• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Takes 1-Week Hiatus [2015-04-09]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
Again after a heavy cliffhanger.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:41 am Reply with quote
Considering the ending of the latest chapter it's pretty sadistic to take another hiatus right now.
Drunk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:20 am Reply with quote
Oda has been taking a lot of 1-week-hiatuses in the last couple of months...
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:
Oda has been taking a lot of 1-week-hiatuses in the last couple of months...

I'd say more like within the last year or so.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
I still don't like calling this a hiatus. Calling it a hiatus looks bad for everything else that is actually on a hiatus.
Sorry, I'm just really nitpicky.
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:
I still don't like calling this a hiatus. Calling it a hiatus looks bad for everything else that is actually on a hiatus.

That's true. A 'Hiatus' makes it seem bad, when it's only one week off.

Oda usually takes break near the end of the month since the surgery a few years ago. Plus near the end of the month is Golden Week? I think. So it's that normal break he takes, plus Golden Week.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
Whatever avoids the HxH/Berserk situation. He needs his rest.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
First of all preparation for a climax chapter need time and do you want your writers to die of overwork:

Quote:
He wakes up at 5 am, works until 2 am (21 hours!) and sleeps from 2 am until 5 am (3 hours) on an average day.

This is inhuman as even my Miura "only" works for 16 hours a day with no time off or any real breaks. It´s even frowned in the japanese business world to go on holyday and i would be surprised if his daughter could describe her fathers in more than 10 sentences. Publishers need to rethink how they treat their golden cows but SJ was at least kind enough to "gift" him a trophy wife. http://orojackson.com/threads/10-things-you-should-know-about-eiichiro-oda.3877/
His life sounds very sad and as if he is driven by demons.
He needs to change to a monthly schedule to improve the quality of work and life and should starts doing real breaks as he is 40 and is only killing himself as is but he mentioned that he would never do long form work after One Piece ends (in 10+ years...).

The last 2 chapters though were the first actually good ones in years as i was about to drop the series after following if since 2001. Well done! spoiler[Gear 2: Chap 387 / Gear 4: Chap 783 Hm.]

Edit: Now with a spoiler tag and one week is no hiatus.
Mr. HxH is a very sick man btw. and his manga is a 9/10. Quality Takes Time.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:

I agree. I think a break in the serialization should be called 'hiatus' after it enters its 3rd consecutive week, with Togashi Yoshihiro's Hunter x Hunter currently leading the chart among Weekly Shōnen Jump's series.
yomanffgg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
spoiler[Well done! Gear 2: Chap 387 / Gear 4: Chap 783 Hm.]

Spoiler this please
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Im sure its perfectly understandable compared to you know who.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
It's a little strange to take a break, do one chapter, and then another break. But I suppose he can't exactly take a double issue off (even though they aren't much different from any other issue). What exactly does he do with himself on these breaks? We know what he does during a normal work week, but surely he doesn't do a schedule like that when doing "research". Besides, when these guys take a week off from an issue isn't it really the previous week they took off. If there's no chapter next week then he can't be actually taking that week off or else there wouldn't be a chapter the following week. I know some of these people will work on two issues at the same time so they really can take a holiday week off, but those are the ones with three or more assistants, I can't see Oda doing that.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't care that he takes a week off once a month because from his work style and how he sleeps he needs it. He does almost all the work himself with only a few assistants and they mostly do small work on the chapters. Along with his extremely limited sleep schedule and being a chain smoker I don't mind at all he takes breaks he needs it.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, Oda-sensei now sleeps around 5 hours a day; now much, but better than before and an acceptable amount I guess.

And I'm sure he has an awesome life, not a sad one as some people say; he lives making what he loves doing the most (and it shows in the manga, since One Piece is constantly great, if not more--I don't care about the complains, for me Dressrosa could become one of its best story arcs), and he also has a family now and many friends for sure, considering all the people he knows in the industry (fellow mangaka, seiyuu, ans so on).
So I don't understand the negativity. -__-'

And the fact he takes pauses regularly, lately, is a good sign since he also takes care of his health more now, unlike until a couple of years ago.

That said, I can't wait to read the next chapter!
The cliffhanger in the latest one of the things that make this ride worth riding, for One Piece fans. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
What I've noticed from Oda is that whenever he takes breaks, he ends on cliffhangers that definitely leaves the fans in suspense while they wait for those two weeks to finish. And from what I've seen in the chapters following the breaks, those chapters blow people out of their minds with the twists and story developments he throws in there. The battle in Dressrosa has been exciting and makes me more excited to see what will become of the One Piece world after it ends. And for spoiler[Luffy to finally have a technique such as Gear 4th that I would have never expected after the time skip] means that Oda does have new things in store for us, even after 15 years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2