• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Psycho-Pass Producer Expresses Interest in Making More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Considering that Psycho Pass is the first anime since I got into FMA that left such a huge impact on me, I am all for future instalments. Smile

Though as much as I wanna pretend season 2 never happened,spoiler[ one highlight for me was seeing how much Akane matured after the events of the first season.] I just love how Psycho Pass is able to have a powerful female lead who doesn't need to be sexualized.

Also....if Gen Urobuchi is coming back to work on it...I hope he doesn't go all Urobutcher on us. D:

Last edited by InuNaruPokeAlchemist on Mon May 18, 2015 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Calculus20

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Well this was not a surprise at all, given the great sales for s1 and s2 and the box office revenue for the movie. Since the producer mentioned the xbox game and BD of the movie I think they'll wait until sales for those two products trickle in before making the s3 announcement. Wouldn't be surprised if it's sometime in July.

Regarding all the complaints about s2, you have to remember it was done by a spin-off studio of IG, the budget was absolutely horrendous, and the series composition and script writer were absolute trash compared to Fukami and Urobuchi. I have a feeling once a lot of people watch the movie they'll have their faith restored in the franchise. So long as IG does s3 and we have the same writers as s1/movie I'm all for a s3. The universe of PP is so big and intriguing they could do a lot to explore it. Even standalone episodes like GITS SAC could work well for PP. I also wouldn't mind a director change, Kamiyama please?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Well anther season would be nice if it shows the down fall of the system
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
Regarding all the complaints about s2, you have to remember it was done by a spin-off studio of IG, the budget was absolutely horrendous, and the series composition and script writer were absolute trash compared to Fukami and Urobuchi.

Oh, 2nd season was miles better scriptwise than first, we got rid of Urobuchi pompous nerdiness and got straight-up scifi-action story which is true rarity in anime and to be treasured as such. They messed up last eppy but it was Ubukata, you would expect him to do that.

Animation quality was horrible but if you are watching anime expecting Hollywood productions values you don't know what you are doing.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
So long as IG does s3 and we have the same writers as s1/movie I'm all for a s3. The universe of PP is so big and intriguing they could do a lot to explore it.

The same writers (Gen Urobuchi) returning to write a potential season 3 is a big if. Of course a third season could be great if Urobuchi was the writer, but I have a hard time seeing it because he, apparently, does not want to write more Madoka Magica, which is a much, much bigger property than Psycho Pass.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
That being said, the review and feedback of the movie is overwhelmingly positive, I guess it really depends on the writer and IG is back animating the movie helps too.

Seriously, reading the almost one-sided praise for the movie (in Japanese of course) makes me want to watch it right now, too bad I need to wait until mid July.

Yeah, I can't wait to see the movie, and as you and Calculus20 said, if they have the right writer I'd be totally up for a third season, there's plenty of interesting stuff left to explore in this setting.

Having both Akane and Kougami (and Ginoza etc.) would be better as well.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I am one of "those people" who could get into the 80/90s OVA style madcap insanity of PP 2 as this is supposed to be a cyber-punk franchise in the end and i put it into my top 5 when i voted for the anime of the year poll. The first series left me cold and frustrated from writing standpoint so none of that please and a 4 to 6 part OVA in the over the top vain of part 2 would be a good way to finish. They could fight a Sybil (such a dumb idea to begin with) powered mech or something. Or a sleight out action piece like the movie.

What was wrong with the animation quality of PP2? It looked good for a tv anime and season one only had more intricate backgrounds and a few more flashy direction tricks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I would be down for a third season. The movie was great and there are plenty of stories left to tell.

Cutiebunny wrote:
If Kougami is in it, yes.

^ I second this

Urizithar wrote:
2nd season was just terrible so if they gona do more they better do it right.

Season 2 was fine, there was too much artificial drama built around it by upset fanboys
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I am one of "those people" who could get into the 80/90s OVA style madcap insanity of PP 2...

I would like to second this opinion. First half of the series was true delight hardcore action galore which you almost never see in anime any more. Towards the end we see the Ubukata typical problem of throwing up in the air too many plot threads and having the usual difficulty of weaving them into coherent conclusion, but in summary this was great ride after completely disappointing 1st season.
Yause

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

What was wrong with the animation quality of PP2? It looked good for a tv anime and season one only had more intricate backgrounds and a few more flashy direction tricks.

It's just a technical mess and is lousy even for TV anime. Choppy, frequently off-model, and full of janky movement. Looking good in terms of digital processing and background quality isn't the same thing.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
altraxia- wrote:
Jun Kumagai is a no no

Believe it or not, Jun Kumagai/Tow Ubukata are not really the ones to blame here. I've read an interview with Urobuchi and Fukami and it turns out that Shiotani Naoyoshi is actually the one to blame here (and, well, considering that he has worked on Blood-C it's not that surprising). It looks like Motohiro Katsuyuki was the one who was restricting him in the 1st season and in the movie while he had his way in the 2nd season.
Quote:
──本広総監督や塩谷監督の持ち味をお二人が感じられたところは?

虚淵 塩谷監督に関しては、残虐描写でしょう(笑)。

深見 はははは(笑)。

──ああ、あのゴアなテイストは塩谷カラーなんですね。

虚淵 いやあ、あれは自分も、2期でシリーズ構成を務められた冲方(丁)さんも、風評被害を被ってる気が大いにしますね(笑)。

深見 自分も虚淵さんも残虐描写が好きだと思われているじゃないですか。でも残虐性の違いというか、方向性が塩谷監督とは違いますよね。

虚淵 たしかに! それは大いに違う。

深見 自分と虚淵さんでも残虐性の方向性は違うんですけど、塩谷監督はまた違うんですよね。メインスタッフの中では、本広総監督がたぶんいちばん残虐性に対して薄い人ですよね?

虚淵 うん。バランス感覚が高いんですよね。「ここは残虐性をアピールしなきゃ」という瞬間にはちゃんとタガは外すけど、何もそれがしたくてしているわけではない。塩谷監督は「よくあんな残虐描写を思いつくよなー」というレベルのことをやってくれるので。
映画冒頭は、画面の色合いを抑えたシーンが続く。

深見 本広総監督のカラーは、刑事モノとしての側面にあらわれているように思いますね。1期のときから、刑事モノをやるときのコツみたいなものは、よく教えていただきました。「画面の色合いを抑えないとダメ」とか。「それをやると刑事モノっぽくなくなる」というポイントのアドバイスがすごく的確なんですよ。

──ジャンルのツボを抑えてらっしゃるんですね。

深見 実績がすごいですからね。あと、「映画だったらこうしなきゃダメだ」みたいなことも、よく教えてくださいました。たとえば、映画の始まり方はこうじゃなきゃダメだよ、とか。最初の草稿から虚淵さんの改稿が入った段階まで、完成した劇場版と冒頭の展開が違いましたよね?

虚淵 そうでしたっけ?

深見 たしか本広総監督から、もっとミステリーっぽく始められないか? と提案があったはずですよ。映画が始まってから2時間、お客さんを客席に座らせ続けるための謎を冒頭部で提示できないか、と。OPで「なんだこれは!?」と思わせないとダメなんだ、ということでした。
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
If we can get Urobuchi and Motohiro back to do it, or writers/directors who can do a good job otherwise, then yeah, I'm all for it. The setting has a lot of potential for exploration.
If not, I'd rather let it rest.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Sure keep them coming, season 2 was perfectly fine, did not reacj the heights of season 1, but good, you did not like it, sorry for you.

Funny these complainers that do not want a season 3 because they found disappointed S2, ok, but yet most of you eat the same generic trash anime no. x, season after season with no qualms. Laughing

Second season 2 was good.

Those citing technicalities like some weird frames, HELLO, anime IS LIKE THIS, you must be new if you complain of such trivialities. Constrict yourself to movies, ovas or american cartoons then.

I liked S1, S2 as well, so keep them coming for me, I will embrace it them over generic fanservice and moe anime, Psychopass is way above in all layers to 85% of the anime that comes every season.
tomzz4

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Delete season 2 and make something as good or better, or at least up to par with the original season. Then I will watch and invest currency in Psycho-Pass
Yause

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
Those citing technicalities like some weird frames, HELLO, anime IS LIKE THIS, you must be new if you complain of such trivialities. Constrict yourself to movies, ovas or american cartoons then.

New anime viewers wouldn't recognize most of these issues, and the producers probably know it. Why else would opinions vary so widely between "beautifully animated" to "horribly produced"? The latter gets cited because there are issues (that stem all the way back to the layout stage so it can't even be fixed on DVD/BD without a complete redo) that render it well below average for TV anime.

The problems aren't limited to Psycho-Pass 2; nearly all of Tatsunoko's recent productions suffer similarly from poor quality standards. While animation isn't the only factor to consider, it's still an important aspect of the medium.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3