• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - Less Fanboying Is More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

There's a chunk of anime fandom that doesn't pay for anything they watch--many casual anime fans would fall into this group too. It may very well be that ANN members here--many of whom actually buy DVDs/BDs, from what I gather--would be considered the minority in anime fandom. But we should probably not include those download-happy types when discussing sales. If we stick strictly to those who do actually buy BD/DVDs, then we can surmise that anime-buying fandom is significant and notable but obviously the average anime title would still never move even close to the same number of units as a DVD/BD of an average mediocre-selling American movie.

Aside from people that used Netflix along with anime fans that pay for subscription like Hulu Plus, Crunchyroll, and other premium streaming service that do anime services. I'll agreed that streaming is making it easier for people to watch anime online. But there are other problems why there are less people buying physical disc:

-Anime DVDs/BDs being overpriced: Not counting Funimation, Sentai, and NIS America (which has a good record of not overpricing their anime products like you seen in Japan). I think you're already familiar with Aniplex America and now Pony Canyon USA and the pricing issue.

-Anime becoming too saturated to otaku: I mean most (maybe half) of the anime coming out these day are moe, lolicon, and ecchi with mediocre to no plot and less on innovative plotline (aside from some recent hit titles like Attack on Titan, Space Dandy, etc...). I guess the over-saturation of moe, lolicon, and over the top fanservice in ecchi could be turning off some of the fanbase of anime. Just a little disclaimer: I used to be a big fan of ecchi and harem anime, but I got tired of it after the plotline being too similar. That's why I don't watch much anime as I used to in the past. I do miss the old day.

-fans issue with the industry: I hope the stories of grueling human right violations in anime studios are not turning off some fans from watching anime. I mean there are anime fans that are very concern about how anime industry don't take human right for animators. Giving these 2 recent articles, I wouldn't be surprised if some fans no longer want to watch anime out of moral concern (ie: as in "If I continue to watch or buy anime, then I'm literally supporting human right abuse because the animators in Japan are overworked to death and not being paid enough and my money does not end up going to them, they go to the greedy CEOs and production committees. So I may quit watching or supporting anime if they don't give the animator the pay and love they deserved.")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7:

#2 is directly related to #1; namely, in that the sort of people most likely to pay the high prices needed to get a series made tend to be otaku. If you ever want to have an influence on what's made, stop whining and start buying!
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
@mdo7:

#2 is directly related to #1; namely, in that the sort of people most likely to pay the high prices needed to get a series made tend to be otaku. If you ever want to have an influence on what's made, stop whining and start buying!

Yeah well I don't buy a lot these day BTW. And as I said I'm very concern about #3. As I said on another thread:

I wrote:

Part of me wants to help the anime industry. But at the same time, the other part of me don't want to support a industry that pay "slave wages" to animators that put a lot of hard work and effort into making these wonderful animation. So this is a big moral dilemma.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:
Justin, you have to share more stories of your time at CPM, this is fascinating, fascinating stuff.

Not to worry. That well runs deep. This column is basically going to be like Stand Alone Complex: there will be stand-alone eps from other contributors, and ones that will eventually come together into something that might resemble a cohesive autobiography of my time in the business.

Excellent. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5