• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Growing Up Is Hard To Do: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stilldemented

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Nick took SNAFU's theme and knocked it out of the park.

This show is fun to analyze, and the characters are more charming than most anime/manga characters.

Part of the fun is indeed the harem aspect of the show and wondering if Hikki will end up with anyone, but the romantic aspects are never blatant, but rather gradually built. It's better than most shows that just throw the girl at the guy.

Oddly though, you stick around because it's just amusing to watch. So much snark and banter.

I think the Hikki vs. Hayama stuff is one of the more interesting relationships in the show. The self vs. anti-self jazz is rarely done outside of superhero shows. It's kinda funny just because each wants what the other has, but are unable to attain it due to their outlooks on life.

It's cool stuff.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Great essay! The show is my favorite this season, for pretty simple reasons. It's painfully honest, which gives it depth and leads to true moments that make my heart ache. I appreciate art that's technically brilliant, but the art that makes my chest hurt because it resonates strongly with something inside there, those are the prize moments that top everything else for me.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
A beautifully written piece, Nick. I'm hoping to write a high school drama like SNAFU one day, so articles like this really help me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3