• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Licenses Lupin III Vs. Detective Conan, Library Wars, Sonic X, Giant Gorg Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
They can't release a sub and dub version on the same disc, since most, if not all episodes have missing footage. It is possible that they can get the original version, but don't know if it is worth the effort.

A surprising amount of people do like the 4Kids version, along with those who don't like subs. So maybe it is worth going after them instead of us who prefer the uncut version.

Keep in mind, Discotek has done separate releases before. They did it with Samurai Pizza Cat and will be doing it for Monster Rancher. A lot of people were requesting the Japanese version on their Facebook and based off what was mentioned on Sonic Retro, the company is well aware of the demand for the Japanese version.

While there is a market for the dub, probably stronger than the Japanese version, I know for a fact Discotek would have an audience for the subtitled version. It's something that a lot of fans had been wanting for years. We finally got those Hulu streams and it's now time for us to be able to get it on DVD, subtitled. I'm honestly willing to wait a bit longer, as long as it means we'll eventually get it subtitled.

For the record, I always expected the dub to happen first before the Japanese version, since that's the primary market.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
The ADV dub is so much more superior. It's also laughable that these guys are still releasing DVD's and no Blu rays
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:

Quote:
Picking up the dub DVD set (or sets, I have no idea yet) when it comes out, first.

Thing is, they didn't say no outright, they just said for right now they want us to release the dub and just the dub.

It's completely different in every situation. My best guess is if the dub sells really well they'll eventually allow the subtitled version sometime later. I don't really know the details though. The licensor's marketing and legal people decide what is available and when.

I do know that if the dub set doesn't sell, the likelyhood of Discotek paying for the subtitled set will be much lower since subtitle sets don't sell as much and cost more to produce.

Well hopefully people buy it. It's dumb to ask for the dub to sell, since I don't even want the dub, so I will not buy that. It's all a "chance" thing when they say that too, but not everyone is made of money to get one in the hopes that the other will come over :/ I won't be buying dub-only, so yeah I hope they get that if it doesn't do well...
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
The ADV dub is so much more superior. It's also laughable that these guys are still releasing DVD's and no Blu rays

A lot of the stuff they release is extremely niche,which would make it risky to do blu-ray releases(along with them being a small company). I do see them doing a blu-ray release of 5cm down the road.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
No ADV dub? The nerve with tossing out what was already excellent to make a below average try on the dub, unless ADV lost the tracks. Well, guess I'll start looking for the original discs then.

even i'm pissed off about that. unless they was nothing they could do on getting the ADV dub. then i would be ok with it.

what i am not ok is unfortunately they licensing sonic x with that horrid crappy ass 4kids version. i would be more than ok if they were releasing it with subtitles and using the original script, but if they think that anyone will use their money to buy anything that have 4kids stench on it, they got another thing coming and its gonna hurt them in the wallets when sales tank like crazy save for the die hard sonic fans and little kids. i guess its back to the fansubs for everyone else in the otaku community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Giant Gorg??? The Giant Gorg??? Are you serious??? Well, that is a surpise. This is like 80's robot show gold for some who have probably never seen it. Now they'll have a chance to own it. This is old-time YAS. Now can we get Arion and maybe some Dennou Coil, and I'll be the happiest camper ever.

Before Arion we need a license rescue of Crusher Joe (the film and ovas).

As for Giant Gorg. AWO (Anime World Order) did a podcast about it some time ago (after having watched the entirety of the show). Let's say it was not really an endorsement for the anime.
You see, some anime get legendary status because no one has seen them. So word of mouth generally tends to amplify the good parts and neglect all the bad parts. Giant Gorg is in that phase. But AWO brought back a sense of reality to the anime. In other words it's nothing exceptional. Tending towards good/mediocre part of the scale. It is certainly not one of Yas best efforts.

I'll sound like a broken record but someone (C'mon Diskotek) needs to badly license rescue Crusher Joe. In my opinion Yas best anime (tv series and ovas) ever. Even topping Gundam.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Sonic X was a part of my childhood that I'd rather forget. But hey, I guess this might please Sonic fans if any of them even exist after Sonic Boom.

Oh, there definitely are. I'm one of them.

Sonic 2006 didn't destroy the fanbase, and in fact some fans of that game are starting to come out of the woodwork. Give it a few years; you're going to find a bunch of apologists for Sonic Boom too. It's part of the Sonic Cycle that, unfortunately, returned with Sonic Boom.

The show seems to be doing just fine in the ratings though.

Sheleigha wrote:
There seems to be A LOT of fan interest on thrir Facebook for it, so I hope that if they are able to get the rights to it that they will do it. I guess it's really a question of if they CAN get it, rather than low demand (since they print a super niche amount of stuff as is).

That, and Sonic is still a household name, so they could potentially sell to parents of little kids, which is where the Sonic series had traditionally had the bulk of its video game sales from.

MarshalBanana wrote:
A surprising amount of people do like the 4Kids version, along with those who don't like subs. So maybe it is worth going after them instead of us who prefer the uncut version.

Yeah, for some reason, Sonic fans really started warming up to Jason Griffith throughout the course of Sonic X's run. They REALLY did so with Mike Pollock as Dr. Eggman, but really, he's just plain a good actor.

And again, I think a dub release of Sonic X would do well if they can put it in the Family or Children's section of the home video shelves at Target, Wal•Mart, Best Buy, and the like. This is the rare anime series that has mainstream appeal.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
My high hopes are for a fully uncut subbed version of Sonic X on the DVD, which includes Sonic's Engrish "Shit!" in episode 3, the eyecatches, and the original on-screen kanji/text.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Nice pickups by Discotek. I love 80's mecha shows, so I'll probably check out Giant Gorg. Glad they got Library Wars as well.

Themaster20000 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

A lot of the stuff they release is extremely niche,which would make it risky to do blu-ray releases(along with them being a small company). I do see them doing a blu-ray release of 5cm down the road.

This is really my only gripe with Discotek. I guess the downside to all these lesser-known/older licences is that we don't get much blu-ray. I was disappointed they didn't do a FotNS movie or Venus Wars blu-ray.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
A few updates from Discotek on Sonic X:

Quote:
Main issue with the Japanese version is 4KIDS did the English subbed Hulu versions and never gave the subtitled scripts to the licensor. Someone would have to go through every episode and type out the subs and time them again. Also, the Japanese and English dubs don't synch so a dual audio set is not possible.

We will see how the dub release does then decide later on the subbed version. Need to see if it’s worth all the cost of subbing, materials costs, authoring, etc. This is a 78 episode series and also we are really busy with all the other titles we have licensed. Also we want to see how the subbed Monster Farm does compared to the dubbed version, that should be a good test.

I was already planning to buy their release of the dub so no problem there. Wasn't planning to buy Monster Farm though since I've never watched the Monster Rancher dub nor played any of the games but I'll buy that too when it's out. I want Sonic X in Japanese just as much as those asking for it and I would like for Discotek in the future to rescue certain Capcom game-based titles that never got uncut releases from previous companies (*coughADV&Vizcough*) along with a certain Toei series that actually was a success for 4Kids in the past so hopefully they both sell well enough so they can at least release the original version of this show.
Sega Saturn Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
Giant Gorg is a show I never thought I'd see in North America. Discotek is my favorite anime company by far. Didn't bandai try to release it in the early to mid 2000's?
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
My high hopes are for a fully uncut subbed version of Sonic X on the DVD, which includes Sonic's Engrish "Shit!" in episode 3, the eyecatches, and the original on-screen kanji/text.

ah i saw that too and that was clearly a fansub i'm afraid. and in the event they do release and uncut english sub version it definitely wouldnt have that since its the wrong translation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
As for Giant Gorg. AWO (Anime World Order) did a podcast about it some time ago (after having watched the entirety of the show). Let's say it was not really an endorsement for the anime.
You see, some anime get legendary status because no one has seen them. So word of mouth generally tends to amplify the good parts and neglect all the bad parts. Giant Gorg is in that phase. But AWO brought back a sense of reality to the anime. In other words it's nothing exceptional. Tending towards good/mediocre part of the scale. It is certainly not one of Yas best efforts.

Okay, but a great counterpoint would be the utter praise Giant Gorg gets from the likes of Dave Merril (who covered the show in detail on his blog back in 2008) or even Tim Eldred (who included it as one of his choices for Best Anime of the 80s on the ANNCast Revenge of the 80s episodes).

Just because Gerald from AWO didn't like it means that it's instantly not all its cracked up to be. That was just his opinion, much like how Dave & Tim's love for Gorg are their opinions.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
The podcast didn't make it sound like they wholly disliked it, just that it was in the same sort of situation as Zeta Gundam where the few people who had seen it touted it as something more amazing than it really was. Still, it's great to have more older anime available for purchase, and this only being 26 episodes makes it easier to get through than most mecha of the early 80s.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The podcast didn't make it sound like they wholly disliked it, just that it was in the same sort of situation as Zeta Gundam where the few people who had seen it touted it as something more amazing than it really was. Still, it's great to have more older anime available for purchase, and this only being 26 episodes makes it easier to get through than most mecha of the early 80s.

Having more mecha available is never bad. At the very least we're getting something new, never seen by the vast unwashed masses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6