• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DeNA, ACJ to Stream Anime on MyAnimeList Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Does MAL already have Crunchyroll and Hulu embeds, like anime-planet does, or is this a new thing for them?

Did ANN even cover it when Anime-Planet announced their partnerships with Crunchyroll, Hulu, Youtube and Viki to stream their anime content? This is strange.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:21 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
This probably explains why all the fansub group pages have disappeared...

Don't worry, we still got plenty of them.
sarroush

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Not sure what you mean, I'm seeing MAL's "Fansub Group Information" pages right now just fine. At first I thought that me being in Japan had something to do with it, but I checked through a US-based location on Chrome's ZenMate, and they're visible there as well.

If you have an account, the fansub groups will appear. However, if you aren't signed in, they aren't there.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Does MAL already have Crunchyroll and Hulu embeds, like anime-planet does, or is this a new thing for them?

Did ANN even cover it when Anime-Planet announced their partnerships with Crunchyroll, Hulu, Youtube and Viki to stream their anime content? This is strange.

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. Anime-Planet partnered with Crunchyroll and Hulu over a year ago to stream anime directly on their site.

I guess it's different in this case for MAL since the anime streaming was an exclusive to Daisuki at one point. But still, it seems to me like MAL is following in the footsteps of A-P. I'm sure there are several things I'm overlooking, though. MAL seems to be more well-known and used by the fandom community, for one thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
synaia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
invalidname wrote:

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. Anime-Planet partnered with Crunchyroll and Hulu over a year ago to stream anime directly on their site.

I guess it's different in this case for MAL since the anime streaming was an exclusive to Daisuki at one point. But still, it seems to me like MAL is following in the footsteps of A-P. I'm sure there are several things I'm overlooking, though.

Could it be because MAL is officially is owned by the Japanese company DeNA U.S branch since the beginning of this year?
http://dena.com/intl/press/2015/07/dena-and-anime-consortium-japan-to-stream-anime-through-myanimelist.html
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
If I was in charge of Daisuki, I'd be pissed at whoever it was, above them at ACJ, that approved this.

I thought GOD EATER was supposed the big exclusive that gave them a breakthrough. I guess not anymore.

Given the streams will be Daisuki embeds, I struggle to see how it's not exclusive. Crunchyroll's stuff is embedded on a bunch of sites. I guess they have no exclusives?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:

there isn't much of a need for them now that pretty much anything is being simulcast

I'd disagree to an insane degree. Maybe not for 'modern' shows but there's still plenty of shows that will never see the light of day in official R1 releases unless a company like Discotek pulls off some incredible magic.

We still have a couple of unsubbed Brave shows, like Goldran, Dagwon, Might Gaine and the majority of Exkaiser. Things like GoShogun haven't reached proper subs either, aside from their films.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Given the streams will be Daisuki embeds, I struggle to see how it's not exclusive. Crunchyroll's stuff is embedded on a bunch of sites. I guess they have no exclusives?

The actual press release says embedded video, it doesn't say from Daisuki. Whilst it likely will come from Daisuki, we don't know for certain.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
That's a big move, especially considering that MAL is basically a fan-maintained wiki.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

there isn't much of a need for them now that pretty much anything is being simulcast

As people said if you are logged in you can still seem them. And while it isn't that useful for English fansubs anymore the fansub section covers a number of other languages also. Places where the fansub scene are still going strong.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
sarroush wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Not sure what you mean, I'm seeing MAL's "Fansub Group Information" pages right now just fine. At first I thought that me being in Japan had something to do with it, but I checked through a US-based location on Chrome's ZenMate, and they're visible there as well.

If you have an account, the fansub groups will appear. However, if you aren't signed in, they aren't there.

Oh, you're right, vonPeterhof. They section was moved to the bottom of the pages. I don't think they were there at first after the site update, though. They're still inaccessible from the search function and menus.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:

Some things seem to get coverage, others don't.

As another example, ANN covered Funimation's release of their Xbox One app, but didn't say a peep about The Anime Network's Roku app, even after I sent them an e-mail with a link to TAN's press release.

Buzz201 wrote:

The actual press release says embedded video, it doesn't say from Daisuki. Whilst it likely will come from Daisuki, we don't know for certain.

Given that ACJ controls Daisuki, do you really think they are going to create an entirely separate video infrastructure to provide the video embeds to MAL?
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Given that ACJ controls Daisuki, do you really think they are going to create an entirely separate video infrastructure to provide the video embeds to MAL?

The press release is ambiguous, it doesn't say who's providing the infrastructure, only that ACJ are sharing content with them.

This is really irrelevant as my original point was that I thought the whole idea of having GOD EATER exclusively was to tempt more people to come to Daisuki. If it's available anywhere else, even if it's just an embed of Daisuki's player, it won't have as much pull to their site.
pcj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
This is really irrelevant as my original point was that I thought the whole idea of having GOD EATER exclusively was to tempt more people to come to Daisuki. If it's available anywhere else, even if it's just an embed of Daisuki's player, it won't have as much pull to their site.

Maybe they've figured out that it's easier to partner with the existing sites than it is to fix the brokenness in their own player.
Docoda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

The press release is ambiguous, it doesn't say who's providing the infrastructure, only that ACJ are sharing content with them.

I don't really see the problem. Daisuki doesn't exist to make a lot of money for the ACJ at all (You still don't seem to realize that Daisuki is the anime streaming website of the ACJ). Also read up on what the ACJ is. They are producers of the GOD EATER and Im@s CG anime as well to add to that.

GOD EATER will still be exclusive to ACJ/Daisuki. In a sort of way. If you talk about MAL streaming now, you practically say "Daisuki/ACJ streaming". It's like the company Crunchyroll would have multiple domains to stream anime from. With all those domains' websites to have embedded Crunchyroll streams. Result: most likely more hits and viewers, but it's all still Crunchyroll. That's how it will work for MAL/ACJ now. They have Daisuki, the main streaming website. But they get way more views, and since it is a partnership: publicity, because of their embed and whatever promotions on MAL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3