• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
^

I'll live as long as they don't bastardize Kirino's otaku friends, AKA the best part of the whole anime. Ayase's yandere mode is pretty fun too.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Both seasons of Black Lagoon watched (Roberta's OVAs still pendent). I liked it, it was fun, but... I guess I was expecting much more fun than what I got? At least that's what I thought I would get when I started it, and I had enough, but not that much. The show is surprisingly slow, low in music and animation (fight coreography and creativity isn't very bright either), some pacing problems, full of for the most part talk and talk about the shitty world they live in and lack of morality and etc. etc., and at the end it just stops. Now, the main characters have charisma and weird enough likeability to pull it off, the conversations are entertaining, and there are some fun eccentric action parts and characters in the mix, but... I don't know, I guess I was expecting more. But it's clear also that this is an adaptation of the manga and I would say it could have been much better.

I also saw NieA Under 7, because I loved Haibane Renmei and wanted to see more stuff by Abe...... meeeehhhh. 6 episodes stretched to 13, the alien girl is not only annoying but repetitive, simplistic for the most part and doesn't have positive qualities to root even a tiny bit for her, the humor is weak and it couldn't bring the charm to make its themes of passing of time, home and ordinary life powerful. Not terrible, but it was a letdown.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Today I just finished watching Master of Martial Hearts. A schoolgirl named Aya Iseshima unwittingly becomes involved in a street brawl between a shrine priestess and a stewardess, she eventually finds herself competing for the Martial Heart, which will grant any wish to one's desire. Failure brings the defeated straight to a formidable world called "The Dark Realm."

This show shares a similarity with Ikkitousen in which landed attacks lead to certain parts of clothing being torn off. That aside, I really enjoyed the intensity the battles showed on every episode. The last episode was a surprisingly horrific watch. spoiler[I had no idea that the people Aya made friends with would turn out to be her enemies with a grudge.] If only the show didn't end on a cliffhanger...
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Today I just finished watching Master of Martial Hearts. A schoolgirl named Aya Iseshima unwittingly becomes involved in a street brawl between a shrine priestess and a stewardess, she eventually finds herself competing for the Martial Heart, which will grant any wish to one's desire. Failure brings the defeated straight to a formidable world called "The Dark Realm."

This show shares a similarity with Ikkitousen in which landed attacks lead to certain parts of clothing being torn off. That aside, I really enjoyed the intensity the battles showed on every episode. The last episode was a surprisingly horrific watch. spoiler[I had no idea that the people Aya made friends with would turn out to be her enemies with a grudge.] If only the show didn't end on a cliffhanger...

Just finished Martial Hearts, huh? Did you like the ending?

spoiler[AKA, the only noteworthy thing about it.]
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Well, I thought that ending of Martial Hearts wasn't that great for the reason that it left itself open to speculation about what would've happened beyond Aya's encounter with Kumi. Nonetheless, I still had fun with the show's fighting scenes. Smile

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Mon May 18, 2015 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Well, I thought that ending of Martial Hearts wasn't that great for the reason that it left itself open to speculation about what would've happened beyond Aya's encounter with Kumi. Nonetheless, I still had fun with the show's fighting scenes. Smile

I'm guessing that you enjoyed it in a "So Bad it's Good" type way?
masonjar7

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball, because I always wanted to see every episode.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'm guessing that you enjoyed it in a "So Bad it's Good" type way?

Yes, for the most part.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
masonjar7 wrote:
Dragon Ball, because I always wanted to see every episode.

Awesome. I thought I was the only "Weird person" who preferred the original DB over DBZ.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
My anime club is continuing with Black Lagoon as well....and things really got interesting from eps 5-8....

spoiler[ I thought the emotional outbursts between Revy and Roku were really well done and I was captivated by those scenes. But this is me, we're talking about; character drama is what I thrive on. Laughing

Roku really grew a pair and I loved how he pretty much put Revy in her place....FINALLY. Revy's not exactly the most likable heroine (as a person) all the time but she is an intriguing character because I so badly want to know HOW she got this warped in the first place. She was terrifying when she went on that Nazi killing-spree. Her eyes were really freaking creepy. And those quiet footsteps trailing blood....I felt like I was watching a horror movie except the killer was the protagonist. Shocked

Oh but the "he'll shoot the black guy first" joke between Revy and Dutch was hilarious. I don't think I've ever seen that type of humor in anime before. Anime hyper ]

And maybe I'm imagining things....but spoiler[this cold-hearted badass might have had her first tsundere moment!? After Roku grabs her and tells her his reasons...she totally didn't know how to react at first....then resorts to childish taunting and disgusted face, complete with the drawn-out "BAAAAAAAAAAKAAAAAAAAAAAA" (though we're watching the dub I can tell that's exactly what she originally said. Anime hyper) Then everything is fine between them, suddenly. Call me insane....but it seemed like she was *gasp* happy for a split second!?]

Honestly, this isn't even the type of show I'd watch on my own terms...but it's going to be difficult to wait for the next meeting.

I'm going to rewatch that last part in Japanese again. :'D
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Nearing the end of Oreimo 2 and... I loved Kuroneko and Kyousuke's little thing. Kuroneko is best girl. Honestly, I hated spoiler[the way the ended that] especially because I know why they ended it that way. They did it because the OTP of the show is spoiler[Kirino and Kyousuke.] It's a shame because they had a very sweet thing going on. The in-universe reason for the relationship not working out is literally summed up as "Kirino will be sad if I have a girlfriend." It's weird too. I don't usually care for ship-wars, but unlike in Clannad, the characters in Oreimo, while somewhat archetypal, come across as realized characters and human beings rather than cardboard cutouts. Unlike in Fate/Stay Night, the animated adaptation doesn't have any alternatives where I can just watch the route where the MC goes with the girl I'd prefer he get with.

Ah well. I still enjoy the show overall, and even though I know how it will end, I love the characters. Ayase's Yandere Mode is still hilarious and entertainingly scary at the same time, Kuroneko is still adorable, the only one I don't care for is, sadly, Kirino herself. I could get behind the "incest" theme of the show if it wasn't for the fact that the sister is everything I hated about Haruhi Suzumiya cranked up to eleven.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would like to finish Outlaw Star first to see if it gives me a different perspective on Angel Links.

They're nothing alike, OS is bad while Angel Links is one of the best space-oriented anime out there, very under rated classic. Picture Vandread but without being mutinous and obnoxious.

Anyway, this afternoon I finished Southern Cross. Worse real robot series ever? I dare say so! Eps 17, 18, and 19 were surprisingly decent and the last two episodes could have been legitimately awesome if not for constantly cutting away from the action. Here are spoilery bits because no matter how old a story gets you have to leave things in spoiler tags. Rolling Eyes Dumb policy, but whatever.

spoiler[So the Zor were the previous natives of Gloire and wanted it back from the humans because of FRIGGIN FLOWERS THAT EXTEND THEIR LIVES. Oh it gets better, said flowers have hallucinogenic pollen that more or less makes its hosts less aware of things and use their bio energy off one another for basic immortality as long as they don't go into combat. And these flowers only grow in ruins THAT ARE NEVER HINTED AT AND ARE SHOVED IN AT THE LAST THREE EPISODES! NO FORESHADOWING ARE ANYTHING! Then there is Seifriet aka worst Char clone ever who would make Zeheart from Gundam Age take notes on how to be a bad Char. "I was brainwashed into being a spy for the Zor, now I am working with you, I am now ratting you out to the MPs, now I am helping you, now I am making deals with the enemies, now I want revenge of Commander Dess (main antagonist/Zor leader), commander here is a kiss on the lips despite not showing any sign of affection previously, okay I sacrifice myself with my mecha which somehow teleported here, okay bye!" Add an EXTREMELY forced romance plot into this between Bowie and a Zor girl named Musica and really dumb moments (how does only ONE PERSON GET HURT WHEN SOLDIERS ARE FIRING ON AN ENTIRE CIVILIAN CROWD!?), and you have a whatever the hell this was! At least Jeanne got tolerable later on.]

The worst part is that this wasn't done by first timers or amateurs, this was done by FRIGGIN TATSUNOKO aka one of the biggest anime studios in history! The guys that brought us awesomeness like Tekkaman, Casshern, Hurricane Polymar, and Gatchaman made THIS!? Never seen Robotech, but I do question why the hell Harmony Gold went with this over friggin Orguss. I mean I know they likely did it because Orguss has an amazingly high amount of sexual context for a TV anime from this time, but still.

Hmm lets see what else ah yes! When They Cry: The Cat Killing Chapter, because I figured I might as well give it a watch before watching the sequels.... And there are no cats! (they make a joke about this after the credits) No, instead we get weird costumes and a ghost story about what may or may not have happened to some construction worker ghost. Welp, that was dumb.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Oreimo 2... aside from the OVAs. I guess I'll have to go watch it fansubbed because Crunchyroll doesn't have anything past episode 13 of Oreimo 2, which is a real shame. I just stared at the screen and went like "That wasn't an ending, you cheap son of a bitch!"

Regardless, I loved Oreimo way more than I should have. It really understands the feelings of Otaku. The harem stuff was strangely tolerable too. I only wish that, if the anime had to cut off anywhere to make the rest OVAs, it cut off while Kyousuke was dating Kuroneko. Those two are the best couple, and I never get attached to ships in my anime viewing. They're just the only ones who showed any real chemistry.

If I had to criticize, I'd complain about a few things like... Kirino's tsundere tendencies. Near the beginning, I sorta tolerated her, and even at her worst we're supposed to get this feeling that her behavior is "cute" in its own way. I never got that feeling. Unlike Tsunderes like Kaname Chidori from Full Metal Panic, or Makise Kurisu from Steins;Gate, she resorts to violence way too often. There's also too much of the "YOU'RE HITTING ON/DATING GIRL X INSTEAD OF ME!? I'M GONNA PUNCH YOU!" stuff in the second season. That's not what makes a tolerable harem anime, guys. It doesn't help that you're trying to make me believe that the brother/sister relationship is okay to support when I wouldn't even support it if they weren't siblings.

Finally, the big problem with this anime and many other harems is... the girls have little-to-no reason for liking Kyousuke. "I LOVE YOU" is a confession that is often spouted out, but we never hear why these girls love Kyousuke. Of course, I know the meta-reason (because he represents the male viewer and we're suppose to be using him as wish-fulfillment), but it wouldn't hurt to elaborate on the in-universe reasons.

When you get around the violence toward the MC and the fact that girls love him for no reason, this is actually a great anime in its own right, and one of the best "Harem" anime ever. It's one of the few that I actually enjoyed thoroughly, to the point that I'd recommend many of my friends watch it. The other harem anime that I like are technically "better" than this (Steins;Gate and the Key Adaptations, specifically Clannad and Angel Beats), but I think I enjoyed this enough to say that it makes it into my... top 40 favorites. That's a good number, believe it or not. And in the end, I hate Kirino in the same way that I hate Haruhi Suzumiya. I can understand why people like her, and I wouldn't fault them for it, I just don't think I'd be falling for her if I were Kyousuke. (In fact, I'd probably pull a School Days and get stabbed to death by Ayase. I'm kind of a jerk.)
TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:18 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Quote:
I would like to finish Outlaw Star first to see if it gives me a different perspective on Angel Links.

They're nothing alike, OS is bad while Angel Links is one of the best space-oriented anime out there, very under rated classic. Picture Vandread but without being mutinous and obnoxious.

Outlaw Star bad? Blasphemy! And how dare you also talk smack about my beloved Vandread as well!

Just kidding. Personally don't care what you have to say about either. Just have to give someone a hard time for not enjoying two of my personal favorites.

Anyways, watching Steins Gate right now. When you're one of the most highly ranked anime across the board by different sites, it's gotta be something special (same reason I'll be starting Clannad afterwards).
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
Hehe.... Yeah. Clannad. Just hold your nose through the first season and enjoy the bliss of After Story. Also, watch it with your heart, not your brain. If you think about the show too hard, you'll realize how manipulative it is. Though, that applies to most sad/emotional shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 850 of 1067