• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super Main Visual Reveals 2 New Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
I would not be surprised if it takes places between BoG and FnF and shows how Goku and Vegeta obtain Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan and then skip to a time after FnF. Also just because the show is coming out doesn't mean they won't come out with a few more movies in addition to the show.

While that's true, Movies #1-13 were non-canon, so another "what if" movie is plausible.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
^Although Movie 1 has to take place in order for the Garlic Jr. saga to make sense. Most of the movies can still be squeezed somewhere in the anime timeline.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^Although Movie 1 has to take place in order for the Garlic Jr. saga to make sense. Most of the movies can still be squeezed somewhere in the anime timeline.

well I'm sure the Garlic Jr. saga was never really canon to begin with like most shonen anime fillers, hell the games don't even acknowledge it's existence, considering that I remember budokai 3 having some GT stuff thrown in that's saying something.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

That Saga was entirely a non-canon, anime-only one. It wasn't featured or mentioned in the manga beforehand or afterwards, and it wasn't shown or mentioned in Dragon Ball Kai, which cut all the anime-only fillers and extended scenes to keep the anime closer to the pacing of the manga.

Also, it is pretty hard to squeeze any of the first 13 films into the anime series proper, due to the inconsistency of events, for example: movies #2, #3, #4 (the events in #3 are mentioned in #4, thus making at least both of these as taking place within the same universe).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I was talking about the anime's universe, not the manga's. The Garlic Jr. saga, like it or not, WAS a part of the anime, and obviously happened in it's storyline. Movies 2-4 (and maybe 11) are the hardest to place in the timeline, but the rest could pretty much be squeezed in somewhere with only minor inconsistencies. The first Broly movie could take place within the ten day skip in the Cell Games saga, and Wrath of the Dragon could take place after Buu.

And Kai didn't cut ALL the filler, only what it could. It left in the filler with Bulma switching bodies with the Ginyu frog because it was impossible to cut around it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. Of course the Garlic Junior stuff couldn't have happened. Kuririn already knows who Gohan is in Dead Zone. But Kuririn didn't meet Gohan for the first time until Goku arrived with him at the Kame House at the beginning of the Saiyan arc. And it couldn't have happened after the Saiyan arc, because Goku was still recovering from his fight with Vegeta and Gohan and Kuririn were both preparing to go into space with Bulma.

None of the "classic" movies, save for perhaps Movie 9, make the slightest bit of sense in proper DB canon. Battle of Gods and Resurrection F take place after Buu's defeat but before the timeskip to the tournament Goku meets Uub at. And even Super may take place before that, too, somehow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:

They already did. Reread the article and look at the update at the bottom.

You mean this update? Where they only cited that the image "also appeared in the Fukkatsu no F" promotion and sidestepped the issue entirely?

I don't mean to be rude but this statement was irrelevant. If you read the thread associated to the article you would also find that the author refused to make any changes.
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Anddo wrote:

I don't mean to be rude but this statement was irrelevant. If you read the thread associated to the article you would also find that the author refused to make any changes.

Oh. Did I screw up? I screwed up. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2