• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Irregular at Magic High School Sub.Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
roxybudgy wrote:
EighteenSky wrote:
Quote:
and the filmy overdress the girls wear over their uniforms is a beautiful touch, even if the three (four?) different designs are never explained.

Read most of the volumes and don't recall it ever being mentioned what it's purpose is for but I like it, a lot. Actually the whole uniform is stylish, one of the best I've seen in a series.

If this is referring to the different colours on the dresses, isn't this standard in Japanese school uniforms? I may be wrong as I don't remember what year group each character is in.

Not just different colours, but different patterns on that transparent part. The novel never mentions them (I was unaware that part even had patterns until I saw the anime designs) but it seems to just be personal preference. There's probably a selection of designs for students to choose from and it has nothing to do with year. Miyuki and Shizuku wear the same design, and Honoka, Sayaka, and Mayumi wear the same design.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I'm honestly stunned that I even have to point it out. It seems pretty blatant to me.

First off, let me preface this by saying that there's quite a bit of of racism towards Chinese people going on in Japan. I can't say for sure how widespread it is given that I haven't lived in Japan my entire life, but it's pretty well documented that there's some tension between the two countries. To be honest though, I don't see this attitude represented in anime all that often. Anime has no shortage of well written characters with Chinese heritage.

That's where Mahouka comes in.

Won't go into too much detail as people like T.Silver and SilverTalon01 have basically refuted the points you made much better than I could but your reasoning for this series supposedly being racist makes little sense. Yes there is tension betwen the two countries, doubt it will go away any time soon but claim the author is racist because one organisation has some characters who may be Chinese and are villainous is ludicrous. Someone has to be the villain. If that is the extent of your claims then I'm not sure what to say.
Shaone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
Wow, look at all the hate. Mahouka has the same challenges as Harry Potter trying to invoke political storylines while constrained to school property. The later arcs move away from this concept but the anime only has the arcs on the campus.
LordU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
"I found Tatsuya to be the complete subversion of a Gary Stu as a character. Being the perfect killer machine, the perfect student, loved and admired by everybody in his school... while at the same time is have no strong feelings (because he was operated) whatsoever

Just because he has a reason for why he's a Gary Stu doesn't make him not a Gary Stu anymore. He has no strong feelings, but we never see how that inhibits him in any way. In fact, it's probably helped in a lot of different situations. Maybe if they were to show this in the anime as a thing that negatively affects him, I could see it as a character flaw. But we don't see it.
danpmss wrote:
(besides those about her sister, and he is ridiculously unstable with them, doing nearly psychopath actions for some things that "could have" happened to her)

My memory isn't the best, but could you please explain these "psychopathic actions" for the things that could've happened to Miyuki? I don't remember his actions being any more than a bit overprotective at times.
danpmss wrote:
everyone wants to control him (they already do, in a sense) and if not, everyone (even those who want to use him, but at a certain point can't) wants him dead.

That's not a character flaw. Having enemies and allies that want to control someone like Tatsuya is not uncommon, and it doesn't make Tatsuya a subversion of a Gary Stu. It seems to me that Tatsuya was able to handle each situation he was in with near perfection.

But yeah, I've only watched the anime so I can't judge how he is in the LNs. My issues with him in the anime might not even exist in the source material for all I know. It probably would help getting to know Tatsuya's inner monologue.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Wow, I now feel dumb about complaining about this show's use of "my martial arts beats your magic". This somehow being a surprise to all those elite mages in the series who have sanctioned duels and only our main character has the sense to hit them... with his fist.. in a magic duel.... and this is a new idea, even if those monks were training on the school grounds. "When casting spells, he can always beat me. Maybe if I punch him in the face, I might just win." Clearly, these people have never played CRPGs.

This series was so stupid, it hurt me. And I'm not even getting my own sore points of how the terms "weeds" and "blooms" were used or the fact that his unique gun artifact was able to literally fire magic like a bullet while others had ones that were shaped like melee weapons and had to wielded as such to be used and this is all fair and equal somehow. Whatever happened to just everyone casting fireball and the better magic user won? With or without wands, I don't care.

And that "flash step", that was the point where I dropped the series. That's magic as martial arts and it never came up in a duel before? I never even made it to the point where I could complain about the plot, its basic logic about its magic system alone killed me.

I think you have lost credibility to judge a show when you judged How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend without even watching the episodes. Clearly, from what you have written, I don't even believe that you have even watched the show carefully at all. Or did you just do what you did like with How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend in which you skip episodes and try to make sense out of it?

But whatever, this forum has been pretty entertainment to sit with some popcorn thus far :3.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
LordU wrote:
My memory isn't the best, but could you please explain these "psychopathic actions" for the things that could've happened to Miyuki? I don't remember his actions being any more than a bit overprotective at times.

He was ready to kill that one guy for trying to sabotage Miyuki's CAD before Kudou stopped him. He then proceeds to mercilessly kill those pulling the strings solely because they threatened his sister.
LordU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

He was ready to kill that one guy for trying to sabotage Miyuki's CAD before Kudou stopped him. He then proceeds to mercilessly kill those pulling the strings solely because they threatened his sister.

Well, he killed those guys for sabotaging the competition and endangering people's lives too, not just because of Miyuki. Though he only truly got angry when Miyuki got involved.
smd111

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
1. Reguarding racism
A. Blanch/No Head Dragon are criminal organizations that
exist all over the world with all peoples involved (explained
in the LN).
B. Three years prior to the anime(but only explained in the LN)
the GAA (Great Asian Allience) attacked Japan at Okinawa
killing many people and when thay left thay never set a
end to hostilities, thus for three year Japan and the GAA
have been at war but not fighting.

2. Reguarding discrimination
A. Saegusa Mayumi
a. Never claims that it does not happen but rather tells
ware it happens i.e. the Student Council, etc.
b. Blooms/Weeds
She hates that somthing outlawed by the school is still
in use (how ever she does not want to tell people have
the two corses got started because then Miyuki will
probly get vary angry but she does tell Azusa about it
in the LN during the Nine Schools Competition Arc).
c. She does fix the Student Council between the Nine
Schools Competition Arc and the Yokohama Disturbance
Arc in the Summer Holiday Arc that the anime does not
show.
B. Hattori Gyoubushoujo Hanzou
Does admit his falts when treating coarse 2 students
differently several times(tho no reasning is given).
C. Morisaki Shun
Figures out what the coarse 2 students go through when
he treats them as second class (Durring the Summer
Holiday Arc) and amends his ways.
D. Mitsui Honoka
The fact that her spell's target in the first arc was targeting
Tatsuya's group not Morisaki's but the anime made you
think it was Morisaki's group that was targeted
--The reason behind this is she could not fathom how
Tatsuya was a coarse 2 student even tho he could
weave such magnificent spells but still be a coarse 2
student

3. The conversion from LN to Anime
A. In the anime thay only touch on things that should have
been spelled out fully.
a. Tatsuya and Miyuki's relationship.
b. Why the school has a two coarse system.
C. The fact that the target of Mitsui Honoka's spell in the
first Arc was Tatsuya's group not Morisaki's.
B. Why Tatsuya is the way that he is.
Because his strong eomtions were removed by his
mother during an exparament to give him a way to cast
other magic then what he was born with (explained in
the Reminiscence Arc)
C. Why Miyuki acts the way she does to Tatsuya.
Because as far as she was conserned se died during the
attack on Okinawa by the GAA and was reborn thanks to
Tatsuya (this was spelled out in the Summer Holiday and
the Reminiscence Arc's)
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I have watched the entire series. it starts slow the main is too perfect. and the sister is a touch off the norm. the overall story line is not that bad as long as you are willing to set aside any desire for a plausible story that has any real value. they do a good job of setting up "future" events and they add enough conflict in the family to give you a place to start from.

at the current price its a touch too much but, once it comes down to a more realistic value i will add this one to my collection.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say I'm with Rockweaver on this. I'd heard a lot about the LNs, read some, and it seems like the main character and his sister are far more developed in that than the anime. It looked like they were just starting to get into that as the series ended, so I was left disappointed by that.

I still enjoyed it, because the main character's flaws from the LN were in my mind while I watched it. Still, that doesn't help the new viewer who has no idea about that.

Overall I just enjoyed watching Tatsuya kick butt. He's cute and powerful, and that's the start of a good show for me. ;D

As far as the racism charges go, I think people who say that haven't watched the anime. The anime basically got rid of everything that was racist in the LNs (or just didn't get to it) and in fact made a theme of the show anti-discrimination. I think the director had a very different point of view from the author.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
smd111 wrote:
B. Three years prior to the anime(but only explained in the LN) the GAA (Great Asian Allience) attacked Japan at Okinawa killing many people and when thay left thay never set a end to hostilities, thus for three year Japan and the GAA have been at war but not fighting.

The anime actually does mention Okinawa and the invasion by the GAA three years prior. The very first scene after they explain the world war and how magic was involved is of Tatsuya blowing up a convoy of ships at Okinawa. Ichijo was said to have gone to fight against another part of the GAA's invasion when they explain why he is known as the crimson prince. I'm pretty sure in the last arc they also reference the GAA's invasion three years prior.

But seriously, people just need to look at a map. The places that could realistically invade fast enough that Japan couldn't prepare before they got there are extremely limited. It is basically China, Korea, and Russia. China and Korea are a single power block in this. The parts of Russia and Japan that are closest are the least populous areas which means it makes far more sense for the GAA to care enough to do something.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Love this anime, then again i love OP main characters so that's probably why.

spoiler[And the beginning episodes don't even remotely show how OP he is.]
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered vol.1 Wink
smd111

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
The anime actually does mention Okinawa and the invasion by the GAA three years prior. The very first scene after they explain the world war and how magic was involved is of Tatsuya blowing up a convoy of ships at Okinawa. Ichijo was said to have gone to fight against another part of the GAA's invasion when they explain why he is known as the crimson prince. I'm pretty sure in the last arc they also reference the GAA's invasion three years prior.

this i know but thay never tell when, where or if its resolved to any degree except for the 30 second snip-it till the Yokohama Disturbance Arc but never explains more then that

hell the anime never explains the the worlds temperature has dropped and thats why most clothing is designed to cover most of the body or the fact that even tho the temp has recovered some that most people still ware clothing and sun block to cover there skin because the sun is more damaging then it was previously in there timeline

and on the fact that thay show Tatsuya as a child along with Miyuki but never explain anything about it except it just leads to misinformation in the minds of the viewers
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
smd111 wrote:
this i know but thay never tell when, where or if its resolved to any degree except for the 30 second snip-it till the Yokohama Disturbance Arc but never explains more then that

Actually they do tell you where and when. It shows a date when Tatsuya blows up the enemy fleet and tells you its at Okinawa. It also shows the date again when it switches to the high school. So you can clearly see it is 3 years difference. If that gigantic explosion that Tatsuya caused blowing up the enemy ships wasn't clear enough that it was resolved, they they later bring up the invasion 3 years ago and mention pushing the GAA back. Are you just not satisfied unless we get a narrator to read it off? Personally, I thought they did a great job covering it without having to have some one give you a giant info dump... which was great since the series was already overloaded with those.

smd111 wrote:
and on the fact that thay show Tatsuya as a child along with Miyuki but never explain anything about it except it just leads to misinformation in the minds of the viewers

Which scene exactly are you talking about and what exactly leads to misinformation? I honestly can't remember any scene that fits, but I certainly could have forgotten it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8