• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: God Eater

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, I won't dispute that the visual style was "interesting," but as I said in my preview for Prison School, "interesting" does not automatically equate to "appealing."

Definitely. I liked Prison school's art too but the show isn't for me. As much as I loved the first ep I'm worried about how it will continue. If it starts dragging I'm gonna have to drop it even though I love all the crazy camera angles, slow-mo scenes and gorgeous art.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think I've fallen in love with this show, and it's just the first episode. The director worked on the 5th Kara no Kyoukai movie and his style or execution shows up here from there. the complaints about slow motion and fast forwarding show up in the 5th movie as well. I really liked it. The dynamic play with the camera keeps me engaged throughout the episode. The first episode of AoT plays out normal and builds up the suspense and thrill, it does well with building tension, the climax and then the falling tension for it's premiere when it first aired. I can't put my finger on it but back when I first saw the show, I only saw it once and that was it, didn't watch anymore after that. I did finish the show after a couple more episodes came out and did enjoy it. But with this I just keep coming back and watching it. Lenka is, in my opinion, better developed than Eren in the beginning. He does fill tropes and some cliché of wanting some sort of vengeance against the aragami like Eren does with the titans. However, going back and rewatching it many times I've caught certain scenes where Lenka is above Eren in certain areas.

Eren's motivation and desire comes purely from vengeance and raw emotion like anger and hatred. Whenever he transforms, he goes on a rampage and loses control or regains it at the last minute. Lenka's motivation does stem with some sort of revenge against the Aragami but during the first half scenes and actions begin to differ already from that trope. Like the first scene would be getting along with Kota and cooperating with him during training. The next scene is when they haul that injured guy into the emergency room. Lenka watched that go down and listened to others nearby remark how if only help had gotten there sooner. This transitions to Lenka wanting to train again and be able to go out in the field faster. It could be just correlation here but I see it as cause and effect directly. I'm really loving this.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the Attack on Titan anime, it reminded me of God Eater (the game).

The overused slow motion reminded me of the opening animation of the game. It was great for what was basically a music video, but I hope they tone it down in future episodes.

Ufotable did the animated cut scenes in the game as well. So I'm hoping they put their best effort into this.

It was strange seeing Kota in a uniform.

I was surprised a remix of the awesome opening music from the game wasn't used.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I usually try watching at least 3 episodes of an anime before deciding to keep watching or drop it, but I'm going to have to drop God Eater at episode 2. The switches between smooth to jerky frame rate and slow motion is actually making me feel really ill. I'm sensitive to flashing lights and jerky frame rate has similar negative effects on me, too.

If there wasn't so much of it I may be able to tolerate it but even then this show isn't good enough for me to endure the pain. I started watching this show just for the art and animation but, while it certainly delivers on that end, visuals alone can't keep my interest forever. I may pick up this series up again if the story and characters get better and there's less special effects used.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Who's Licca? I think you meant Lindow. Also, chldren shows are actually a rather high standard, in my opinion. I find myself enjoying anime for children more than I do "normal anime"
Examples;
-Gundam Build Fighters (Shame that Try was so dissapointing, but the first season was great)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V
The characters in both shows are great and honestly better than most characters of shows for teenagers and adults.
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Anime clearly has a script writing problem where it just can't keep up with the advancement of visual techniques and CGI/Traditionally animated integration. I mean yes this is a video game adaptation of a game that is largely based around a mission structure and pretty limited character interaction but there's an opportunity for the anime to expand on that that it's just not doing.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Err...

Isn't it Lindow? Lindow Amamiya? The same as Major Amamiya? With two Ms?
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
"Camera? Camera! Why am I looking at her boobs again? It was nice the first time, but now you're just being obnoxious. This is a serious moment. Camera, are you listening to me? Point to her face, dammit!"

Evil or Very Mad
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Captain Levi—I mean, Licca

Wink i think you mean Lindow, Licca's the mechanic girl

Quote:
Alisa's on a plane to Russia

um i thought she was coming from Russia to their branch to help out?
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I for one am liking this show so far. The visuals are beautiful, the direction is fantastic for the most part and the soundtrack is excellent; a good soundtrack can go a long ways towards furthering my enjoyment of a show. The main character already has a way more likeable personality than Eren did. More development is definitely needed for him and the rest of the cast, but it's alright for now. Yeah, I don't think the story will ever be particularly deep, but I also don't think I'm alone in saying I never expected a particularly deep story. I came here for a well-animated, straightforward action show. That's what I'm getting, and I'm content with that.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The camera angles for any shots including female characters just keep getting more hilarious. Without the dialogue, one might think the show was about a man bravely bushwhacking his way through a dense forest of breasts.

As much as I love the art style and sound/music direction, the fight choreography has left something to be desired so far. I keep finding myself bored in combat. It doesn't help that they keep doing mid-fight drama in a show that does not handle drama well. It could stand to be more like a video game: less talk, more kill.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Not to be a pedant, but I would like to make some corrections to the review of the second episode.

First, the character's name is Lindow (or Rindou if you want to be real pedantic) Amamiya not Licca Anamiya. That is in fact the title of the episode, per ANN's own encyclopedia, among others. Likewise his sister is Major Amamiya, though the last name was probably a typo.

Second, IIRC New Type refers to the weapons Lenka and Alisa use and not themselves, though they are the only ones introduced that can wield them, which makes them special.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
On a technical level, this second episode is a little tiny bit better than the past one, the sounds are more believable and the impact of the scene is better delivered, but my god, the action scenes are even worse. The only good ones were the ones where Lenka and the other woman shooted the hell out of some Aragamis, but after that it's just plain camera angles purposefuly placed to distract you with astounding CGI whereas the movement and actual fighting is zero. Also Lenka's voice is boring as hell.

I don't even understand why the fighting scenes are so lackluster, in the opening they look really awesome. I can only hope that this style doesn't go forgotten because it really is great, but apparently it doesn't fit well with raw action scenes, in a slice of life, or a mystery anime, God Eater's artstyle would stand out a lot, lot more.

Script and plot-wise, I can't help but agree with the review, even though I literally am not here for the plot or the characterization (to be honest, only the flashbacks are the interesting part), like, the premise, the ridiculous designs for a militar setting, and the stupidly over-sized weapons, I can't come to watch this and ask for a really good plot when all I wanted was incredible art and kickass fighting...at least I got one of the two.

Also, to add to the clear concentration of camera on cleveage, the breasts are apparently made out of steel, I remember seeing the Russian girl in a magazine in a revealing pose and it seems like those things reflect light like a goddamn mirror, and in her short appearence in the anime, they do look like that too.

I know the balls of steel thing was too male-oriented but I don't know if that's the right response...
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Is a weapon that can change between a sword and a gun really so important that everyone speaks about it in hushed tones? I mean, I can understand it improving battlefield flexibility, but it doesn't seem like a game-changer to me. And why can only two people on the whole planet use the transforming version?

The god arcs are clearly built in a normal workshop by a human engineer (and a rather cute one at that), so shouldn't they be a dime-a-dozen? Shouldn't every frontline god eater get a newtype god arc? Heck, shouldn't every frontline soldier get one of these? The god arcs are just mindless tools after all, so it makes no sense that it takes a special bracelet to use them.

Actually, what is the real deal with the god arcs anyway? They are said to be the only weapons that are effective against the monsters, yet all they do is slice in sword mode and act like small artillery guns in gun mode. The humans still have their technological might and a respectable industrial base, so why can't tanks and helicopter gunships fight the monsters? Why were the missiles from the fighter jets completely ineffective, but the piddly guns that god eaters wield can easily one-shot the monsters? It makes no sense and we haven't been given any explanation why.

It's not that hard to provide a in-universe justification for why something is as it is. In the Gundam franchise the durability of gundams is always explained by a new form of armour designed in space, that can withstand enormous punishment by conventional weapons but is easily destroyed by the newfangled beam weapons. In Neon Genesis Evangelion the evas were the only things that could kill an angel, because under normal conditions, the only thing that can nullify an AT field is another AT field, which evas have but tanks and planes lack.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
artstyle was never a problem for me with anime

didn't like God Eater on the psp

but enjoying the anime so far.. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12