• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Neon Genesis Evangelion Opening Parodied on Regular Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Hey, a parody of anime by an American-animated show that was actually inspired and well thought-out, rather than lazy,derisive, or dated! Surprised

Never really watched Regular Show, but they did a very good, and good-natured, job there. They showed that they definitely know their stuff…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
^ I actually felt it seemed pretty lazy. At least the song...monotone singing makes me wonder if they're trying to insult Japanese music, which now days seems to have a higher % of real singers vs robots (ironically)
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's mostly an Eva parody, but little bits like Rigby doing that odd hand gesture in front of his eyes and the cast's poses (particularly Skips looking aloof with a sweater over one shoulder) seem to come from Gundam Wing's two openings.

I love Regular Show for odd stuff like this, even if my viewing has kind of slacked off lately.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
^ I actually felt it seemed pretty lazy. At least the song...monotone singing makes me wonder if they're trying to insult Japanese music...

I have to agree that the singing did sound a bit rushed, flat, and off-key.
I understand that it's a parody, but I think they could have spent a bit more time getting the voices warmed up.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, that was a nice watch Smile
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
There were about a dozen different mecha anime being referenced in that episode, not just NGE.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
That was fun, In spite on not keeping up with it like Steven Universe or Gravity Falls I do like Regular show and something like this seems right up their alley. Feels like it was trying to create that feeling of what it's like when you first experience a hyper adrenaline filled anime for the first time. Never seen a lick of gundam but I enjoyed it regardless.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
The episode was filled with references to all kinds of mecha anime. Voltron, Gurren Lagann, G Gundam, Gundam Wing Endless Waltz with the angel wings, and probably tons more I have no idea about because I don't have a huge knowledge of mecha anime.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
^ I actually felt it seemed pretty lazy. At least the song...monotone singing makes me wonder if they're trying to insult Japanese music, which now days seems to have a higher % of real singers vs robots (ironically)

What, CN's regular-demographic shows actually insulting Japanese anime shows?....YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!! Razz
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
That was a nice nod to NGE, kudo to the team that did this. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Awesome parody
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
That is amazing. Regular Show never fails to go the extra mile for a joke.

The main thing about why I enjoy Regular Show so much is that, for such an absurd and surreal series, it also takes time to develop its characters and make them all three-dimensional, as much as they might not seem that way at first. It would not be a highlight of Cartoon Network's programming for me if it didn't have that kind of depth.

Stuart Smith wrote:
A small step up from a parody of Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Speed Racer, or Pokemon, at least. Though expecting substantial references to anime that didn't air on American TV is pretty slim. I have to wonder how many hardcore fans of anime would even work in the western industry if they liked anime so much.

-Stuart Smith

I don't know if I'd be considered a hardcore anime fan, as I watch so little of it but I go to conventions and such, but western TV animation is where I aim to be.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
^ I actually felt it seemed pretty lazy. At least the song...monotone singing makes me wonder if they're trying to insult Japanese music...

I have to agree that the singing did sound a bit rushed, flat, and off-key.
I understand that it's a parody, but I think they could have spent a bit more time getting the voices warmed up.

Most of the main cast of Regular Show are not experienced voice actors (except for Mark Hamill), let alone singers, but mostly staff members of the show, for whom voice work is a bit of extra work. J.G. Quintel, the creator, provides a lot of the voicework himself.

This is somewhat common in modern American animated television; you can see that for South Park, Family Guy, Brickleberry, Adventure Time (and by extension Bravest Warriors), Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb, and so forth.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Very nice. I don't really watch Regular Show, but I'm happy that more Western animators are proud to acknowledge anime.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
There were about a dozen different mecha anime being referenced in that episode, not just NGE.

The opening cuts, edits, and character poses for the first 10-20 seconds look very close to NGE's opening but later on, it definitely more references to famous mecha shows in general, like Voltron, Gundam, Gurren Lagann, etc.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
When I saw this episode yesterday, I was smiling from start to finish. It was brilliant. XD
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
As a guy who watches both American and Japanese animation,I kinda liked the "Regular Show" parody of the "NGE" opening. In my opinion,"Evangelion" deserves to be parodied mostly because it's one of the darkest,gloomiest shows ever made. If there's an even darker show than this in Japan,I'd probably be surprised.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3