• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Astro Boy Has International Live-Action Film In the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Which happened on Region 3 (Korea)... only the first half of the series though.

I've seen the subbed episodes. They actually did a pretty good job. I wonder why they didn't do the rest of the series?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
F-Man wrote:
"Tezuka Productions is pretty happy-go-lucky about selling adaptation licenses,

So they are willing to milk some of their franchises while they remain in development limbo?
Tetranet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
And the attempts to milk Japanese IPs continue. I don't see why anyone that cares about manga and anime would support this BS. Each live-action hollywood adaptation is a blow to the studios in Japan.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Tetranet wrote:
And the attempts to milk Japanese IPs continue. I don't see why anyone that cares about manga and anime would support this BS. Each live-action hollywood adaptation is a blow to the studios in Japan.

Aren't the japanese studios culpable considering they license their ips out to used as American studios see fit?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Tetranet wrote:

People used to say that about films adapted from American comic books, when the best we got were the Joel Schumacher Batman movies and transparent toy cash-ins. In addition, people said that about films adapted from TV shows when we got stuff like The Brady Bunch. People also used to say that about films adapted from novels, as so much was removed from the books that they were a shell of their original selves.

By the way, I did like Larry and Andy Wachowski's take on Speed Racer. And while I found the Imagi Astro Boy to not be that great, it was still enjoyable. Edge of Tomorrow got rave reviews too; it just did poorly at the box office in North America. And The Ring was quite the sensation, as was 2014's Godzilla.

But yes, as mentioned above, if you cannot stand Hollywood adapting something Japanese in origin, the Japanese license-holders would be at least partially to blame for selling the rights in the first place. In the end, it's all about money, both within Japan and without.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

But yes, as mentioned above, if you cannot stand Hollywood adapting something Japanese in origin, the Japanese license-holders would be at least partially to blame for selling the rights in the first place. In the end, it's all about money, both within Japan and without.

The Japanese and other Asian countries aren't any better when they adapt anime/manga into live-action. I didn't like the live-action Negima TV drama. I'm currently watching a J-drama on CR which was based on a manga, and it doesn't hold up really well. So it doesn't really matter which country adapt anime/manga into live-action, it can turn out bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I actually enjoyed the new Godzilla film. Heck, even Toho's head gave his approval,

The following links do confirm this: aintitcool.com/node/67271, deadshirt.net/2014/05/19/godzilla-a-two-headed-monster-review,

To me, even if many people hate it, I think the director should feel honored that the head of a major Japanese studio gives their blessing that they enjoyed the film.

I could be wrong, but I think Toho gets a certain percentage of the profits that Godzilla's (2014) box office profits (not counting what it made in Japan).
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
I'm still waiting for a subbed release of the 2003 anime. Sad

You and me, both.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually enjoyed the new Godzilla film. Heck, even Toho's head gave his approval,

Well, that's not really saying very much. Of course the guy is going to say he likes it, it's his company's character! Saying he didn't like it would be horrible for their image, considering how much promotional material and merchandise came of for the film. I wouldn't be surprised if they got at least some of the profits from the film, so they want it to be successful.

Keep in mind, it wasn't until Final Wars that they finally took any pot-shots at the 99' Godzilla. When Godzilla 99' came out, while the American critics may have ravaged it (and even that is a bit of an exaggeration, as from what i remember, the film got more middle-of-the-road-reviews when it came out), the Japanese creators didn't really say anything.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's pretty bad PR to trash an adaption like that. Burning bridges is never a good idea. Even Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, when asked about the American movies/cartoons/CD I games based on Mario and Zelda, just said "At the time our American subsidiary was giving away a lot of our licences, and we eventually decided had them stop doing that. I decided I want to be involved with how it happens in future now" Which is probably as close as you'll get.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Somebody never saw "Guardians of the Galaxy."

I have no business watching a movie based on a comic book I don't read or like

Most people, who saw it and liked it, haven't read --let alone liked, since they haven't even read it-- the comic book it's based on. Even comic book fans.

Heck, I'd daresay most people haven't even heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before the movie came out.
The movie was made to be without that requirement.

I'm sure you've watched anime too that you haven't read the original work it's based from.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Last I remembered, Christopher Nolan had no involvement with The Matrix. It's been made pretty clear, though, from this and past conflicts here, that you have a pretty strong bias against modern western film. That you say things like "Oh yeah, I went there!" suggests that you aim to provoke people who LIKE watching western film (which is most of the rest of us) and take pride in it.

Why do you do this? I'll accept that there is absolutely nothing Hollywood (well, Burbank mostly nowadays) will produce now and in the future that you'll like, but in return, you must accept that the vast majority of people who visit this site, and the subset of people who read the threads have had at least one western film made in the past 25 years that they liked.

He sounds like those old anime fogeys: anime was so much better back in my day when it was badass cool before it turned all uguu and imouto! Twisted Evil

theNightster wrote:

if it didn't work out with a CG movie what makes you think a live action one will do any better?

Well, people are more willing to watch live-action movies (augmented by 3DCG) than completely animated, even 3DCG-animated.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Tetranet wrote:

Aren't the japanese studios culpable considering they license their ips out to used as American studios see fit?

Yeah, if Japan was gonna do it, they would've already done it, instead of waiting for Western studios.

Eldritcho wrote:
Quote:

Well, that's not really saying very much. Of course the guy is going to say he likes it, it's his company's character! Saying he didn't like it would be horrible for their image, considering how much promotional material and merchandise came of for the film. I wouldn't be surprised if they got at least some of the profits from the film, so they want it to be successful.

Damn if they do; damn if they don't. If they say they don't like it, people believe them. If they say they like it, people don't believe them.

In any case, it revived the Godzilla franchise for them, after the declining franchise in Japan a decade ago (people forget that it has been on decline in Japan, so it's not like they themselves were doing very well with it). And at the very least, they see the new Godzilla film to be a worthy rival:

• The head of the new Godzilla project, veteran producer Taichi Ueda, told the press that, though Toho will not spend the $200 million reportedly lavished on the American “Godzilla,” “The time has come for Japan to make a film that will not lose to Hollywood.”

And that's why a Hollywood Godzilla sequel is being produced, in alternating couple years with the Japanese production. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't allow it.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
F-Man wrote:
"Tezuka Productions is pretty happy-go-lucky about selling adaptation licenses,

So they are willing to milk some of their franchises while they remain in development limbo?

Anything to keep them from simply be an "in-name-only" company I assume (but then, I knew plenty of such companies that operated that way with classic IP's).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3