• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 1990s OVAs to Revive After Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a list I can really sink my teeth into and agree with since those are OVAs that were all shafted out of longer and more complete stories. As long as they're not cheap, a full Bastard!!, Gunsmith Cats, or Please Save My Earth series would be fantastic, since those were some of the exact choices I'd have used as shows that deserved more. Another I'd toss into the mix is the quite forgotten Weathering Continent film. All we got of that long series of novels was just a short film, but it showed a ton of promise for an interesting world.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
There are two titles that I would love to see revived.

Armitage III
Ghost Talker's Daydream
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Here's some interesting facts about 3X3 Eyes and Takada's other 2 notable titles, Blue Seed and Nuku Nuku: In the Japanese versions of each series, the female lead is played by Megumi Hayashabira. However, in the dubbed version of the Blue Seed TV series, Amanda Winn-Lee is Momiji while Allison Keith-Shipp played Nuku Nuku.

Two series where the original Rei Ayanami dub voice shares a role with her Japanese counterpart while another series has the dubbed Misato Katsuragi share a role with the Japanes Ayanami.
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
This has to be the best The List I've seen on this site, really amazing choices. I'm not familiar with Devil Hunter Yohko however, but I've been meaning to watch it.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
No real surprises on the poll. Only show not in the top 20 that really belongs there is Houkago no Pleiades.

Nice to see Bastard on the list. Funny, I was just posting somewhere else the other day that if they're going to dig up Parasyte I saw no reason they couldn't revive Bastard, especially when unlike most other shows of its time the Bastard manga is actually still in publication. Irregularly, but even so.

Devil Hunter Yohko's another good choice. Maybe Shamanic Princess also, though it's another one that would have to be expanded to make a full series out of it, since there's only six episodes and no manga.

Also, how about El Hazard? I don't think anything's been done with that franchise in at least 15 years.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Wow, a list I can really sink my teeth into and agree with since those are OVAs that were all shafted out of longer and more complete stories.

Although some of us are from the generation that remembers when OVAs were the only thing we GOT over here because that was the only thing small garage companies could license (ADV was the House That Devil Hunter Yohko Built because they were first moving off of ecchi/hentai OVAs), but that doesn't make them "classics".
We all watched 3x3 Eyes because it was there, and one of the few things Streamline had on a running basis, but this is the first time I've heard anyone actually nostalgic for it. Shocked
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Ai no Kusabi (and actually FINISH it this time!)

Yeah, but that's never going to happen. Any more than a reboot of Mirage of Blaze that finishes that story. The Jinchuu arc of Rurouni Kenshin is more possible, but I'm not holding my breath for that either.

Good List though. I'd like to see Bastard! and 3 x 3 Eyes, since I don't really know much about them, but have been peripherally aware of them for years.
Yuki Imouto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I hope The World Masterpiece Theater is next to be revived! They need a license!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
How about Ruin Explorers? That was a good one.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Yes! Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm needs a proper anime. Too bad What's his Face (Cameron) is probably sitting on all the rights to it for in perpetuity.

Don't worry he'll get to it after Avatar 8 is finished in 2045. He might be a cyborg himself by then but he'll get it done.

Levonr wrote:
I'm not familiar with Devil Hunter Yohko however, but I've been meaning to watch it.

It's kind of more 'mature' magical girl stuff, kind of like Cutie Honey. It's a lot more ecchi in in episode 1, then the fanservice stuff kinda goes away.

prime_pm wrote:
How about Ruin Explorers? That was a good one.

You are an amazing person <3 Another fave of mine! Let's go to zah wonda!
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I loved watching Devil Hunter Yohko when I was a kid (which isn't good because that is not a kid's show by any means haha). I would not mind at all if they did another series! I rented the first episode out at least 5 times at Blockbusters Anime hyper
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I do like how there's been a sudden resurgence of retro series or ones that have been around for awhile like Ushio and Tora, Dragonball, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Sailor Moon, and even Rurouni Kenshin if we're getting into live action. It's always important to remember history and what better way than to bring it back to the airwaves? If anything we should probably go back even further and check out stuff from the 80s and before.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Record of Lodoss War should be the first on any list of 90s anime remakes.

I would also like to see more of tenchi as well.

Also while not an ova, Crest of the Stars is a 90s property that definitely needs more love.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Awesome that Devil Hunter Yohko made it on The List. I really ought to watch it sometime; never before have I heard of another magical girl show that featured martial arts.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I would love a Bastard revival. There are too man chapters to catch up on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6