• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tracking Board: Lionsgate is Working on Naruto Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Um, the Dragonball movie had loads of hilarious stuff too. Actually, I would say it was quite a bit funnier than Edge of Tomorrow.

Except Edge of Tomorrow did it on purpose.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Naruto is popular and all, but can you think of a property less suited to an American live action film?

One Piece.
Bleach
Dragon Ball
World Trigger (this one could actually work if done right)
Blue Exorcist
[insert any series with heavy usage of crazy powers]

mrsatan wrote:

Right? Why'd this guy act like Hollywood has only messed it up only once. Remember that awful live-action Gundam movie, G-Saviour? Yeah, no one does. That awful Blood the Last Vampire movie has also been forgotten.
The very best Hollywood adaptation of an anime is Speed Racer, and that ain't sayin' much.

Can we include bad game to movie adaptions, like Double Dragons (probably doesn't count), Mario Bros, and Street Fighter?

SaiyamanMS wrote:

I feel like a fictional setting like the Village Hidden in the Leaves could easily have a wide range of ethnic groups. (Having a whole ninja village of white people would be a travesty though.)

Well they did decide to make all of the cast in Attack on Titan Live Action Asian despite the only confirmed Asian character in the series being Mikasa. I do think they could get away with changing some of the characters up, ones like Ino/Naruto seems more American then Japanese/Asian.

Last edited by Ronin2081 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

Oh, and how the hell there still isn't any Fullmetal Alchemist live action movie in the works?! Rolling Eyes

Ah ha! You read my mind!!

Of all the popular anime/manga properties in the past 10-15 years, only with a live-action Fullmetal Alchemist film will no one worry about white washing (Col. Mustang is up in the air honestly), claims about ruining the source material (there are two canonical anime versions of the manga so having a third version wouldn't be so far fetched), the setting is already in an European-ish setting so no complaints about relocating from a specifically Japanese origin, Edward and Alphonse are child prodigies so if they place the series into high school for no damn reason then the writers can say they attend a military school and worked their way onto soldiers, and only a minimum amount of CGI is needed for alchemy special effects.

Also, unlike Battle Angel Altia, this seems more realistic to being produced. -___-
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:
Well they did decide to make all of the cast in Attack on Titan Live Action Asian despite the only confirmed Asian character in the series being Mikasa.

Well, the obvious reasoning behind that is that it's a Japanese film and Japan doesn't have a whole lot of ethnic diversity meaning that it would be impractical to hire a bunch of Germans. America on the other hand, is highly diverse and can easily cast actors from different backgrounds.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Naruto is popular and all, but can you think of a property less suited to an American live action film?

Higurashi. Can you imagine the reaction from parents' groups and media watchdogs to a live action movie of that series?

Anyway, I usually have very low expectations for any anime trying to translate itself to live action, just because these are cartoons, with cartoon bounciness and cartoon physics, and you just can't re-create that in live action. Other than putting CG characters in live-action environments, like the Garfield movies, but that's often even worse. Even the Japanese live-action adaptations tend to miss more often than they hit - for every Rurouni Kenshin that's actually done well it seems like there are two or three Silver Spoons and Nanas that just don't work, even if you think they should, and those are made by people you might reasonably expect to "get" anime, unlike your average Hollywood type.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Honestly Hollywood, drop these licenses unless you actually can get them released and do it justice (both of which seem unlikely). They could also go for more ethnically diverse titles like Cyborg 009 or Western set ones like Tiger and Bunny.
Rychy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful .... we'll get to enjoy laughing at the trailer.

Although I think Lionsgate is also working on the 'Power Rangers' movie and I'm praying that's at least decent.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Dis gon be gud!
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I hope they keep the characters Japanese though, this isnt quite like DBZ, Akira or Death Note where you can cheat and change the setting to New York.

Naruto Uzumaki has blonde hair and blue eyes. That's like, the total opposite of a Japanese person. (The cast definitely needs some Asians though, Sasuke is very Japanese looking.)

I feel like a fictional setting like the Village Hidden in the Leaves could easily have a wide range of ethnic groups. (Having a whole ninja village of white people would be a travesty though.)

I agree. The world everyone lives in is highly inspired by Japan and Asia as a whole, but I've never really interpreted most of the characters as being Asian themselves. Sasuke, Sai, Hinata, Shikamaru and some others, sure, but others like Naruto, Ino, Sakura, and so on not so much. Then you've got the other villages. Sand is very Middle Eastern, Cloud is a little like South Africa, Rain reminds me of South East Asia. Leaf feels like the most diverse of the villages, especially after the time jump. Just look at Team Guy: you've got the very Japanese Negi, the very Chinese TenTen, and Lee who I always figured for white even if his fighting style and clothes aren't.

I think people get hooked up on the Japanese names and just assume they'd have to look Japanese in real life. Based on the all Japanese cast of the stage play I think that's the wrong way of looking at it. A Hollywood movie would do well with some diversity. They can't screw it up as badly as the new Fantastic Four movie with black Johnny Storm and white Sue Storm...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Time to be the optimist here. Lionsgate did "The Hunger Games" justice, and some actually considered "Catching Fire" to be not only better than the first movie, but also better than the book it was based on.

People always seem to bring up "Dragonball Evolution" like as if it's the only example. We also had "Speed Racer" and "Edge of Tomorrow."
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Honestly Hollywood, drop these licenses unless you actually can get them released and do it justice (both of which seem unlikely). They could also go for more ethnically diverse titles like Cyborg 009 or Western set ones like Tiger and Bunny.

Why would they choose properties most people have never heard of or seen?

Emerje wrote:
A Hollywood movie would do well with some diversity. They can't screw it up as badly as the new Fantastic Four movie with black Johnny Storm and white Sue Storm...

Which is bad why?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Because of the potential appeal to a wide audience.
diefty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Before it came out nobody knew of Guardians of the Galaxy and now they print money.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:

Because of the potential appeal to a wide audience.

And the potential to make something casuals will ignore and fans will complain about because it doesn't do the source material justice. To say nothing of the "Hollywood doesn't make anything original crowd".
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

And the potential to make something casuals will ignore and fans will complain about because it doesn't do the source material justice. To say nothing of the "Hollywood doesn't make anything original crowd".

Or something that would appeal to casuals because of how the material is presented. Both Cyborg 009 and Tiger and Bunny could appeal to casuals rather easily in live action format.

Anime fans will always complain about something, so that point is moot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6