• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Meat Popsicles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
The average anime fan only lasts two years? I suspect that ANN members last longer than that just as they are a bit older than average. I've been an active anime fan for over 17 years now without any significant break. It would take a lot of two month fans to bring the average down to two years.

@Justin, as someone roughly twice your age, I suggest you enjoy age 35 while you have it. It will not come back.

@mgosdin, be careful who you call kids, I would love to be looking forward to age 60.

Concerning making a job out of your hobby. Both of you should look on the bright side. At least you are a part of the small percentage of the population that is making a living doing something you want to do. While I'm sure what you do has its ups and downs it is obviously rewarding in more ways than just monetarily. You guys got lucky. And yes, I realize it took a lot of hard work, but a lot of people put in the work without getting to the place you are at.

Most of the rest of just have jobs. Something we do to put food on the table while we pursue outside interests for fun. If we are lucky we don't hate what we do (I didn't) and it covers more than just food. However it is not something we would have done for any reason other than employment.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
I know you guys like movies, maybe you've seen a CERTAIN one that came out in the US on the 1st?
Not to speak for them, but I'm pretty sure Justin at least has said before he has no interest in the Marvel movies. (I assume you were referring to Avengers)

I saw it yesterday. Liked it more than I thought I would - first act is a mess but it came together. I had a good time, which is more than I thought I'd have.

Alan45 wrote:

Concerning making a job out of your hobby. Both of you should look on the bright side. At least you are a part of the small percentage of the population that is making a living doing something you want to do. While I'm sure what you do has its ups and downs it is obviously rewarding in more ways than just monetarily. You guys got lucky. And yes, I realize it took a lot of hard work, but a lot of people put in the work without getting to the place you are at.

Most of the rest of just have jobs. Something we do to put food on the table while we pursue outside interests for fun. If we are lucky we don't hate what we do (I didn't) and it covers more than just food. However it is not something we would have done for any reason other than employment.

Yanno, if there was any indication in anything that I said that I somehow did not appreciate my position in life and didn't recognize that I am blessed to do something I love for a living, then I misspoke. I know full well I'm lucky to do this for a living. It's been 15 years. I know this is a cool job. I work very hard.

"Being immediately chastised if you even hint at complaining about your job" is another thing you get to deal with when you turn your hobby into a job, though, and here's an example of that happening.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
@Zac
If anything I said sounded like chastisement, then I misspoke. If anything, I was expressing pure unadulterated envy. I still haven't figured out what I want to do when I grow up, and I've been retired for years.

This was just something that came to mind reading Nick Creamer's editorial and the news article about how badly animators are paid. Working in a creative field can be extremely hard and only a few make it, but people do it because that is what they want not just because they need a job.

And no, you don't sound ungrateful, you sound like you are still having fun after 15 year, which is why I envy you.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to see Terminator: Genisys. The trailer makes it look like an insane remix of the first two movies that seems to be going for a campy nostalgia vibe. It will probably be a trainwreck, but, if it's at least a fun trainwreck, it'll automatically be more entertaining than the second two Terminator movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm going to see Terminator: Genisys. The trailer makes it look like an insane remix of the first two movies that seems to be going for a campy nostalgia vibe. It will probably be a trainwreck, but, if it's at least a fun trainwreck, it'll automatically be more entertaining than the second two Terminator movies.

The one thing I'll give the third was that amazing crane chase scene.That was quite the spectacle of special effects. I do agree that Genisys looks like entertaining schlock,just like Jurassic World.

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Sat May 02, 2015 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Ghost in the Shell franchise:

I enjoy the Oshii films, even where Innocence goes off the rails, it does so in an interesting way. But, for me at least, they pale to the depth that Stand Alone Complex is able to get to. Having that larger TV-series sandbox to play really allows the viewer to make better connections to the characters and watch their relationships to one another reveal themselves in more detail. While I can totally understand people thinking it can be boring (it IS talking-head-y; a Kamiyama weakness), the grounding in real-world issues makes it shine in ways that Oshii's movies don't. The trade-off there is the visuals. Oshii's movies are more poetic, naturally more theatrical. SAC is more workmanlike; serviceable in most places and definitely high quality for TV, but only rarely does it get to look amazing.

Arise is a whole other animal. Compared to the movies and SAC, it has no soul. It's like Len Wiseman doing a follow-up to a Kubrick film.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

Anyway I'm a diehard physical release guy, disks and dead trees forever. Having been involved in the IT world for the past 26 years I've seen a lot of "online" services come and go, some before online was really a thing, I don't trust that we will be able to stream anything for any length of time. So, yeah, I want it in my sweaty hands thank you very much.

Mark Gosdin

Agreed. The idea of relying entirely on a service if I wanted to go back to something really makes me leery. Even if the service is still around, it also depends on maintaining the rights to a show. Netflix routinely has things drop off its service, and then it all depends on whether they decide to renew and how long the process takes. I much prefer the prospect of always having my own copy on hand.

The question about eating and fitness was quite relevant to where I'm at right now. I've always been on the thinner side, and could basically eat as I pleased, but right around when I turned 27 I noticed flab developing. As Justin said, reducing/kicking certain kinds of food is HARD. Doing what Justin said and allowing myself a just a little bit of the things I crave (I'm partial to carbs) was really important. I tried cutting things entirely, and the temptation gets to be too much.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
With the Seinfeld talk in the episode, I felt I had to add...

As much as I loved Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm might be a better, definitely more unfiltered, presentation of that comedy style.

The Season 8 episode (#3) Palestinian Chicken might be the best sitcom episode ever, of any series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
With the Seinfeld talk in the episode, I felt I had to add...

As much as I loved Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm might be a better, definitely more unfiltered, presentation of that comedy style.

The Season 8 episode (#3) Palestinian Chicken might be the best sitcom episode ever, of any series.

"You know what you are? You're a social assassin."

Great episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2