• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Ep 13 review wrote:
A nervous glance or two, especially from some of his close friends, would've given the episode some extra emotional punch. While none of these things prevent this episode from telling an effective story, I wish it had done a better job of getting me to share Karasuma's conflicted feelings.

If I'm being honest, I really don't think that would've been better. Given the context, I think the way it turned out was ideal. They made it clear that Karasuma, as the adult, is really the only one thinking about the future implications of training these children to be assassins.

To the students it's just another part of this bizarre school life they're now a part of. They're supposed to be training and improving their assassination skills, which is why I think the praise and "Holy crap Nagisa! How did you do that? That was SO COOL!" reaction from the other students really was the natural response to what happened. If the other students weren't also being trained as assassins then things would be different, but they are, which is why them basically treating the situation as little more than a call for bragging rights works, in my opinion.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
If the other students weren't also being trained as assassins then things would be different, but they are, which is why them basically treating the situation as little more than a call for bragging rights works, in my opinion.

I think they are getting more emotionally invested than that. The primary things that worry them are:

1. The world will end.
2. Their academic standing at graduation.
3. The cash prize.

If #1 happens then #2 doesn't matter, and if #2 turns to crap then #1 might as well happen anyway at least as far as they are concerned. If they win #3 then they get a pass on #2 and avert #1. None of them really wanted to be an assassin to begin with otherwise at least one of them would have embraced the sadistic instructor of the prior episode. Instead for them assassination is a means to an end (stopping #1) and for Koro-sensei it is also a means to an end in not only motivating the students but also to give them some sort of structure to work within.

Note: when you look at that list what is remarkable is what is not on it. Namely, anyone with any concern about who is in love with who. That is something of a revolutionary milestone in anime set in school (i.e. 90% of them.)

What I find I am looking forward to more than the eventual saving of Earth is when everyone is forced to realize that Class E has transformed from being the 5% dregs of the academy to the 5% elite.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Ep 17 Review wrote:
Whatever the message ends up being, we should be in for an amusing tropical showdown.

I am finding it a bit odd that I am ending up with sequential posts 20 days apart on this thread. These reviews are pretty much right on so I guess there isn't a lot for the peanut gallery to take issue with.

Are those bugs worth that much money for real? Who knew. It is sort of an interesting cultural observation that a Japanese boy who considers himself a city kid has no problem picking up a large beetle where I don't know any American kid that age that would get closer than the far end of stick.

As for this episode I think it did a great job of setting the stage. I am really at a loss as to predicting how this will all wrap up.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if city kids are that squeamish. I do know that for me larger insects are less squicky than small ones. Like I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a giant hissing cockroach, but its smaller domestic cousins? Not on your life. Smile

Anyway, I find that the main suspense in this is wondering how they can possibly end this without it being terribly, tragically sad, unless they just let the world end, which would, oddly enough, not be as sad. This series is so bizarre in how deftly it makes you root for them to kill him, even while you really, really don't want them to kill him. It bewilders me every week.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure there is a LOT more to Koro-sensei's story than what we've known thus far. It's pretty clear everything he's doing is for a reason.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'm pretty sure there is a LOT more to Koro-sensei's story than what we've known thus far. It's pretty clear everything he's doing is for a reason.

His backstory was told in 7 chapters.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18:

I've felt that all of Koro-sensei's abilities (and weaknesses) were pulled out of nowhere, so I don't find this particular one any kind of let-down. To me, it's the show's way of getting around the fact that it can't let the students kill him. Instead, he has to pull something out of nowhere to make them fail. The writers are saying "and they win, so here's our ridiculous explanation for why the show can continue." The more unjustified and out-of-nowhere the contrivance is, the more the show is displaying the students' growth.
GolfDude

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
wasnt it said a few episodes back by the principal's son that there would be some sort of "surprise" in store for the E class after they won the vacation?

i dont think these "assassins" are faceless.. i think its the A class with the principal's son as the phone caller/ring leader.. with a revenge plot taking place now...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
^Did I miss something? How would he have found out what they were up to? His whole reason for wanting to win the bets with his father and E Class was to make them tell him what was going on, because apparently he hadn't been able to find out what they were hiding on his own. And he lost both bets.

I do think the faceless assassin is someone we've met, but if it is the son, they've got some 'splainin' to do.

I also didn't really mind the ass-pull escape since, if it was something they knew about, then the kids look bad for overlooking it. That was the beauty of it to me: they took everything they knew and made a perfect plan, which only failed for two reasons: an ability they didn't yet know of, and their snipers choking ever-so-slightly when faced with the possibility of actually succeeding.

The second one was the most important point of the episode. The kids are like us: they want to win, but they don't want Sensei dead. It's a critical dilemma for them to come to grips with. If they fail, the world ends. If they pass, their innocence ends. Welcome to adulthood, kids.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
His backstory was told in 7 chapters.

Oh, they already explained everything? I'm way behind on the manga...I thought they'd save that for the endgame.
Merostay

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
in the manga the ass-pull was diminished slightly by the fact that the "Trip to Himalaya" Karasuma mentioned last episode was actually Sensei`s secret training session because he really didn't know if he could survive, and thats were he came up with cristalization.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode #18:

That omake Laughing Laughing
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Episode 18:

I've felt that all of Koro-sensei's abilities (and weaknesses) were pulled out of nowhere, so I don't find this particular one any kind of let-down.

Exactly my thoughts on the matter. If I have to be honest, I felt like this was one of the show's better episodes, actually.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Ep 19 Review wrote:
Rating: B-

Are you kidding? I see no demerits that would justify anything less than an A rating.

Of course the show was going to turn more serious as it goes on; it was set up that way from the very beginning. I just don't see the problem Jensen see's with "commit to a single direction." It has always been in this direction whether you recognized it or not.

The characters are all great -- even the minor ones -- but the most interesting thing about the Class E ensemble is not so much their personalities as how they have come to respect each other and thereby respect themselves. Although there is a limit to how much they can fill in with an anime you still get the feeling that the respect is based on something solid that was developed in front of you.

Speaking of respect. About Irina: It turns out Karasuma does have respect for her after all. But girl you should have hauled your own ass up that hill like everyone else. I guess it was worth it that since that was a was a decent job in the lobby.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not having any problems with the tone shifts in this either. Far from feeling like this arc is a "long, uneventful ride," I've been riveted to the plot while still amused along the way.

It's not clear whether or not Grip and/or Karma broke the window through or not, but I suspect that will be key to getting Karasuma back on his feet posthaste.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8