• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NeoAniCon - Baltimore - ???

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:32 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=158

...with all due respect to the organizers, does not sound like the most thought-through of ideas. It'd've been nice to actually a) get some capital together and b) *see* if Hunt Valley has space available. And that's even without wondering whether the mid-Atlantic region *can* support another convention...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, they're really off to a bad start. Their organization seems horrible and a press release this early doesn't help their image. If they want some respect they should show more confidence in themselves, not some wishy-washy ideas. We might do this and we might do that is just going to confuse people, when it comes to stuff like this the general public is better off not knowing what you're thinking.

And another convention in Baltimore? Ouch indeed...

Emerje (psst, the title given to the press release says "Blatimore")
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:28 am Reply with quote
Really now. if you're planning to start a new con, do you really want to set up shop in Otakons home town? Sure, they may get some people thinking "Hey, I drive there for Otakon, so I can do this too" but the more likley response, including mine is, "I already drive all the way to Baltimore for Otakon, why am I gonna make the same exact trip for what's almost guaranteed to be a lesser con?"

Are they planning to hold this sometime next year? If so they need to get some real work together fast. There's no way generous otaku are gonna donate enough money to fund the con. they need to find some actual companies that will help to support them. They also need to make decision NOW about what they're going to do, because it takes months of planning to make it come together properly.

Finally, major cons have attempted both 4-day cons and 24 hour cons and they were basically disasters. I really don't think a first time con should attempt either one.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad i live in baltimore. I didn't even know it weas tyhe home of the otakon. I really want to go to some.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1