• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Threatens Sarin Gas Attack on Akihabara as April Fools' 'Joke'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninja noir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
This guy is an idiot. So irresponsible and insensitive. Are any kind of charges going to be pressed against this guy? (Prison is a bit harsh I think.)
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
I agree with a lot of the commenters on this site. This wasn't funny. I hesitate to even call it a joke. This was a crass and insensitive thing to do,especially considering what happened there. And to Madoka...AYUKAWA! saying that Americans should get over our terrorism paranoia,if your people lost 3,000 innocents in one day,and continue to be targets of terrorism before and since that time because of one reason or another,the main one being that we don't practice a certain faith,i.e. Islam,then yeah,we might not take a subject like terrorism lightly.
Maybe this AYUKAWA! person would like to explain this to the families of the 9/11 or Boston bombing victims. I doubt he or she would have the guts to say that to their faces and risk not being called out for the insensitive lout he or she is.
partially

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
thennarynak wrote:
Talk about tasteless insensitivity.

I wonder if he will end up being charged for something, seeing as the authorities took his joke seriously enough.

I think that such a threat should put him into custody.

Not sure about the law in Japan. However in a lot of countries death threats will put you in criminal proceedings. People need to realise you can't joke about this kind of stuff. Threats of this kind, even as a 'joke', will get you a record at minimum. Which makes getting a job not so easy.

For those saying people are butthurt and taking this too seriously. Think of it this way. Are the police just meant to sit around every time there is a threat going, "well it is probably just a joke. Why don't we sit on our arse and ignore it, we will know it is real if it happens."? No they can't, they are obligated to respond.

Mobilising armed squads as they did here is not cheap. Runs into the 10s of thousands of dollars. And they are meant to then sit back and go, "oh it was a joke, silly us for using so many tax dollars, we shouldn't be butthurt about it."?
sWiTcHKun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:20 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I agree with a lot of the commenters on this site. This wasn't funny. I hesitate to even call it a joke. This was a crass and insensitive thing to do,especially considering what happened there. And to Madoka...AYUKAWA! saying that Americans should get over our terrorism paranoia,if your people lost 3,000 innocents in one day,and continue to be targets of terrorism before and since that time because of one reason or another,the main one being that we don't practice a certain faith,i.e. Islam,then yeah,we might not take a subject like terrorism lightly.
Maybe this AYUKAWA! person would like to explain this to the families of the 9/11 or Boston bombing victims. I doubt he or she would have the guts to say that to their faces and risk not being called out for the insensitive lout he or she is.

America? Terrorism? Please tell me if terrorism acted out by foreign terrorists ever happened on American soil in the last century or so. And no, 9/11 doesn't count.

Mainstream Americans continue to believe they must fight in foreign land and stop bastards like Al Qaeda and ISIS, or they would strike their own soil. They're stupid, because such a thing never happened before since the 19th century, if memory serves me right.

9/11 is very controversial because there are a various holes and questions as to why it even happened. First of all, if you believe planes could turn perfectly engineered buildings like the twin towers to fall into rubble, then you're an idiot.

For some reason, security allowed a small crate of bombs to get into the building, up to a floor using an elevator, and none of the staff even realized such a big, obvious, suspicious cargo is even in the building for a couple of days. Tell me, how do you conceal such a big crate of bombs in a building? And if they can't do it during the day, how did they sneak it in during the night? Not to mention security cameras are everywhere in the building.

You're telling me, this was all done by foreign terrorists? You're telling me, Osama Bin Laden is a liar for telling the world he didn't do it?

And you're also telling me the whole point of the War on Terror was an actual war to punish evil?

Give me a break! Let's go back to the 1940s. America was in a state of depression and they wanted to join in the fun in the second war world. But hey, they're not under attack and why would citizens want to go to war? They needed a motive. So they decided to provoke the Japanese by cutting off their only supply for oil and raw materials. Their provocation was a success and they knew Japan was going to attack Pearl Harbor. The Generals kept it a secret from the Government and boom, Attack on Pearl Harbor happened. Obviously, the military gained huge funds and it motivated the people to join the war.

Sounds familiar? This is technically the same tactic used for War on Terror. America needed oil, and people obviously don't want to go to war in foreign countries without a reason or motive. So what's the best way to give a reason? Kill your own people and blame it on some foreign terrorist group!

Do I believe 9/11 was orchestrated by the Government? I don't know because I don't have enough evidence. Again, it's a conspiracy theory and there isn't enough evidence to suggest it was orchestrated by the Government. But my suspicions are high.

So back to the topic, it's a stupid joke, yes. I laughed because so many people are taking it so seriously and making a big deal out of it. Ayukawa is completely correct. CALM YOUR ASSES.

Last edited by sWiTcHKun on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:29 am; edited 2 times in total
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:25 am Reply with quote
Every part of that post was amazing.
sWiTcHKun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
thennarynak wrote:
Talk about tasteless insensitivity.
I wonder if he will end up being charged for something, seeing as the authorities took his joke seriously enough.

Kadmos1 wrote:
I think that such a threat should put him into custody.

partially wrote:
Not sure about the law in Japan. However in a lot of countries death threats will put you in criminal proceedings. People need to realise you can't joke about this kind of stuff. Threats of this kind, even as a 'joke', will get you a record at minimum. Which makes getting a job not so easy.

For those saying people are butthurt and taking this too seriously. Think of it this way. Are the police just meant to sit around every time there is a threat going, "well it is probably just a joke. Why don't we sit on our arse and ignore it, we will know it is real if it happens."? No they can't, they are obligated to respond.

Mobilising armed squads as they did here is not cheap. Runs into the 10s of thousands of dollars. And they are meant to then sit back and go, "oh it was a joke, silly us for using so many tax dollars, we shouldn't be butthurt about it."?

{I'm giving you a mulligan for over-quoting. ~nobahn}
At least the Japanese police forces are doing something productive. The Japanese police are known to be obsolete, useless, and outright stupid/dumb.

I rather have the Canadian police or the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) train them to be better cops.

I remember reading an article where some naked foreign guy was running around some city in Japan, he went into a river and there was like... 50 policemen with batons or riot shields surrounding him. Seriously, do you honestly need 30~50 policemen/women to handcuff one guy? If this was the OPP, you'd only need up to 10 guys to take him down.

Last edited by sWiTcHKun on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why 9/11 needed to be refernced in anyway as it has no relivance to this article as its a completely different kettle of fish.

Anyways, this is a difficult one as I agree this was very tasteless and I don't see how anyone could have found this funny at the time and I have a very dark humour, but this isn't too much different to jokes TV shows put on i.e. People being 'held' at gunpoint for a tv host to pop out and shout "we got you". I guess because its in a controlled environment and law enforcement wouldn't have to waste time and money it doesn't cross boundaries. Also here in the UK a group decided to play a joke with an Ebola outbreak in the London Underground; this was quite poorly done but its not much different in the fact that it caused panic in a public area.

My personal opinion is the guy shouldn't go to prison but should be cautioned which will mature him as well as with the knowledge that his actions wasted police time and monies as well as created panic in which those people didn't find funny.

Switch-Kun, i would normally agree with you as I find most people take things too seriously but I think you are missing the bigger picture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:29 am Reply with quote
Idiots like this need to be made an example of.

This wasted police time, it wasted public money, it impacted on businesses in the area and spoiled people's day.

Saying "Ha ha april fool" is not a defence.

Every time some moron on the internet does this kind of thing, they need to be made fully aware of the consequences of their actions.
partially

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
My personal opinion is the guy shouldn't go to prison but should be cautioned which will mature him as well as with the knowledge that his actions wasted police time and monies as well as created panic in which those people didn't find funny.

No he won't go to prison. It would have to be a seriously meant threat for that.

Usually what this sort of thing results in is a record and a person who is suddenly deeply in debt. They can and do make the person involved foot the bill for this sort of thing. Same as what happens with an ambulance. If you involve emergency services in a situation that doesn't call for it. Depending on how it is handled you are often the one to foot the bill.

And you can be pretty sure that someone dumb enough to make this sort of joke, is probably unlikely to be in a financial situation to easily foot the possible incoming bill.

Just remember kids, if you are going to make a "joke" using emergency services. At least have the brain power to make it anonymously. Posting it with your personal twitter makes it clear where to send the bill to.

TsunaReborn! wrote:
but this isn't too much different to jokes TV shows put on i.e. People being 'held' at gunpoint for a tv host to pop out and shout "we got you". I guess because its in a controlled environment and law enforcement wouldn't have to waste time and money it doesn't cross boundaries. Also here in the UK a group decided to play a joke with an Ebola outbreak in the London Underground; this was quite poorly done but its not much different in the fact that it caused panic in a public area.

There is a very big hidden side to this sort of stuff though. It isn't that infrequent that this sort of stuff goes too far in terms of the law. And behind the scenes there are often big penalties, lawsuits, etc involved. The thing is, they are very rarely made public by the company involved, because that would look very bad for them. I would be very surprised if the Ebola outbreak stunt did not result in some big fines for those involved.

To actually be able to do they stunt, they would have had to have had approval from the council, and the underground authorities. And I would be certain that neither of them would have allowed the stunt. The only place that they could possibly got away with it would be in a privately owned space. Hence why most of the time when "reality" shows pull this sort of stuff it is completely scripted in a non-public area.

Basically anything on television will be carefully vetted and controlled. And if it is in a public space, legality will be very carefully checked over first and all permissions from authority sought. The type of stunts that usually go too far are done by radio stations and private groups or individuals. The type of people that point and say, look they did it on TV, it must be okay. Don't believe all you see on TV kids, and if you do, just make sure you are rich first.
consignia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:

No he won't go to prison. It would have to be a seriously meant threat for that.

Perhaps worth pointing out, but in the UK people have been sentenced under terrorism laws for making joke threats on twitter. I thought it was a custodial sentence, but perhaps wasn't that strong looking around.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:20 am Reply with quote
There's stupid people, there's really stupid people, and then there's this jackass.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
Okay, people, this is a warning to stop derailing the thread with rants about 9/11 and America's War on Terrorism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
I arrived in Tokyo, Japan from America on the exact same day. That's some scary stuff right there.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
So, long-story short - an emo-esque Tweeter user pulled hot air out of his/her pants to make a joke and/or a "name" for themselves.
Rolling Eyes

Why poeple don't just post pictures of them with their pants hang-low and playing it "gangsta', y'all"? Seems like a safer way to get the message across.
Korogoro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad no one is blaming this on Zankyou no Terror because everyone always does that, blame anime for something some stupid dude did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3