• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 of Anime's Friendliest Ghosts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^ Don't forget Mio Akiyama from K-On!

Mio being left-handed is a recurring plot point.

She's not badass. If I list all left-handed characters, the almost entire Lucky Star cast would be here.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
^ I think Mio's plenty badass. You can't spell "badass" without "bass", after all.

Okay, you gotta insert an A and a D within the "bass" to get "badass" but you get my point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tobeast777

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Where is Nanana from Nanana's Buried treasure?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I am surprised, but in a good way, to see Menma on the list. Even more happy to see she made #1. Anohana was a random shot in the dark series for me that turned into one of my favorite drama series of all time.

i'm more surprised that she's even on this list altogether and mavis isnt #1. not to mention that gengar that helped satoshi during season 1. the talking gastly , yea but not gengar. instead of menma i would definitely put white from blood blockade battlefront. but of course number 7 on this list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
As far as lefties go, there's Yoshimori from Kekkaishi. He was trained to cast right-handed spells, not realizing he wasn't fighting to his full potential. So he started training himself with inverted versions of those spells so he'd use his left hand, and his aim and precision drastically improved.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
An honorable mention for friendly ghosts for me would be Okinu from Ghost Sweeper Mikami, who winds up working for the main character of the series.

Okinu, another fine example of a leading friendly ghost character. Gengar is less a ghost and more a spirit and that's even if you take a concept serious as a character... unless you can point to which pokemon died and came back.

I bet you won't have a ghost of a chance! Wait, wrong anime franchise. Wait, wasn't Atum a ghost as well? Or Yami or Dan Green's epic voice?

From the main list, I've seen and agree with 1, 3 and 5. But I don't know about the rest because there are more shows out there with the ghost character integral to the plot, while still remaining friendly.

And I finally remembered the main series I forgot; spoiler[Yuko] from Ef: a Tale of the Two who wants to match you up with people. I suppose you could also include Air, Clannad and Kanon as well though those three try to explain their ghosts away as "physical projections of the almost dead". Maybe Air went the full ghost route though "who is the ghost" is the real question. It wouldn't surprise me if half the cast were dead all along as it would make a bit more sense when one of them possessed the crow... by using time travel after dying.

Yeah, that happened. Doesn't make any more sense now then when I first saw it.

Shigofumi with a ghost so friendly, she makes deliveries from the dead letter office. This could go on for days... again.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Gengar is less a ghost and more a spirit and that's even if you take a concept serious as a character... unless you can point to which pokemon died and came back.

It's true Gengar are Ghost type rather then being actual ghosts, but some Ghost Pokémon are ghosts - Yamask (and thus Cofagrigus), for instance, are dead humans that retain memories of their former lives, carry their funeral masks around with them, and sometimes look at the masks and cry as they remember what they've lost.

In any case, surprised Haunter wasn't on the list instead of Gengar, since Haunter is the one that actually accompanies Ash and helps him against Sabrina.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Would all the Angel Beats characters qualify as ghosts? 'cause I'd think TK would belong on the list.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Once I saw the List's subject, I thought "And of course, Memna is number one."

I thought Hachikuji would be number one. Then I was reminded that Menma is a main character. Razz

Showsni wrote:
In any case, surprised Haunter wasn't on the list instead of Gengar

I thought the same thing. Haunter also seems so happy compared to the others. "Haunt, haunt, haunt, haunt, haunt!" Laughing

sirdano1 wrote:
That poll would be so much better if it was just "who is your favourite Love Live idol?"

Quote:

Who is your Love Live waifu?

Thank you for your participation

Yeah... makes me feel like I just got added onto some kinda government watch list. Shocked
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why the writer called Mayoi's personality obnoxious. She's easily the funniest character in the series. Also kind of a spoiler to have her on the list, since it's not clear at the start of her story arc that she's actually dead.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
Ghostly, remember this:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-07/live-action-recently-my-sister-is-unusual-film-trailer-posted

leafy sea dragon wrote:

As far as lefties go, there's Yoshimori from Kekkaishi. He was trained to cast right-handed spells, not realizing he wasn't fighting to his full potential. So he started training himself with inverted versions of those spells so he'd use his left hand, and his aim and precision drastically improved.

Boo lefties!

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4