• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Ange Creative Producer Indicates Sales Were Strong Enough for More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Mitsuo Fukuda wrote:
He also mentioned that while he wants to do a continuation, Sunrise told him that the studio was too busy with "a certain anime franchise that has been running for many years."

I wonder which series it might be? Smile

(And they also have Aikatsu! and Tribe Cool Crew)

Those aren't technically Sunrise's main branch anymore (which produced Cross Ange). That's BN Pictures. As someone who attended the fan meeting, it was pretty obvious they were hinting to Gundam. But hey, maybe I'm just dense.

But personally, I really don't like that people consider this anime trash because of watching the first episode, or worse, JUST HEARING about the first episode. That's like being, "My friend told me potato chips are an abomination. Therefore, just with that, I will join the hate crowd of potato chips." As someone who also attended the anime's premiere, YES, the first episode was not stellar. However, the real series, I believe, begins at episode 4. The characters and world become developed, the action is awesome, the romance is great, and the music is stellar (thank you music god Akiko Shikata). From a shaky start at the first episode, it has become one of my favorite anime.

If you've already seen 10 episodes or whatever, maybe it's not for you (though things pick up in the next 3). But just because something is not for you doesn't make it trash.

(Note: These are all personal opinions)

I was at the fan meeting yesterday, and I almost had a heart attack when my seat number was called for the present campaign. I actually made Vivian valentine chocolate for a friend at Valentine's Day, so to receive a one-of-a-kind Vivian seemed fitting. X3 I find both the series and the community so much fun. Whenever I see the openings on the big screen again, I get the chills. It's so cool.

So yes. I want a second season. Or maybe even a movie, which is what I thought would be more fitting.

Last edited by mewpudding101 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Okay, so... serious question. What was good about this show?

The characters and plot were good. The show isn't a game-changer or anything, but the characters were likeable once you got to know them and the central plot dealing with spoiler[multiple universes and a man who basically becomes a mufti-dimensional being] was pretty entertaining.

The characters are consistent and most of their motivations are believable. The first episode definitely turned a lot of people off because it looked pretty rapey, but that was just your typical outraged internet users jumping to conclusions. I mean, y'know how people are nowadays. If they see something that offends them, even for a second, they love to fly off the handle. That's not to say that some of the characters weren't rapey, because a couple of them were just basically rapists. But you weren't supposed to like them or sympathize with them, because rape is bad and it's worth mentioning that absolutely no one gets raped.

A lot of people also didn't like the fanservice used throughout the series. I personally really don't care for fanservice, but it was usually used for comic relief more than anything else. I never thought that the fanservice got in the way of the show's tone either. Another problem some people might have is that the show doesn't exactly look all that good. The artwork is passable and the animation isn't anything worth mentioning, and the mechs are all CGI, as is standard nowadays, so the mech battles don't look all that great.

The show I'd most compare it to would be Zegapain, another Sunrise show that didn't have the best production values, but had the plot and characters it needed to succeed. Just watch the first six episodes and see if you like it. It was definitely one of my favorite shows of the last few seasons.[/i]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:

How do you top Embryo as the next evil bastard? He was, for all intents and purposes throughout the show, a god. What's next? Lucifer comes up from the bowels of Hell and says "I think it's my turn to sexual assault Ange until she confesses undying love for me."?

Not only that, but (if I remember correctly) Ange and the Normas went to live on the DRAGON world, leaving behind all the "humans" on the wrecked landscape that is the Earth. And Ange seemed content to just let all those a**holes who cheered as she was led to a public death deal with their own problems. So, what kind of conflict could possibly come up between the DRAGONS/Norma that would require a sequel? If Salamandinay and Ange wanna start getting into a sports competition again, I'm game. But you can't drag that out for an entire season.

No one has imagination anymore. There are plenty of ways to top a god.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Don't know why people think there is no room for a sequel. Just like our world, evil is everywhere. You don't need a prequel, you don't need the last villain to be reincarnated, so, all you really need is a good story to showcase the next evil bastard. Our real world has so many evil people, so why should Ange's world be any different.

Because Ange's story is 100% finished. She is done developing as a character. I don't see how you could do it properly without a new MC. There is a reason MC's like Amuro don't really have much of a part in the sequel. If you do a good enough job in the first place, there isn't really anything left, and you end up with a boring static character like Kira in Destiny. However, could you really make a sequel to Cross ANGE and not have her as the MC?
Mecha Odyssey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Don't know why people think there is no room for a sequel. Just like our world, evil is everywhere. You don't need a prequel, you don't need the last villain to be reincarnated, so, all you really need is a good story to showcase the next evil bastard. Our real world has so many evil people, so why should Ange's world be any different.

Because Ange's story is 100% finished. She is done developing as a character. I don't see how you could do it properly without a new MC. There is a reason MC's like Amuro don't really have much of a part in the sequel. If you do a good enough job in the first place, there isn't really anything left, and you end up with a boring static character like Kira in Destiny. However, could you really make a sequel to Cross ANGE and not have her as the MC?

Yes. Mai-HiME did that already. They introduced a new MC in Mai-Otome (Mai-Z-HiME) then left off Mai until near the series. So Sunrise has done it already.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Okay, so... serious question. What was good about this show? The majority in here seemingly liked it, but I never watched it, because I only ever heard bad things. And not the standard complaints like pandering and sloppy writing, more along the lines of "possibly the most offensively terrible mainstream anime of the past decade." And it wasn't random trolls saying such things, it was people like... most of ANN's writers.

You mean all the ANN reviewers (except 1) who claimed there was rape in episode 1 that never happened? You can let a bunch of cranky people looking for a chance to get offended turn you off to something.

What is good about it? Short answer: its fun. It has good action scenes, interesting mech designs, interesting and well developed MC (though I hated her for the first 3-4 episodes), and a villain you just really want to lose. The ending was actually good... which too many series seem to blow lately. It also doesn't really take itself too seriously and just does a bunch of crazy stuff. Certainly not the best at anything it does be it action, characters, writing, etc. But it was a fun ride.

Mecha Odyssey wrote:
Yes. Mai-HiME did that already. They introduced a new MC in Mai-Otome (Mai-Z-HiME) then left off Mai until near the series. So Sunrise has done it already.

And Gundam SEED.
Mecha Odyssey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Mecha Odyssey wrote:

And Gundam SEED.

The difference being that the character's name is in the series title, unlike Gundam.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Eitherway, I want the sound crew and Yoko Takahashi back for opening/endings and awesome soundtracks!

YES! Always needs more Yoko Takahashi.

IDK why but this is one of those shows that I hope does not get an english dub. I can't really explain why....
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
You mean all the ANN reviewers (except 1) who claimed there was rape in episode 1 that never happened? You can let a bunch of cranky people looking for a chance to get offended turn you off to something.

Well, in my experience, there are two kinds of people on the internet: people who get upset and offended about certain things, and people who think it's absurd and childish to ever take offense at anything. It seems this show works best for the latter. I'm more the former, which is why I stayed away from it. ANN's reviewers are generally professional (especially compared to the average anime reviewer) and have pretty comprehensive explanations for not liking things, so I doubt they were just getting offended for its own sake.

@AsherFischell: Thanks, that sounds like a reasonable explanation. It's probably too brutal and fanservicey for me, but I still want to have some understanding of what people see in the shows I can't sit through. Razz
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
To all those people who say they're completely satisfied with the ending I assure you that the sort of people who would write this shit are not the type who would pick what makes sense from a storytelling perspective over what would make them the most money.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
To all those people who say they're completely satisfied with the ending I assure you that the sort of people who would write this shit are not the type who would pick what makes sense from a storytelling perspective over what would make them the most money.

Out of pure curiosity, how far have you seen in this series to call it "shit"?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

If I say I've only seen one episode or a few episodes, you're going to say 'Well you haven't seen enough to call it bad!' or 'It gets better!' (For the record, I've never watched a show that started off as a 1/10 that got any higher than a 3/10 by the end)

If I say I've seen it all you're going to say 'Well if you hate it so much why did you even watch it!?'

And when I bring up legitimate criticisms, you'll just knock them aside and keep focusing on that one point no matter which one it is. Why even bother saying it? It's not like the tone of the responses I get are going to be any different either way.

Although if you ask me, anyone who knows anything about Sunrise should know exactly what to expect from Cross Ange. You don't even have to watch the show because it's pretty much just a bunch of recycled elements from other popular shows (i.e CRAAAAAAAAAZY PLOT TWISTS, lesbians, shape shifting, robots, rape, casual misogyny) taped together with Nana Mizuki's vocal chords.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

mewpudding101 wrote:

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

If I say I've only seen one episode or a few episodes, you're going to say 'Well you haven't seen enough to call it bad!' or 'It gets better!'
{Fixed your inline quotes. ~nobahn}

You didn't answer my question...? So, did you see it? It's actually a really good show, despite the controversial beginning, so I really do suggest giving it a try. However, if it is not your kind of thing, that's fine. I would personally appreciate that you not call it shit because it personally does not float your boat, especially if you haven't seen it.

For example, I personally really do not like Attack on Titan, and do not think it is that good at all in my mind. However, I wouldn't call it shit. It has value to a lot of people, and it's just my own tastes.

Anyway, there's no reason to get so defensive. ^^
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Okay, so... serious question. What was good about this show? The majority in here seemingly liked it, but I never watched it, because I only ever heard bad things. And not the standard complaints like pandering and sloppy writing, more along the lines of "possibly the most offensively terrible mainstream anime of the past decade." And it wasn't random trolls saying such things, it was people like... most of ANN's writers.

Most of the negativity centered on the first episode or two. But I usually find anime pilots to be a very good indicator of overall quality, except in odd cases like Aldnoah Zero where they changed writers after only a few episodes. Leaving aside whatever the beginning was like, does this show improve enough to make it worth it? If so, how? I don't mind spoilers, I'll probably never get around to watching it anyway... and I can't exactly argue with you, for the same reason. Just curious.

Even most who are fans of the series would probably agree that the first three episodes are the weakest. I think they hold up better after you see where the rest of the series is going, but on an initial view those three episodes do not leave a favorable impression, and that is exacerbated by Ange/Angelise starting out as an unlikable character. That's a pretty gutsy move for writers to do with a protagonist, enough so that it's rarely done because a) it can backfire too easily and b) convincingly transforming a character from unlikable to likable is a difficult maneuver for any writer. But I - and most others who ended up liking the series - felt that the series not only pulled it off but excelled at doing it. The Ange at the beginning of the series was a naive, weak-willed bigot with "victim" practically written on her face; the Ange at the end is a far stronger (both mentally and physically), tougher, and more worldly woman with an indomitable will and the force of personality to make things happen. As pathetic as she is at the beginning, she is awesome at the end. And she isn't the only major character who transforms herself as the series goes on, either.

On top of that, the show's internal logic is actually pretty strong. Sure, crazy stuff happens, but with one glaring exception near the end, character actions, reactions, and developments actually make sense and are logically consistent.

Lastly, as others have mentioned, the series doesn't take itself so seriously that it can't have a little fun. And I agree that the fun parts and the fan service never got in the way of other things; in fact, a lot of the latter wasn't (purely) gratuitous even though it was still clearly fan service. (For instance, some of the implied lesbian sex scenes actually also speak to relationship dynamics amongst the characters involved.) However, the coarse way that some of those scenes were handled is also responsible for a lot of the guff that the series takes.

Yeah, it's got its rough spots and places where it can potentially offend, but CA is actually liked in the end by a fair number of people because it's actually better thought-out and constructed than it may initially look like it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
You didn't answer my question...? So, did you see it? It's actually a really good show, despite the controversial beginning, so I really do suggest giving it a try. However, if it is not your kind of thing, that's fine. I would personally appreciate that you not call it shit because it personally does not float your boat, especially if you haven't seen it.
Okay, I'm going to stop you there. First off, that comment about Titan was just completely unnecessary. Second, when someone doesn't like a show that you enjoy don't just automatically assume that they're one of those types who would never enjoy it no matter how much it does right.

There's a difference between someone disliking a show because it 'personally doesn't float their boat' (Like hating K-ON because 'NOTHING HAPPENS', hating an ecchi show because of the tits or my opinion on Baccano which you should never, ever take seriously) and someone disliking a show because of its flaws (Contrary to popular belief, not all flaws are subjective). As far as I'm concerned, the only people who enjoy Cross Ange are the ones who either don't know about its problems or don't care.

I'm calling it shit because it's incredibly offensive (And trust me when I say I'm DEFINITELY not one of those 'person who cares about social justice' types and this is pretty much the only anime I've ever felt the need to criticise for being sexist) and probably one of the most transparent cash grabs in anime history (Even more so than Valvrave).

If it was just slightly less sexist and actually had a shred of originality in its DNA then I don't see any reason why I wouldn't enjoy it. Code Geass has a good amount of objectification and is like a weird smoothie of 10 different genres yet to this day I still think the show is super fun despite its flaws. Guilty Crown is even more flawed, but I still really enjoyed it.

The reason why I don't like Cross Ange (And Valvrave for that matter) isn't because I dislike shows that are dumb and completely balls to the wall in general. It's, as I said, because I think it's shit in the sense that it failed in a lot of areas those shows succeeded.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9