• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Subtitle Hues and Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
What? Mezzo DSA was awesome! Okay, it isn't deep or thought-provoking, and the animation quality would dip from time to time, but if you wanted some straight-forward action and gun-play that doesn't take itself too seriously, Mezzo DSA fit the bill quite nicely. I even think the dub was pretty good.

Agreed, that's one I think some people would buy and another that he sighted that I disagree on is Gatekeepers which was a pretty awesome show and I'd buy it again if there were even a minor upgrade in video quality from modern equipment.

Brakus wrote:
Subtitle style doesn't really bother me too much, just as long as it's readable and all. But what sometimes disappoints me is when an American company does not attempt to replicate how the OP looks in a show. This is especially true if the OP involves a lot of kinetic typography, such as the 2nd OP from Attack on Titan, or the OP to Welcome to the NHK. For the most part, FUNimation does a decent job trying to replicate the credits during OP sequences so they looked similar to how they looked when broadcast in Japan. ADV did a good job with their handling of the Azumanga Daioh OP way back when.

I am just disappointed sometimes that we can't always have the exact same viewing experience for anyone not in Japan. Keeping the sweeping and gorgeous kinetic typography that's omnipresent in Kill La Kill throughout the show is just something that I kinda wish that the original production companies would consider when they know a show like that is going to be localized for the English language.

Yeah, I love translated credits in OPs but it's true sometimes they are too lazy with making them truly fit, though sometimes like you said they do them well. I appreciate when they do them.

Just Passing Through wrote:
All the Anime are releasing Kill la Kill in the UK in three parts, and when they began with Part 1, the subtitles were a mix of player generated subs, and hard subs burnt into the print. That had a little advantage of freeing up the font used, and adding a little animation to the text translations that matched the animation of the on screen Japanese text.

I quite liked it, although it wasn't as epic as the GIF in the article, the font used was still white. But the fans hated it. From part 2, it was back to all subtitles and on screen text generated by the player.

Really? That sounds kind of cool that they tried though I don't know how it looked since I haven't seen that version only AoA's on blu-ray and the fansubs. Maybe it would have helped if it were red since you mentioned they were still white.

But yeah, damn what Underwater did was so damned good when I was watching the show the first time through fansubs, couldn't help but be disappointed not seeing that in the official home release since it was so cool looking on all of them, heh.

Lynx Amali wrote:
Kinda wish they did a proper Masoukishin anime though, at least adapting Part 1 during the game release binge they did. I would absolutely love a proper Masoukishin anime.

This. One of the first things that threw me off and got me disappointed with that Cybuster anime when I started watching it.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
CoffeeFlux wrote:
I don't understand, but if there's any confusion as to whether or not you can sub this nicely, Vivid made it very clear in their release (please note that this is very quick easy to do): http://a.pomf.se/gpfwok.webm

Your point on giving speedsubs more leeway is largely valid, though.
Thanks for the polite reply Smile

Except that first note fails as a translation. It was two separate sentences. You shouldn't be just combining stuff as you feel like as a translator.

I thought the text was not any better their way in terms of placement either as when she writes the rest it just looks cramped. I can see the appeal though, but I don't think there was anything wrong with the other.
Ergzay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
My personal hope is that Crunchyroll (and maybe Daisuki) drive Funimation out of the market of online streaming. Funimation doesn't seem to care to the level that Crunchyroll and Daisuki do for online streaming software and website design which are huge turnoffs in terms of user experience. Daisuki is top of the game in terms of site design with Crunchyroll a close second.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
With all the talk of subtitles, I do have a question that I'm hoping someone here can help me out with. I've been boycotting Funi for a while, and will be for the foreseeable future, so I don't know the answer. Do they still only use a single color of subs whenever they have multiple people talking at the same time? That was always my biggest pet peeve with their subs. You would have two people talking and a wall of text on the screen, with no indication as to who was saying what. I much preferred how Sentai would use yellow for the first speaker, and then white for second speaker or background sounds (such as a TV.)
TheObserver99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
With all the talk of subtitles, I do have a question that I'm hoping someone here can help me out with. I've been boycotting Funi for a while, and will be for the foreseeable future, so I don't know the answer. Do they still only use a single color of subs whenever they have multiple people talking at the same time? That was always my biggest pet peeve with their subs. You would have two people talking and a wall of text on the screen, with no indication as to who was saying what. I much preferred how Sentai would use yellow for the first speaker, and then white for second speaker or background sounds (such as a TV.)

Pretty much everyone does that these days. I've never seen two separate colours on Cruncyroll or Funimation while streaming.

You get used to it pretty fast though. And tbh I normally watch more Funimation dubs than subs.
Ergzay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
TheObserver99 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Pretty much everyone does that these days. I've never seen two separate colours on Cruncyroll or Funimation while streaming.

You get used to it pretty fast though. And tbh I normally watch more Funimation dubs than subs.

Crunchyroll does minimal typesetting sometimes and I've seen multiple colors sometimes. Usually not though. Crunchyroll actually uses Aegisub for their typesetting and their job descriptions for hiring translators/editors/QCers/typesetters all require experience with aegisub.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
TheObserver99 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed that CR does it as well. That's generally why I wait for their streams to pop up on Anime Network. The Sentai subs are usually identical except for yellow being the primary color, and white being used for secondary speakers and sound. Not to mention, they usually have more on screen text translations. Personally, I'm not a fan of white subs. They blend to easily into the background in a lot of scenes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Hey Dark_Sage, good to see that you're still alive and kicking.
Dark_Sage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Hey Dark_Sage, good to see that you're still alive and kicking.

What is this sexy may never die.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, there was one CPM title Media Blasters tried to rescue, but couldn't, because Kadokawa lied to them about the masters not being available, when they were really just planning to put it on Blu-Ray themselves. Lodoss. Also, haven't seen the new Arslan, but the character designs are just not as cool as those in the original OAVs.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This used to be something sort of ridiculous back in the heyday of anime fansubs, but more recent developments in software have resulted in some truly spectacular work. I mean, look at this stuff.
Similar stuff could've been done in the past, but it would've been hardsubbed with After Effects instead. Nowadays, I'm inclined to believe that fansubbers are getting kickbacks from PC manufacturers for making people buy new high-end gaming rigs every year or every season to keep up with new softsubbed typesetting and karaoke effects.

Quote:
usually very minor punctuation errors that most people would never notice.
Much of it is, but I think examples already linked by others like Sentai's Chuunibyou Demo subs (which were on DVD/BD with months or years of lead time, not rushed simulcast subs) go far beyond that. It's as if Sentai is completely lost when they have to make their own subs without being able to Copy+Paste from CR these days. Makes me fear for the Amagi Brilliant Park release.

In my experience, people who use talking points like "bumblebee subs" come from a faction that's determined to redefine anything the industry does as bad. People survived yellow subs in fansubs for ages without getting "eyecancer" or whatever. Many people hate on Funimation's unassuming white font with black outlines, and yet white subs in plain fonts with black outlines are completely normal in the fansubbing world. The Trebuchet MS font was perfectly acceptable in the fansubbing world, but once CR started using it, it became "awful styling."

Dragonrider_cody wrote:
Do they still only use a single color of subs whenever they have multiple people talking at the same time?
As seen in some of the screenshots linked by CoffeeFlux, they typically precede each line with -- whenever two lines overlap. Not ideal, but better than some blasted media companies that don't differentiate at all.

Kougeru wrote:
On a streaming site, you can just hardsub the videos with great fonts and such with no issue.
Something I'm surprised Justin didn't touch on: many fonts are copyrighted commercial properties. They require extra time and money to use them, particularly in a commercial streaming or disc release, and that's extra costs and delays companies would rather not take on. Whereas when fansubbing, it's a lot easier to match signs and such if you can get away with just opening up 10000fonts.rar.torrent and pick the one you want, without any payments or licensing issues.

(List of potential/speculated license rescues to follow in future post, this is long enough as it is.)
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Just Passing Through wrote:
All the Anime are releasing Kill la Kill in the UK in three parts, and when they began with Part 1, the subtitles were a mix of player generated subs, and hard subs burnt into the print. That had a little advantage of freeing up the font used, and adding a little animation to the text translations that matched the animation of the on screen Japanese text.

I quite liked it, although it wasn't as epic as the GIF in the article, the font used was still white. But the fans hated it. From part 2, it was back to all subtitles and on screen text generated by the player.

Really? That sounds kind of cool that they tried though I don't know how it looked since I haven't seen that version only AoA's on blu-ray and the fansubs. Maybe it would have helped if it were red since you mentioned they were still white.

But yeah, damn what Underwater did was so damned good when I was watching the show the first time through fansubs, couldn't help but be disappointed not seeing that in the official home release since it was so cool looking on all of them, heh.

This is what it looked like.
http://sailormoonforum.com/download/file.php?id=32295&sid=8b947d3c39529cf0aa9b79560cea27d6
MysticMew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:14 am Reply with quote
Okay, I have not really read all the posts here, so if I repeat something, my apologies...

My personal opinion on subs. I can live with almost everything as long as it is READABLE. Of course proper translation is an important point, but I can forgive translation errors, especially in official streaming subs that are obviously made in a hurry much more easily than other things.

I am very shortsighted, this also effects my coordination to grasp multiple things on the screen. It's fine most of the time to watch subbing (which I really prefer), however, a lot of subs try to make it as hard as possible to actually read comfortably while still following the actual animation on screen. Some examples:

Stylish Fonts: That's most often a case with fansubs, of course. Some are cool, some are actually making it easier... but a lot of them are just hindering. It's a lot harder to read a text quickly when there are Serifs and other styles added which often leads to trying to actually decipher the letter/word and by the time you do the text has already moved on and you missed the action on the screen.

Font Size: My main beef with Funi subs, really. I rather have subs a tad bigger, it makes them easier to read and follow. Granted, there are worse things than Funi's subs who are just barely on the edge of tolerance for me.

Font Color: Eh, I've seen this done to good, even readable effect (currently rewatching Yes Pretty Cure 5 and keeping the colors for the different colors works... here, but I wonder how this would pen out on a higher-resolution format). Most of the time, however, especially these days with higher resolution colored subtitles can make reading rather unbearable.

Font Placement: Again, mostly a fansub issue... If the sub ends up practically at the very bottom of the screen, stretched from one end to the other, you know something is not right. Anime smile

Any conbination of these can make a sub bad. I've seen stuff like subs placed so low, stretched out, small and with ugly font that you literally had to pause any other frame to actually read them in time.

These are extreme cases sure, but the thing I wanted to point out is that before doing fancy stuff with a sub, make sure you can read it quickly while still being able to follow the actual animation. If that is not possible, then no matter how cool the effects, the sub failed in its most basic and important function. A sub should support the anime and not take the spotlight. It's as they say for football/soccer games... The best referees are the ones you don't notice (-> complain about).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
I probably hold the most unpopular opinion.

"It's an English release so scrub out the Kanji and replace it with English."

I can understand not touching street signs when a show is based in Japan, but alot of the text isn't part of the artwork to me: it's overlayed over the artwork. I miss the days when the opening credits and the title would be translated and the songs would be in English for the dub. I loved the Princess Tutu approach where the Japanese title changed into the English one.

I just want an equal product to the Japanese.

Sounds like you want a localization and not a translation because you're pretty much asking them to take out as much Japanese as humanly possible from the work. I don't really have a problem with a release doing that if it is a dub. If they're going to be speaking english, go ahead and reword it to sound natural even if you lose a bit in doing so (though they're potentially going to be restrained by lip movements so overall length likely has to be the same). Likewise if they're speaking english, it makes sense for the writing to be in english so that seems justifiable as well.

Subtitles on the other hand (imo) are there to translate what is on screen so that you can understand it and not to change what is on the screen itself or just summarize what was said. Which going back my response to Coffee, is why I think how those subs he linked handled name suffixes was fine. Sometimes the balance between natural sounding and information loss is a tough choice, but intentionally going out of your way to replace visuals should be out of the scope of subtitles.

On a sort of related note, while I don't care that much if a sub reverses name order, it does annoy me greatly when you can hear a character being called by their family name but the sub uses their given name. It just feels really disjointing when what I'm hearing is vastly different from what I see.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I actually really like the way the subtitles are styled on the Kill la Kill BDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8