• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tracking Board: Lionsgate is Working on Naruto Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirohae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
OK LIONSGATE IF you're gonna do a LIVE ACTION, you will need to hire these Japanese actors/actresses who did the stage PLAY because these are beyond the BEST looking CAST EVER!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This can only end badly....

And I want a front row seat and a bowl full of popcorn when it does. Razz Laughing

Save some for me! Laughing
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
It'll be hilarious if they use the actual Mount Rushmore as the setting.

Joke aside, I'm mildly curious to see how this ends.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
The creator of Naruto did a interview a while back on Shonen Jump where he was asked the question of casting. Before I found this out I was about to join a angry mob demanding there should be no white people cast in the movie.

The Complete Page
http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q471/uzmarvel/76308287sk2.jpg
macattack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
So even Kishimoto views Naruto and Sakura as being Caucasian.

Interesting...
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Naruto is popular and all, but can you think of a property less suited to an American live action film?
The monogatari series?

WingKing wrote:

Higurashi. Can you imagine the reaction from parents' groups and media watchdogs to a live action movie of that series?
There are already 2 live action versions. Of course they are Japanese, not American...
I have a bad feeling about this though. I hope it does well, but Naruto doesn't really seem like a series that'll make a good (or at least not super cheap looking) live action movie.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
So even Kishimoto views Naruto and Sakura as being Caucasian.

Interesting...

even some characters like Raikage and Killer Bee are not Asian looking
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
I can't get nerd rage about this, because it's hollywood. So they were gonna do this later down the line since Naruto had a strong oversea's following as well.

All you gotta do is vote with your wallet by not voting.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
I'm not even confident this will even get out of Development Hell. Those American takes on Bleach and Death Note never happened, so this might not end up being any different.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Unless I see some report saying that they've actually started shooting the film, then it's best not to get hyped up for it, if at all. I would rather see the Five Nights at Freddy's movie instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
@mrsatan G-Saviour was made by Sunrise. AFAIK, there's only one Sunrise and it's not in the USA.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:34 am Reply with quote
It's not like Naruto has been beloved lately; people couldn't even wait for it to end. And the live-action Attack on Titan already made changes to a popular series, so that's no longer taboo these days. Besides, think of it this way: they can make changes so that Sasuke is no longer so damn emo and NaruSaku could finally happen! Laughing

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Ronin2081 wrote:

Well they did decide to make all of the cast in Attack on Titan Live Action Asian despite the only confirmed Asian character in the series being Mikasa.

Well, the obvious reasoning behind that is that it's a Japanese film and Japan doesn't have a whole lot of ethnic diversity meaning that it would be impractical to hire a bunch of Germans. America on the other hand, is highly diverse and can easily cast actors from different backgrounds.

Though Japanese is not one of them - only less than one-half of 1% of US population (and how many of them are good actors).

Anyways, Naruto is more popular in America than One Piece (now pirates, that's been done to a science in the West), and this could just be in development hell by the time the fandom of Naruto is fading.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
The creator of Naruto did a interview a while back on Shonen Jump where he was asked the question of casting. Before I found this out I was about to join a angry mob demanding there should be no white people cast in the movie.

The Complete Page
http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q471/uzmarvel/76308287sk2.jpg

Let's be sure to save that in-case people get in an uproar about racial casting.

And it makes sense. "Naruto" took place in a fantasy world where even white people had Japanese names. When "The Last Airbender" as being made, I used that defense. Remember, it was before the movie actually came out, and having an entirely Asian cast wouldn't have saved it.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
I would rather see the Five Nights at Freddy's movie instead.

They are actually doing that? Hell, yes! Change the security guard to a woman and Mila Jovovich could play her. Wink

Seriously, guys. They're gonna gut it, and count on the brand as a license to print money. The only option is to develop a sense of humor and bloodshot benevolence for whatever the end result offers. Creative types here are going to try and reimagine the wheel, but simply put: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would love to be wrong, though. I really would.
Quetzaly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
I actually want to know if this will be done...

And for the characters I feel like I'm one of the few that actually want American actors, I mean, most Naruto's characters look american/not Japanese.

My dream cast will be something like this:
Naruto... American, Australian
Sasuke... Japanese, Korean
Sakura... American, British
Hinata... Japanese
Kakashi....?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6