• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Irregular at Magic High School Sub.Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
"It's popular, therefore it is good" Is such a lazy argument that I can't take people who use it seriously.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I dropped the show pretty quick, so I honestly can't comment on its overall quality. However, I'm thankful that Mahouka existed for the reviews on an anime blog called The Cart Driver. They're pretty amusing. Also the shows seems really bad.

His final review: http://thecartdriver.com/mahouka-is-terrible-on-every-level-a-final-review/
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Okay, two questions:

-What is this xenophobia that people keep talking about with the show. I've seen Zac and Hope talk about it, I've seen people claim it exists but I have seen no real reasoning other than extreme Japanese right wing politics which suggests to me overglorifcation of the military and neglect of past war crimes. What exactly has Mahouka done to ellict this response?

-If I am a fan of Toaru Majutsu no Index, does this show have a chance of entertaining me?
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Very lenient review... But well, to each to their own.
I actually thought this show deserves nothing but a C+ and I am already being generous... Cool
Yuki Imouto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
This show was first ok then it turned awful. It's worse than SAO. Why? The main character is a big Gary Stu and it's boring as hell too. No wonder this show Didn't deserve a dub.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
-What is this xenophobia that people keep talking about with the show. I've seen Zac and Hope talk about it, I've seen people claim it exists but I have seen no real reasoning other than extreme Japanese right wing politics which suggests to me overglorifcation of the military and neglect of past war crimes. What exactly has Mahouka done to ellict this response?

Nothing really. Some people just have an axe to grind and are willing to use anything as a grindstone. I really don't think a lot of people know what that word even means and use it anyway. I've watched the whole series and read most of the LNs, and there are plenty of things wrong with Mahouka. Being xenophobic isn't in that list at all.

Izanagi009 wrote:
-If I am a fan of Toaru Majutsu no Index, does this show have a chance of entertaining me?

If you're asking if having liked Index increases the probability that you will like this, then I'd have to go with no. I mean I guess being a fan of index means there is a good chance you're a fan of the whole magic thing which is a start. However, Index handles everything quite differently regardless of if we're just comparing anime adaptions or talking about the books. Most of the legitimate complaints against Mahouka don't apply to Index.

Personally I enjoy both, but I'd rate Index significantly higher.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
It is a bit unfortunate Mahouka came out after SAO. So far as the west goes, at least, SAO made people hyper vigilant in regards to "Gary Stus" which resulted in a severly negative knee jerk reaction to any character percieved as such. They don't consider what the author is trying to say.

Tatsuya isn't a "Gary Stu" simply for the sake of being one. spoiler[He's meant to show the price of power. His talents don't just bring him praise and women, they also bring him restrictions and pain and all sorts of unpleasent things. There's no shortage of people who want to use him for their own ends and the more his friends learn about him, the more they start to fear him. He's meant to show that being a "Gary Stu" would actually be pretty shitty.]
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
RaylenCypher wrote:

If Mahouka was trash written and horrible then why the hell does the series have so many volumes out and is popular? If it was just as disgusting as you stated then it wouldn't have continued and probably would have ended waaay sooner much less get an adaption for it.

I haven't seen Mahouka, but considering the huge amount of young male otaku that are right wing nationalists, it appealing to that demographic could be one of the reasons it IS popular.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Still trying to figure out how this series is supposedly racist and cannot find anything to support your claim, my bet is neither can you. The author as well, I assume you have spoken to him and he told you he is racist, no?
I'm honestly stunned that I even have to point it out. It seems pretty blatant to me.

First off, let me preface this by saying that there's quite a bit of of racism towards Chinese people going on in Japan. I can't say for sure how widespread it is given that I haven't lived in Japan my entire life, but it's pretty well documented that there's some tension between the two countries. To be honest though, I don't see this attitude represented in anime all that often. Anime has no shortage of well written characters with Chinese heritage.

That's where Mahouka comes in.
Quote:
One of the main enemies of the story is the Chinese and let's just say that they don't play fair. Actually, that's kind of an understatement. They're evil. Comically so. They staged a violent protest at a Japanese High School, they attempt to sabotage the Nine Schools Competition, they constantly target innocent Japanese High School kids for little to no reason, I could go on forever if I wanted to. And you want to know what happens with those Chinese people? They get their ass kicked by Tatsuya of course. Nippon Pride!

Vaisaga wrote:
It is a bit unfortunate Mahouka came out after SAO. So far as the west goes, at least, SAO made people hyper vigilant in regards to "Gary Stus" which resulted in a severly negative knee jerk reaction to any character percieved as such. They don't consider what the author is trying to say.
I've considered what the author is trying to say and I highly disagree with it.

If you ask me, SAO doesn't really deserve a lot of the hate it gets. So when people were making fun of Mahouka before it began airing, I dismissed them thinking it was just those same people trying to spite the popularity of the next big hit. In fact, I actually expected a lot of good things out of the show. It's a decision I regret now but I gave the show a chance. Of course, that didn't work out.

People call Kirito a 'Gary Stu' quite a bit but before I saw Tatsuya in action I didn't even know what that term meant. Kirito might be very strong but he does show weakness. On top of that, he doesn't always think rationally and sometimes lets his emotions get the better of him. He does have a lot of admirers, but for the most part it's a result of his actions causing them to gradually warm up to him. Tatsuya on the other hand? Completely emotionless, infinitely powerful, always the smartest and most rational guy in the room at any given time, loved and adored by everyone who isn't a bad guy for little to no reason and never shows even the slightest hint of weakness.

Of course, the system that discriminates against this perfect specimen of a human being has to be flawed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Is that really the cover art they're going with for the volume? Miyuki's right eye looks like it's about to fall off her face.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
So Mahouka is racist, because the "Chinese" are made out to be Villains? lol that's pretty funny. First off the Great Asian Alliance is made up of dozens of Asian countries and China just happens to be one of them, so its not like the author is just singling them out. Also the USA or USNA in Mahouka(the countries of USA, Mexico, and Canada combined) become antagonists for a couple of volumes as well, so does that make Mahouka racist towards Americans, who happen to be one of Japan greatest allies and friends in the real world? Also Japan isn't made out to be perfect, there's government corruption, anti-magician parties, and the unethical and immoral experiments the 10 master clans use to create more powerful magicians.

If there is any racism in Mahouka, its towards the Magicians. Not a single country or nationality.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I'm honestly stunned that I even have to point it out. It seems pretty blatant to me.

Yeah, I guess so if you're getting your information wrong.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
First off, let me preface this by saying that there's quite a bit of of racism towards Chinese people going on in Japan. I can't say for sure how widespread it is given that I haven't lived in Japan my entire life, but it's pretty well documented that there's some tension between the two countries. To be honest though, I don't see this attitude represented in anime all that often. Anime has no shortage of well written characters with Chinese heritage.

This is relevant how? Yes, foreigners get discriminated against in Japan. That includes whites and non-Japanese Asians btw so it isn't like its just Chinese. But what does that matter? The US has plenty of incidents of racism against blacks, but does that make it racist every time a black person plays a bad guy? That might be the case some of the time, but you're making a ridiculous jump.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
That's where Mahouka comes in.
Quote:
One of the main enemies of the story is the Chinese and let's just say that they don't play fair. Actually, that's kind of an understatement. They're evil. Comically so. They staged a violent protest at a Japanese High School, they attempt to sabotage the Nine Schools Competition, they constantly target innocent Japanese High School kids for little to no reason, I could go on forever if I wanted to. And you want to know what happens with those Chinese people? They get their ass kicked by Tatsuya of course. Nippon Pride!

So here is where you actually talk about the series and you didn't even get your information straight. Why is it that everyone in this thread that has made an outlandish claim points to something in the series and didn't get it right?

Blanche isn't Chinese. Its a world wide organization, and I'm pretty sure it started in the USNA, but it is specifically stated to have very strong presence there. Oh and ALL of the members we see in that arc are Japanese.

The people in the nine schools competition are essentially Mahouka's version of the Triad, which is probably the most famous mafia in Asia. If you had a group that highly resembled the italian mafia, does that make you racist too?

The last arc with the Great Asian Alliance isn't just China. It is basically everything but Japan. If you're an author and you needed a logical choice to pick for a place that might invade Japan, you'd probably go with something nearby. It doesn't really sound as believable if you were to say the USNA somehow formed a gigantic fleet all the way in Hawaii and Japan can't organize its fleet by the time it gets there?

As for them getting their ass kicked by Tatsuya, well yeah of course... he is the protagonist. You're basically saying Demolition man is racist because the Snipes, black guy, is the bad guy and Stallone, the white guy, kicks his ass. White power! Do you not see how ridiculous that is?

Tatsuya kicks plenty of other people's asses as well. Like the Japanese members of Blanche in the first arc.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Quote:
and the filmy overdress the girls wear over their uniforms is a beautiful touch, even if the three (four?) different designs are never explained.

Read most of the volumes and don't recall it ever being mentioned what it's purpose is for but I like it, a lot. Actually the whole uniform is stylish, one of the best I've seen in a series.

If this is referring to the different colours on the dresses, isn't this standard in Japanese school uniforms? I may be wrong as I don't remember what year group each character is in.

I went on student exchange at Akashi Senior High, and their uniforms included bows for girls and ties for guys, the colour of the bows/ties depended on what year they were in, for example, 1st years were red, 2nd year blue, 3rd year yellow.

My high school did something similar: Year 8, 9 and 10 wore white shirts, and Year 11 and 12 students wore light blue shirts. So senior students were colloquially known as "blue-shirt'ers".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
Just leaving my comment from another thread in here (about the Gary Stu thing).

"I found Tatsuya to be the complete subversion of a Gary Stu as a character. Being the perfect killer machine, the perfect student, loved and admired by everybody in his school... while at the same time is have no strong feelings (because he was operated) whatsoever (besides those about her sister, and he is ridiculously unstable with them, doing nearly psychopath actions for some things that "could have" happened to her), everyone wants to control him (they already do, in a sense) and if not, everyone (even those who want to use him, but at a certain point can't) wants him dead.

Anyone who claims that Tatsuya is a wish-fullfilment character probably don't know the series that well (I would not like to be like him at all)."
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:06 am Reply with quote
Wow, I now feel dumb about complaining about this show's use of "my martial arts beats your magic". This somehow being a surprise to all those elite mages in the series who have sanctioned duels and only our main character has the sense to hit them... with his fist.. in a magic duel.... and this is a new idea, even if those monks were training on the school grounds. "When casting spells, he can always beat me. Maybe if I punch him in the face, I might just win." Clearly, these people have never played CRPGs.

This series was so stupid, it hurt me. And I'm not even getting my own sore points of how the terms "weeds" and "blooms" were used or the fact that his unique gun artifact was able to literally fire magic like a bullet while others had ones that were shaped like melee weapons and had to wielded as such to be used and this is all fair and equal somehow. Whatever happened to just everyone casting fireball and the better magic user won? With or without wands, I don't care.

And that "flash step", that was the point where I dropped the series. That's magic as martial arts and it never came up in a duel before? I never even made it to the point where I could complain about the plot, its basic logic about its magic system alone killed me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8