cant right now) or at least try with easier to adapt titles that fit more with what Hollywood knows best instead of going for the most popular titles and just screw them up.
Gohan22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
My feelings on this are similar to what they were when it was announced that they were going to make a live-action Avatar the Last Airbender film. Namely, I don't really see how it could work well in live-action. It just doesn't seem like a property that would translate well. Some other properties that Hollywood could more easily adapt:

Attack on Titan-Not only could it benefit from Hollywood's money/special effects expertise, but Mikasa being the only Asian in the cast (confirmed anyway) is a plot point (so no "Whitewashing" complaints).

Full Metal Alchemist-Ditto.

Black Lagoon-It's basically a stylized crime series, with a diverse cast. Give it to someone like Tarantino, or John Woo, or Christopher McQuarrie, etc.

Baccano-See above.

Trigun-It's a space-Western, that's doable. Also, diverse cast again.

Monster-It's a thriller/suspense series (and wouldn't be too expensive to make). It's got a European setting and interesting cast.

And those are just a few (there are certainly others).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6