• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Host Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' Film's World Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball is one of those dubs that people will always like because they most likely saw it when they were children and first getting into anime. I personally dislike it, but a lot of bad dubs are fondly remembered due to nostalgia so it makes sense that people do like it. There was a huge outcry when Viz redid the Sailor Moon dub after all. Nostalgia is very hard to fight against even if something isn't very faithful objectively.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I can freely admit that the old dub had some issues but they've dubbed the entire show over so many times that there's no real point in watching the old one. Now that they actually have proper Japanese material and generally have a better idea of what they're doing, the dub's quality has increased dramatically. No more is that obvious than in Battle of Gods which sounds amazing.

Kadmos1 wrote:
I think that for some of penguintruth's complaints of a dubbed show, I might want to do the same of a subbed show.
The Japanese voice acting in Future Diary is some of the goofiest I've ever heard. I haven't seen Funi's dub in its entirety but from the clips I've seen I think I should have waited for the dub.

I mean, you put a squealing cat up against Brina Palencia and tell me which one I'd prefer and it's pretty obvious who I'd pick. I also don't really get the complaints about the dub's 'goofy dialogue' given the original wasn't exactly Breaking Bad tier.

How did I do?
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Vennex wrote:
I think I'll wait for the dub patiently, the Japanese voices for dBz make me laugh so much that I can't take it seriously.

this
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I can freely admit that the old dub had some issues but they've dubbed the entire show over so many times that there's no real point in watching the old one. Now that they actually have proper Japanese material and generally have a better idea of what they're doing, the dub's quality has increased dramatically. No more is that obvious than in Battle of Gods which sounds amazing[

I'm not disputing that. I was very impressed with the English dub of Battle of Gods and I imagine the English dub of this will be good, too. My problem is that people are so unwilling to give the original Japanese cast of DBZ a chance because they've been so brainwashed by nostalgia for what they grew up watching on Toonami.

The Japanese cast are almost all celebrated veterans who were already considered amazing BEFORE DB was animated, nevermind their internationally beloved performances in this franchise. I would be delighted to have the chance to watch this movie in Japanese in the theaters (though I don't live in the area this is premiering, so that's out).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I shall wait...FOR THE BLU-RAY! Since the english dub is getting released quickly this time, I think I can expect a home video release before the end of the year if there are no setbacks.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
One thing's for sure: Having grown up with the dubs shown on Toonami, Goku's Japanese voice sounds incredibly jarring. And because I saw One Piece's Punk Hazard arc in Japanese subbed before hearing Frieza in Japanese, I just associate that actor with Caesar Clown before anyone else.

GATSU wrote:
I guess FUNi decided to snatch it up earlier, instead of waiting another year to negotiate w/ FOX, and fighting off fansubbers, to boot. Cool

My guess is that since they already wrangled with Fox for Battle of Gods and won, Resurrection "F" became much easier. That's the thing with entertainment business contacts: Once you've spoken, it becomes much easier to get ahold of them and get what you want out of them.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many 9000 lines will mentioned by the fans.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I can freely admit that the old dub had some issues but they've dubbed the entire show over so many times that there's no real point in watching the old one. Now that they actually have proper Japanese material and generally have a better idea of what they're doing, the dub's quality has increased dramatically. No more is that obvious than in Battle of Gods which sounds amazing.

Do they still censor Mr. Satan and Roshi? Ever dub scene I've seen for Roshi tones down his perverted antics from motorboating tits to wanting a kiss. Looking at Xenoverse footage also shows me they still call Mr. Satan "Hercule"

I wont comment on the voices because the cast has changed so many times I have no idea who voices who as of right now.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
OK, I'll bite: Exactly what do you mean by that?

============================================

penguintruth wrote:
I sure can't wait for people to bitch it isn't their precious Funimation English dub cast.

They'll get to it eventually, Resurrection of FFS. It takes time and I'm sure it'll be just as good as BoG's dub was (and it was quite good).

Meanwhile, bask in the talents of Masako Nozawa, Ryo Horikawa, and Toshio Furukawa.
Themaster20000,SquadmemberRitsu & Rinkwolf:
If you really do find penguintruth's comments as odious as you make out, then report the comment. Or PM a(n) moderator/admin.

But the pot shots stop now.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm not disputing that. I was very impressed with the English dub of Battle of Gods and I imagine the English dub of this will be good, too. My problem is that people are so unwilling to give the original Japanese cast of DBZ a chance because they've been so brainwashed by nostalgia for what they grew up watching on Toonami.
The Japanese cast are almost all celebrated veterans who were already considered amazing BEFORE DB was animated, nevermind their internationally beloved performances in this franchise. I would be delighted to have the chance to watch this movie in Japanese in the theaters (though I don't live in the area this is premiering, so that's out).
I understand where you're coming from, but I assume that this is a business decision. For many movies (Ex. Evangelion 3.0), FUNimation has done a Dub/Sub movie run, so what sets this movie apart? Well, just take a look at how FUNimation has handled DBZ; DBZ is handled completely different from any other property they have, and that includes DB and GT, and it's because it is "mainstream." The season sets are cropped because that's what the "mainstream consumer" wanted. DBZ draws in more people than just those that watch anime.

What I'm getting at: While there may be a group of people that would go watch the movie subbed in the theater, it would be in FUNimation's best interest, business-wise, to do a dub-only run to get to all of the people out there that want to see it in as many full rooms as possible. For DBZ, the screenings for the subtitled version might not come close to filling up, which is something that might not be worth the expense, so instead of doing it, that same screening would be for the dub which is more likely to have butts in seats (For DBZ, anyway). For Evangelion 3.0's run, there were plenty of people going to see both the subbed and the dubbed showings (at least, from what I saw in the local theater), but that almost 1:1 ratio would probably turn into something more along the lines of a 5:1 ratio for a DBZ movie.

If anything else, try e-mailing FUNimation (or submitting a request through whatever service they'll be using for the run) to see if your local theater could screen it subtitled. A theater in my area screened Battle of Gods because the local game-store owner got enough people to sign aboard to get it . . . before that, I had to drive more than two hours just to see Evangelion 3.0 and From Up on Poppy Hill. It may not succeed, but it's worth a shot.

TL;DR
DBZ's main audience in North America is more likely to prefer a dubbed showing than a subbed showing, as opposed to previous movie runs that are sometimes split. Why? The audience is more "mainstream" (I kinda hate that word) and will most likely prefer the dubbed to the subbed, making it a better financial decision to do a dub-only run. Try equating that decision to the decision on cropping the BDs; Same reasoning.

Also, it just says that the summer run will have the dub, not that it'll be dub-only. Unless the FUNimation press-release says something different, that doesn't rule out the potential for a subtitled showing.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
OK, I'll bite: Exactly what do you mean by that?

he's wondering how many people are going to repeat that stupid power lever line due to the new movie
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

he's wondering how many people are going to repeat that stupid power lever line due to the new movie

You mean that stupid power-level dub-only mistake line.

{Please refrain from excessive quoting. I edited your post for you. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
whatever man, it's still annoying
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Though I find it odd that anybody would find the voices of Piccolo, Vegeta, or Freeza to be especially funny.

You just haven't seen Weekly Tube Show, that's all. Cool

leafy: I just wonder how many more movies are allowed to be made under FOX's deal with Shueisha. And whether or not they still have an option on any future live-action films.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
If you really do find penguintruth's comments as odious as you make out, then report the comment. Or PM a(n) moderator/admin.

The thing is, penguintruth was acting really obnoxious but there wasn't anything to actually report him for. He wasn't breaking any specific rules that could be cited in a post report. I would've reported him myself had I believed that something concrete would have been done about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4