• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Anime Expo Location vs Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I also wouldn't have minded had it been moved to San Diego.

There's no way that AX would have been able to afford the SDCC. Comic-con has the Hollywood sponsors and such that AX lacks.

As for safety, I can't help but think that everyone is overreacting. I used to live in that area (and I still visit frequently), and seriously, it's not that dangerous. And before everyone starts pounding me with their little anecdotes ("Well, I know someone who's sister knew someone who got mugged"), bad things can happen ANYWHERE. Anaheim and Long Beach aren't completely safe, either. Don't walk alone at night (which shouldn't be done in ANY city, really), etc, etc, and everyone should be fine.

And I'm not sure when "homeless" became synonymous with dangerous. Apparently I missed the memo on that one.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
But beside the personnel issues Long Beach is still probably better then LA don't you think? Hell I wouldn't mind having AX at LBC on the fourth of July weekend, although I would like it to be Anaheim more then anything. I actually perfer if AX wasn't during the fourth of July, I've got friends and family that I rather hang out with. It be nice if the convention was before/after the holiday.

My situation with Long Beach worked out fine this year if you're talking about work, because me and my colleague took our vacation for the weekend add a day or two. Not only that, but I got to work on July 4th which means I get paid time and a half on top of recieving vacation pay for the holiday. Aside from the issues I had with AX itself, I will agree with you on that part of the subject. AX is going back to 4th of July schedule, but if I'm not mistaken that's during the middle of the week. I can probably ask for a couple of days off, but I am definetly not staying at a hotel there like I did for Long Beach. Even that was a little shaky. People will hate me for this but I prefer Anaheim mostly because I live ten minutes via car drive from the convention center. I don't want to go to LA mostly because of my belief, and it's a very strong belief of what we can expect should people wander off into areas that they shouldn't be in.
pandax06

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention that LACC parking is ridiculous. I went to Hot Imports Night last year and me and my buddie spent about an hour looking for our parking spot Anime dazed.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
kuni_kuni wrote:
There's no way that AX would have been able to afford the SDCC. Comic-con has the Hollywood sponsors and such that AX lacks.

So tell me the difference between the SDCC and the LACC. How could they not get the SDCC?
Nermal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah parking at the LACC was not very fun for me in the past; I got there around 8:30am for E3 2 years ago and ended up parking on some ghetto street a mile away since I didn't want to pay $40/day for the closer lot on Figueroa. I got there the next day at 6am and was able to park by South Hall with no problems.

If the 4th of July falls on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, then I'd say the con schedule does matter to me equally with the venue since it reduces the number of days I'd have to take off. Otherwise, I'd rather have a convenient venue with nearby hotels/eateries in safe walking distance no matter what weekend it falls on.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of people are overracting to the danger of LA. It's not like there are tons of people lurking in the dark and waiting to get you. Just go with a buddy and you should be fine, plus with the convention there's gonna be tons of people around. And if you have a car, that makes traveling a lot safer.

As for places to eat, there is gonna plenty of places that will open till 4am in the morning because of all the club hopper at that time. And if you want places to go, eat, drink, dance and have fun after the convention, head down to hollywood for the club, shows and bars. There are tons of people going to hollywood every weekend and you can expect "rush hour" traffic around 12PM midnight.

For tourist though, taking a cab might be expensive so go with a lot of people and split the bill to get to their hotel. Just plan out your trip and don't go solo and it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by hagakure|returns on Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShrapnelCruz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I agree with most here, I think it doesn't matter when the event should be held. The venue should be changed. The Expo this year was a disaster -_-

and I'd expect the same out of LACC next years as from all the things mentioned already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
belligerent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
If it were on a different weekend and a less crappy venue, I would go. Hotels, I've heard, are going to be an issue. (well, an issue again, really...)

Next year? Not planning on going. This year was terrible. I don't expect any of the problems that popped up this year will suddenly be solved by moving to a venue that's even less desirable in many ways. Chase Wang seems to put the blame mostly on the fact that the staff was not familiar with Long Beach vs. Anaheim. Orly? So that means switching to LACC will fix everything?

Call me a pessimist, but I doubt it.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
belligerent wrote:
Chase Wang seems to put the blame mostly on the fact that the staff was not familiar with Long Beach vs. Anaheim. Orly? So that means switching to LACC will fix everything?

Call me a pessimist, but I doubt it.

That's a good point when Zac would mention how something didn't start or was canceled Mr. Wang answer was well were not used to the LBC. I don't think LACC will fix that, and no I don't think your being pessimistic.

P.S. People are still using Orly?
belligerent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
If I used it, the intarwebs as a community probably stopped using it at least two years ago. I'm always late to these parties!
Cat's Eye Cafe Dishwasher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Regarding days off: This was actually the first AX where I took days off to attend. Last year, with the fourth on a Tuesday and the Expo starting on Saturday, my office had Monday off. This year, I had to take off both Friday and Monday; go to work on Tuesday; then have Wednesday off.

Regarding LACC: I agree that many of the complaints here and elsewhere on the 'Net are exaggerated. Based on my last trip to the LACC (last month), I think the success of the con will depend on: (a) the staff and volunteers orienting themselves to the new venue a sufficient time before the Expo to deal with the learning curve; (b) cutting deals with nice downtown hotels (such as the Wilshire Grand, the nicest hotel within walking distance,; the Bonaventure, which is mondo cool; and the New Otani, which will be otaku and cosplay-shoot paradise) for affordable convention rates, and to permit attendees to sit in public areas after-hours; and (c) the shuttle service working.

Remember, until about a decade ago -- before the Gaslamp District was gentrified -- San Diego Comic-Con was held in a downtown municipal area that made LACC look like, well, Disneyland. It succeeded in part because of the shuttle service and the cooperation of local hotels.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow. At this rate, I'll never go to AX. D: Every year I try to go, but some thing always stops me (this year it's the Comic Con; I'd be broke if I went to AX this year). Now that they changed to the LACC, I'm not going next year either. I'm not worried about safety--I go into downtown a lot to visit Kinokuniya--it's just that parking is a bitch and as someone mentioned earlier, LA drivers are beyond rude. Mad Unless I can get a ride to the LACC for 4 days, there's no way I'm going...

EDIT: I forgot to mention the nasty traffic on the freeways too. Ick. Too much trouble for one con.
Bivinz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
I went to AX 2007 and I also got the chance to see the location of where they want the next AX to be.

And here I must say... SCREW TRADITION.

How in the world can they expect people who cosplay and small children to survive going from hotels a good distance away from the LACC to there through ghetto L.A.???

Just think about all the muggings and other stuff that will undoubtedly happen.

I think they're out of their minds. Especially since a couple friends of mine were on staff at AX 07 and told me all the intricate details of what was really going on.

So yea. I, and most of the AX 07 staff, is in favor of moving AX 08 back a week and holding it in Anaheim again.

...Those freakin shriners... (booking the anaheim con center for the next 5 years)
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Bivinz wrote:

...Those freakin shriners... (booking the anaheim con center for the next 5 years)

Don't blame the Shriners. They're just playing the game.

The way the game should be played.
malikchan17

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Bivinz wrote:

Don't blame the Shriners. They're just playing the game.

The way the game should be played.

Who are the Shriners?

And I say they're smart for booking ACC 5 years in advance, Also I read that the ACC is bigger than both LACC and LBCC, so why can't the ACC be shared? Is the Shriner thing too big or something?

I don't mind LA that much, it's just that the crazy homeless freak me out (yay late night visits to Little Tokyo). I just want a hotel that's close by, because I can bring food.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3