• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tracking Board: Lionsgate is Working on Naruto Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm already terrified. This should be interesting Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Finally we'll get Naruto Goes To Law School! Laughing

This is wild. Did they run out of American (male) comic book superheroes to adapt? Well, I suppose Avi Arad did, since he's not with Marvel anymore, but he could still option characters from, uh, Image Comics or something. Naruto is popular and all, but can you think of a property less suited to an American live action film?
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to it. I'm one of the, like, 7 people (maybe?) who liked Dragonball Evolution.
Prince Gotonoke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
Looking forward to it. I'm one of the, like, 7 people (maybe?) who liked Dragonball Evolution.
You're probably overestimating that number.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

I hope they keep the characters Japanese though, this isnt quite like DBZ.

So you too pushed Dragon Ball Evolution out of your thoughts.

I can't, it sounds too much like Fox's original idea of doing the Raditz/Namek movie as "An epic saga in the tradition of LOTR!"

Here, they wanted to cash in on What the Young People Were Watching On CN, and thought Naruto would grab all those kids just coming out of the last Hunger Games movie.

(Which would at least be a change of pace, as Lionsgate usually never makes any movies without Jason Statham in them.
Although if he's in this one, I might give it a look.)
Vennex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Another series to adapt in the worst way possible.I have absolutely no expectations of this being even remotely decent, but I'll still see it for a good laugh
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
With The Hunger Games now officially ending this year, the Divergent series is a pretty weak substitute, and Lionsgate is trying to get that big budget live action Power Rangers movie off the ground, it seems that Lionsgate really wants in on the epic Blockbuster game to compete with the big dogs and why not start with adapting one of the most popular anime/manga properties in recent decades like Naruto? I'm using that term loosely.

Anyways, unlike with other anime/manga properties where changing the settings won't affect the story that much, this series however, is strongly set in an all Japanese setting with all Japanese characters that changing it to something not Japanese would just make it not feel like Naruto at all and so, I believe that it should be left alone and for that alone, feels like a major challenge.

Lastly, with the Naruto manga officially over, Lionsgate can definitely milk this for all its worth and who knows, but maybe this will probably do even better than canon in some aspects.

One thing is for sure, mainstream audiences will soon forever know of Naruto and it will have its place among western pop culture like how Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon is known even amongst non-anime fans.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd rather see a Sailor Moon live action film...no, wait, no.

There are plenty of popular American YA novels left to adapt!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Yeah, but Edge had Tom Cruise dying constantly and it was hilarious.

Um, the Dragonball movie had loads of hilarious stuff too. Actually, I would say it was quite a bit funnier than Edge of Tomorrow.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Prince Gotonoke wrote:
Don't forget the two Guyver Movies or Fist of the North Star.

Right? Why'd this guy act like Hollywood has only messed it up only once. Remember that awful live-action Gundam movie, G-Saviour? Yeah, no one does. That awful Blood the Last Vampire movie has also been forgotten.
The very best Hollywood adaptation of an anime is Speed Racer, and that ain't sayin' much.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Well to be fair Naruto has blonde hair and blue eyes so he could be white...

Anyone else should still be asians though.

Oh, and how the hell there still isn't any Fullmetal Alchemist live action movie in the works?! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by kpk on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Prince Gotonoke wrote:

Right? Why'd this guy act like Hollywood has only messed it up only once. Remember that awful live-action Gundam movie, G-Saviour? Yeah, no one does. That awful Blood the Last Vampire movie has also been forgotten.
The very best Hollywood adaptation of an anime is Speed Racer, and that ain't sayin' much.

I bought that Blood movie and it was pretty interesting in some parts. One of the major things that ruined it was adding that useless, annoying ass white girl. She was only there for drama, being a damsel in distress, and so that the Asian lead could have less time to shine.

As for this Naruto movie: :I . If they keep it in the same setting and the characters relatively similar I just think of it as a copy of how cringe worthy The Last Airbender was/still is. I'm still offended by how bad that movie was Anime hyper
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The fail will be spectacular!
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I hope they keep the characters Japanese though, this isnt quite like DBZ, Akira or Death Note where you can cheat and change the setting to New York.

Naruto Uzumaki has blonde hair and blue eyes. That's like, the total opposite of a Japanese person. (The cast definitely needs some Asians though, Sasuke is very Japanese looking.)

I feel like a fictional setting like the Village Hidden in the Leaves could easily have a wide range of ethnic groups. (Having a whole ninja village of white people would be a travesty though.)
Prince Gotonoke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Prince Gotonoke wrote:

I had completely forgot about speed racer! I actually liked that one a lot. Though really that only succeeded in its own way because of who was directing. The wachowskis are one of a kind really. I think it also helps that speed racer was based upon an anime from the 60s that while is a classic, didn't have the emotional attachment that a series like naruto would have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6