• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Gintama Season Mocks Bawling Japanese Politician

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Now this joke is million times more funnier now that I understand it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
So apparently, all that Nonomura was saying was Japanese for "I'm a sinner"? Wink
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks god I got this reference. I literally laughed my ass off. It came off
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
This was great! I love seeing humor like this come from anime, but you rarely see it. It's interesting to think about the reaction to this joke in contrast to how accustomed we are to this kind of political satire in U.S popular culture.
DanchouHaruhi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Knowing what this scene was referencing right away when I first saw it made the experience so much better. Laughing

Also, I didn't know Sugita Tomokazu can make that hilarious bawling voice. That was pretty awesome lol.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
This was great! I love seeing humor like this come from anime, but you rarely see it. It's interesting to think about the reaction to this joke in contrast to how accustomed we are to this kind of political satire in U.S popular culture.

I do agreed with you on that. I always wondered why anime rarely poke fun at Japanese politics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
WOW That was so freaking hilarious Anime hyper Great job by all.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Shame it was the high point of the episode. An extended snot gag has nothing on political satire.

mdo7 wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:

I do agreed with you on that. I always wondered why anime rarely poke fun at Japanese politics.

Beyond the usual stuff about a culture of deference etc, there's the real risk of being charged with defamation of character, which is a criminal as well as civil offense in Japan.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
That opening was hilarious, and the Shonen Jump staff should be proud. I'm such a political humor junkie that I've listened to BBC Radio's topical humor shows (if you think The Daily Show and the like are edgy, the BBC stuff can be scathing!) But apparently political satire is taboo in Japan. Good on Gintama for trying it out once in a while!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

Beyond the usual stuff about a culture of deference etc, there's the real risk of being charged with defamation of character, which is a criminal as well as civil offense in Japan.

Yes, I'm aware of that (along with other thing in Japan that is "deemed criminal" but should not be). That's the reason why political satire in anime is very rare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Haha, this is great. Gintama can be considered a rather satirical manga at times, so it really fits that they did this on the first episode.

When it comes to making fun of politics, the only other manga/anime that comes to mind is Zetsubou-sensei: I remember a few chapters where they even talked about a certain politician as if he was the devil incarnate.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, was that funny. Laughing
The politician was composed for one moment, then he was wailing like crazy in the next. That was a good laugh that I had with political matters in ages.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it was ok but they should have mirrored it perfectly from his head movements to the camera angles to the part he took a sip of water all the way to the background.

Now that would have been funny as hell and anyone who saw the real life event in the news would pick up on it right away.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
That was a great reference satire and a good way to start the show's airing... Wait, scratch that. It's a bad way to start the airing Laughing
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
This is hilarious! Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2